Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: House votes to cut 700 mln in food stamps.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default House votes to cut 700 mln in food stamps.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives voted on Friday to cut $700 million from the food stamp program, despite objections from antihunger groups complaining that estimates show some 235,000 people would lose benefits.

The House bill, which also trimmed other social programs for the poor in an effort to reduce federal spending by $50 billion, was narrowly approved 217-215.

House and Senate negotiators now must write a final, compromise version of legislation to pare federal spending over five years. The Senate did not touch food stamps in its version of a $35 billion budget-cutting bill.

Food stamps, the major U.S. antihunger program, help poor people buy food. Some 25.8 million Americans received food stamps in a program run by the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Senate Agriculture Committee chairman Saxby Chambliss said through a spokesman that he was aiming for "zero" cuts in food stamps during talks with the House. As a committee chairman, the Georgia Republican would be a senior negotiator.

The final bill should abandon proposals to cut food stamps, urged Ellen Vollinger of the Food Research and Action Center. "In nutrition, the Senate did the right thing," she said.

Bread for the World, another antihunger group, said the prospect of food stamp cuts "will make Thanksgiving bleaker for hundreds of thousands of hard-working families." It pointed to government estimates that 38.2 million Americans live in "food insecure" households that have trouble buying enough food.

House Republican leaders say the cuts are only a sliver of food stamp spending that runs more than $35 billion a year. Earlier this week, House Majority Leader Roy Blunt said the cuts would focus the program on "the people you intended to help instead of just adding on at the edges."

In a statement, the White House said it supported the House "efforts to narrow overly broad exemptions from the food stamp program's eligibility limits." President (George W.) Bush proposed restrictions in February that are similar to the House-approved steps.

Under the House plan, roughly 165,000 people now automatically enrolled in food stamps when they get assistance from welfare programs would lose food stamps. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities said these were mostly working families with children.

States would have the option to continue offering free school lunches to families cut off of food stamps. The Center on Budget said it was unlikely all states would do so.

The House proposal also would require 70,000 legal immigrants in most cases to wait seven years to become eligible for food stamps, rather than the current five years. That brings the total number of people affected by the plan to 235,000.
    gee, I hope those faith-based initiatives aren't too busy stumping for the repugs to pick up the slack. fucking wankers. I'd like to see el shrubbo actually have to work for food for just one month. Then we'd see how much would be cut. Actually, I'd like to see him pass the No Child Left Behind test for teh third grade and then I'd think it might be a good idea. Fucking wankers! happy fucking thanksgiving!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: House votes to cut 700 mln in food stamps.

That's how they're paying for those fat tax cuts, y'all.

That's really a fucking insult to those that depend on food stamps, I mean espeically since they did it BEFORE THANKSGIVING!

and also....

House Republican leaders say the cuts are only a sliver of food stamp spending that runs more than $35 billion a year. Earlier this week, House Majority Leader Roy Blunt said the cuts would focus the program on "the people you intended to help instead of just adding on at the edges."
    What the fuck does that mean? Is Blunt saying that not all people need food stamps? What a goddamn asshole and I hope he goes to hell. I'm sorry but it kinda hits close to home for me since I know some friends that depend on food stamps for grocieries.

Son of a biaotches. Everything people work so hard far, when their looks like there some light, it just taken away. Fucking hate this shit and oh yeah, it's close to home.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Sickening.
    I just love how these fat bastards can sit and not think twice about cutting off food to starving families.

Hit By Ban Bus!

boofuckinghoo - something tells me these are not the starving types that wont be getting their treasured food stamps.

Ahh the resident conservative airs his compassionate views
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

leave it the Simpleton Bush and his cabal to have some stupid all or nothing attitude toward something like this. there needs to be a restructuring and greater regulation of food stamps, but wholesale cuts do not cut it with me. I know and have seen the abuse of the system(nothing like standing in line at the supermarket while some young punks buy 6 live lobsters-with food stamps! )but this cut will do nothing to stop the abuse of the system. And of course the abusers will be the ones who will find a way to get around the system while the really needy are left out!

Everything in the system is open to abuse...can you imagine that any system could not somehow be worked around? So that doesn't bother me one bit. The people who work the system are such a small percentage that they don't even matter. It's the people who really need the help who get screwed.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Entitlements need to cease - only the truly needy should be receiving these benefits - hopefully those individuals will continue to receive what they need. For the others that have 15 kids - real or otherwise - or the many that dont bother working at all - guess they will need to find a way to feed their families - like everyone else.

Get a freaking job - WalMart if you must.

^ So you'll be taking on the job of determining exactly who is worthy of receiving these food stamps, and absolutely nobody who is truly needy will fall through the cracks of the system?

.... riiiight.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh and we know how well Walmart pays...certainly enough to raise a family on? I suppose if you worked 1st, second, and third shift...and managed to shift a bit of dope on the side.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Oh and we know how well Walmart pays...certainly enough to raise a family on? I suppose if you worked 1st, second, and third shift...and managed to shift a bit of dope on the side.

Which would you rather, a job at Walmart or welfare? Oh - I suppose the welfare is simpler huh.

As for the Government handling the chore of who is worthy? They are SUPPOSED to be doing that now. If THOSE people who have the jobs cant, perhaps they should be working at WalMart.

Some people would rather take the welfare, yes, not because it's simpler, but because how can they possibly work enough hours at a minimum-wage job to support a family, if they need to be at home raising that family? Yes, perhaps these people should not be having children if they can't afford them, but sometimes, shit happens. I suppose it would be better to simply let those children go hungry? To let them go home to an empty house because thier mother has to work 14-hour days? To let them drop out of school at 16 because they need to get a job?

There will always be people who take advantage of any system. You can't just lop a percentage off of the aid given by that system and expect it to hit the right people, though. What would be needed to accurately revamp the system would be more careful ananylsis of who is receiving aid, and for how long. Welfare is, after all, not intended as a permanent source of income, but rather a temporary form of relief to tide people over during tough times. More staffers working more hours on behalf of such analysis would mean a higher cost, though, and less money to actually feed into the system.

It's a delicate balance, but I don't think the answer is just to cut funds and tell those people to go out and work at Wal*Mart. I'd personally rather subsidize them for a few years to stay home and actually take care of their kids, and give the next generation a chance to better the situation.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

I hate Walmart. I think every person who has ever sat on the Board of Directors needs to be pulled in front of a Senate Commission and then be arrested for maltreatment or something. If they can go after Clinton then they should be able to come up with some type of charges for these idiots. These people only care about themselves.

WORKERS UNITE!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information