Thread: Firefighters' union burns Rudy Giuliani

Default Firefighters' union burns Rudy Giuliani

A national celebrity after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has cultivated an image as a close friend to police officers and firefighters -- the first responders who won wide praise for heroism during the nation's worst terrorist attacks.

But that image is in for a pounding by the nation's largest firefighters' union, which broke publicly with Giuliani after the attacks and has since emerged as perhaps his most prominent group of critics.

The International Association of Fire Fighters Wednesday released a 13-minute video that seeks to destroy Giuliani's reputation as America's mayor.

Firefighters Burn Giuliani's 9/11 Image

With dramatic footage of the Twin Towers collapsing and interviews with firefighters and family members of 9/11 victims, the labor union's video strikes at the core of Giuliani's campaign rationale by depicting his response to the attacks as an exercise in myth-making.
    "The things that we needed to do our jobs even better, we didn't have, because of his administration," Steve Cassidy, a New York City firefighter from the Bronx and the president of the city's largest firefighters union, says in the video. Cassidy endorced President Bush in 2004.

"On the heroic memory of 343 dead firefighters, he wants to run for president of the United States. It's a disgrace."

Click HERE to watch the video.

Giuliani Fires Back

The Giuliani campaign dismisses such criticism as politically motivated griping.

Hours before the firefighters association began circulating the video, the Giuliani campaign issued a statement branding the union the "International Association of Partisan Politics," noting that the union has endorsed Democrats for president going back to Michael Dukakis in 1988.

"In 2008, I expect these same union bosses to endorse Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama or John Edwards, so today's comments are just a first step in that process," Lee Ielpi, a retired New York City firefighter, said in a statement distributed by the Giuliani campaign. "Fortunately, rank-and-file firefighters know the difference between politics and leadership."

IAFF president Harold Schaitberger said the union decided to aggressively address Giuliani's record on and around 9/11 because the former Republican mayor has made his response to the attacks the centerpiece of his campaign.

He said he wants his 280,000 members to have more information about the former mayor's record before deciding whom to support in 2008.

More at

ABC News: Giuliani Faces Firefighters' Wrath

Oooh I can't wait to hear what the Republicans say about this. They called anyone that questioned the Swift Boaters, un-American. Will they dare bash the heros of 9/11?

Fortunately, rank-and-file firefighters know the difference between politics and leadership."
    More power to them!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The repukes will smear them as best they can.. they have no morals whatsoever, and neither do people who vote for them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Exactly, and I hope the 9/11 firefighters give Giuliani the same treatment during election time as the Swifters gave Kerry. They should name themselves September the 11th Firefighters For Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Born In A Brothel View Post
    Exactly, and I hope the 9/11 firefighters give Giuliani the same treatment during election time as the Swifters gave Kerry. They should name themselves September the 11th Firefighters For Truth.
    Couldn't agree more, Brothel.

Rudy wants to use the fact that he was mayor of N.Y. on 9/11 as a way to run for President. But at the same time he supports a war that takes away from tracking down Osama and the other people responsible for the attacks, but then he'll criticize Clinton for not doing enough to prevent 9/11. Guess he thinks it's 'Giuliani Time' again.

The newest report right out of the pentagon says that Osama and his friends are more powerful than ever and able to strike deep in the US if they choose.

Bush made him worse, provided he exists at all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, if Osama has gotten stronger I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, it's not like he's had to worry about being caught by Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Rudy wants to use the fact that he was mayor of N.Y. on 9/11 as a way to run for President. But at the same time he supports a war that takes away from tracking down Osama and the other people responsible for the attacks, but then he'll criticize Clinton for not doing enough to prevent 9/11. Guess he thinks it's 'Giuliani Time' again.
    Yep, he is playing on peoples' fear, the same shit that Bush used as a platform for the 2004 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The newest report right out of the pentagon says that Osama and his friends are more powerful than ever and able to strike deep in the US if they chose.
    I saw a report on CNN the other night that gave hard facts the insurgents are more resilient than ever and have increased attacks since the surg. They showed clips of Bush making comments on the situation and he kept saying "let's wait, it's only been a couple months, let's wait until September when we get the full report, then we will decide what to do." Huh. Didn't he say the last attempt would be this surg? The dick is already looking for plan C.

He is a dictator and should shove his rubber veto stamp up his ass, twist and pull.

Silver Member

Glad the firefighters dissed Guiliani. Can't stand him. He's always kissing up to Bush. Agreeing with everything Bush does.

The general in iraq predicted september would be too close to show any REAl progress (this was said like a month ago).. theyre always trying to stretch it out and stretch it out, probably until Bush leaves office so someone else will be saddled with it

Fred Kaplan is calling the benchmark report a sham.

The outrageous White House report on Iraq. - By Fred Kaplan - Slate Magazine

Bush is totally grasping and would almost be laughable if people weren't dying for his lies by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Born In A Brothel View Post
    Fred Kaplan is calling the benchmark report a sham.

The outrageous White House report on Iraq. - By Fred Kaplan - Slate Magazine

Bush is totally grasping and would almost be laughable if people weren't dying for his lies by the hour.
    Exactly. But Bush and Cheney don't care since they and their oil company friends are getting rich off the blood of dead soldiers. That fact alone makes me wonder how anybody with any common sense can keep defending Bush.

Thread Information