Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pres. Bush vetoed legislation that would've expanded federal funding for stem cell

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Pres. Bush vetoed legislation that would've expanded federal funding for stem cell

President Bush today vetoed legislation that would have expanded federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, the White House said.
    cnn.com
    hey guess wat Bush?! GO TO HELLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fucking idiot, i wish a disease upon you that coulda been cured w/ that funding!

OUR PRESIDENT HATES PROGRESS! In turn, he hates us!

Bush vetoes bill aimed at promoting stem cell research
    Story Highlights
    • As promised, Bush vetoes stem cell research bill
    • Bush signs executive order urging "ethically responsible" research in the field
    • Embryonic stem cells hold potential to battle diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's
    • Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to schedule override vote "very, very quickly"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vetoing a stem cell bill for the second time, President Bush on Wednesday sought to placate those who disagree with him by signing an executive order urging scientists toward what he termed "ethically responsible" research in the field.

Bush announced no new federal dollars for stem cell research, which supporters say holds the promise of disease cures, and his order would not allow researchers to do anything they couldn't do under existing restrictions.

Announcing his veto to a roomful of supporters, Bush said, "If this legislation became law, it would compel American taxpayers for the first time in our history to support the deliberate destruction of human embryos. I made it clear to Congress and to the American people that I will not allow our nation to cross this moral line."

He vetoed similar embryonic stem cell legislation last July. (Interactive: Past vetoes by Bush and other presidents)

His executive order encourages scientists to work with the government to add other kinds of stem cell research to the list of projects eligible for federal funding -- so long as it does not create, harm or destroy human embryos.

Democrats, focusing on the potential for cures or treatments of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other diseases, made the embryonic stem cell legislation a priority when they took control of the House and Senate in January.

"President Bush won't listen to the more than 500 leading organizations who support the bill including AARP, the American Medical Association and the American Diabetes Association, just to name a few," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said.

"President Bush won't listen to the 80 Nobel laureates or his own director of the National Institutes of Health, who all support embryonic stem cell research. Most importantly, President Bush won't listen to the overwhelming majority of Americans who call out for stem cell research."

Reid to schedule override vote
    Reid said he would schedule an override vote "very, very quickly," but not until Wyoming selects a temporary replacement for Republican Sen. Craig Thomas, who died two weeks ago. Democrats do not have enough votes to override Bush's veto.

The stem cell issue has weighty political and ethical implications. Public opinion polls show strong support for the research, and it could return as an issue in the 2008 elections.

Republican presidential hopefuls are split on the scope of federal involvement in embryonic stem cell research. Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani have broken with Bush -- and the GOP's social conservatives -- in backing the expansion of federal funding for such research. At the Republican debate May 3, Giuliani said he supports such an expansion with limits, "as long as we're not creating life in order to destroy it, as long as we're not having human cloning."

Rivals Mitt Romney and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas oppose the expansion. As governor of Massachusetts, Romney tried to stop legislation that encouraged expanded embryonic stem cell research. His veto was overturned.

Most of the Democratic candidates have urged Bush to expand the research.

The president is "deferring the hopes of millions of Americans who do not have the time to keep waiting for the cure that may save or extend lives," Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, R-New York, said if she is elected president, she will lift restrictions on stem cell research.

"This is just one example of how the president puts ideology before science, politics before the needs of our families," she said.

And former Sen. John Edwards, also vying for the Democratic presidential nomination, said the president "had a simple choice today: direct the full force of American scientific ingenuity towards responsible, life-saving medical research or pander to a narrow segment of his political base."

"With his veto, he made the wrong choice," he said in a statement.

Scientists were first able to conduct research with embryonic stem cells in 1998, according to the National Institutes of Health. There were no federal funds available for the work until Bush announced on August 9, 2001, that his administration would spend tax money for research on lines of cells that already were in existence.

The White House says that since 2001, the administration has made $130 million available for research on stem cell lines derived from embryos that already had been destroyed before Bush's policy was announced. It also has provided more than $3 billion in federal dollars for research on non-embryonic sources.

States and private organizations are permitted to fund embryonic stem cell research, but federal support is limited to cells that existed as of August 9, 2001. The latest bill was aimed at lifting that restriction.

Bush said his executive order directs the Health and Human Services Department to promote research into cells that -- like human embryonic stem cells -- also hold the potential of regenerating into different types of cells that might be used to battle disease, and make them eligible for federal funding.

The order also renames the NIH's Embryonic Stem Cell Registry the Pluripotent Stem Cell Registry so that it reflects what the stem cells can do, instead of their origin. Pluripotent stem cells are ones that can give rise to any kind of cell in the body except those required to develop a fetus.

Bush: This is not the only option before us
    "Destroying human life in the hopes of saving human life is not ethical, and it is not the only option before us," said Bush, who appeared on stage with Kaitlyne McNamara of Middletown, Connecticut, who was born with spina bifida, and is benefiting from what he called "ethical stem cell research."

Sean Tipton, president of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, expressed anger and disgust at the veto and Bush's order.

"His executive order directing NIH to continue pursing alternate forms of research is nothing new since NIH has already been conducting this research for the past 20 years," Tipton said.

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colorado, the bill's chief Democratic supporter who has a daughter with juvenile diabetes, said the executive order is not a substitute for easing funding restrictions.

"While I support these other methods of research, the consensus among the scientific community is that these methods are years behind the progress of embryonic stem cell research," she said, adding that British scientists recently announced that embryonic stem cells may be used to cure a form of macular degeneration within five years. "This research was made possible by an anonymous donation from a U.S. donor, who has become frustrated by curbs on stem cell work in this country."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    Bush vetoes bill aimed at promoting stem cell research - CNN.com
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; June 20th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.

And the reasoning is it goes against HIS personal beliefs? i can understand how this a controversial issue, though, it's still too bad that we're not able to reach this level of development.

Silver Member

This may be of interest

YouTube - The Politics of Stem Cell Research

Anyone against using embryos for stem cell research should also be against harvesting them in fertility clinics. I'd like to see Bush take that position and see how far it gets him.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ exactly! I'd like to see Bush take any position that made logical sense; the moron!

I guess we all know by now that until the federal governement stops meddling with our lives, and giving more States rights( GO CALIAFORNIANS!) this will always be an ongoing issue. Spoken like a true libertarian. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ exactly! I'd like to see Bush take any position that made logical sense; the moron!
    He can't, and he won't. It's not in his 'moronic' capacity of a brain!

OCK

Don't you people know that potential babies are more important than the health of real people who have led full lives and contributed to society?! /sarcasm
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Bronze Member

I frequently wonder why a majority of US citizens felt it was a good idea to keep this backward megalomaniac in power. He is an embarrasment to his nation - I hope he doesn't get to do more damage before his second term ends.

Quote Originally Posted by OCK View Post
    Don't you people know that potential babies are more important than the health of real people who have led full lives and contributed to society?! /sarcasm
    Yeah, I too am getting tired of this feeling/anxiety that my life is not important enough for some of these <other> subsidies that are used for hell knows what. Why can't this one be put on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlite View Post
    I frequently wonder why a majority of US citizens felt it was a good idea to keep this backward megalomaniac in power. He is an embarrasment to his nation - I hope he doesn't get to do more damage before his second term ends.
    we didn't the election was rigged
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I like that.

People might be offended by tax dollars going to stem cell research, but tax dollars going to buy bombs and bullets to kill people is fine.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I frequently wonder why a majority of US citizens felt it was a good idea to keep this backward megalomaniac in power.
    It was fear of 'changing horses in the middle of the stream' and he played that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I like that.

People might be offended by tax dollars going to stem cell research, but tax dollars going to buy bombs and bullets to kill people is fine.
    Um...that's for our

p r o t e c t i o n.

Duh!

Embryonic stem cell research is against God's plan (and who wants to find cures to save all those sick people anyway? They just muck up the gene pool with their weakness). He just wants us to bomb the shit out of other countries and kill thousands and thousands of people. And get oil. And stop the gays from marrying. Have you never read a little thing called The Bible? It's all in there.

Jeeeesh people. Get a clue!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlite View Post
    Other than the fact that the election was rigged like in 2000, two other factors came into play. 1) He managed to scare people with the idea of gay marriage and family values, and 2) the Democrats couldn't put up a worthy candidate. They keep trying to go with the anti-Bill Clinton and it bites them in the ass everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Other than the fact that the election was rigged like in 2000, two other factors came into play. 1) He managed to scare people with the idea of gay marriage and family values, and 2) the Democrats couldn't put up a worthy candidate. They keep trying to go with the anti-Bill Clinton and it bites them in the ass everytime.
    Well, hopefully this 'facade' will stick out or more likely fade away.... I'm really hoping we're smarter to NOT go down that path again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information