Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 44th PRESIDENT ELECTED BARACK OBAMA

I just want to say,i am happy for you ,my friends,happy for your tears of joy,happy for your new hope for the future..
    I trully hope this will help the rest of our struggling World also.
    Now allow me a joke,ok?
    Will you still call the White house,White house or Black House ,now?lol of course

I'm so, so happy and I'm not even American! This is a great day!
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post

Great Pictures.. Look at the two of them enjoying each other..

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^ I know, isn't it refreshing?

WELL DONE AMERICA!!!

I put the radio on at exactly 6am this morning, to be greeted by the hourly peeps, then there was silence, followed by Obama's speech. I paused midway between putting my socks on thinking...'oh my god...has he won??' and then the presenter announced the news. He had...I screeched with excitement and danced into the bedroom telling my bleary eyed husband 'Obama won!!'
    I listened to the news on my way to work with a huge grin on my face as I heard the speeches, the cheering, and the sense of joy that came through the stereo. A legendary event. I'm so happy for the USA, and the world...now I hope he lives up to his promise, he's got a lot of bad work to undo!!

Go Obama!

DAMNIT.. I thought I was done crying and now all these pictures have turned me into a blubbering baby again.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    DAMNIT.. I thought I was done crying and now all these pictures have turned me into a blubbering baby again.
    I have been crying for 24hrs now, and know that I will continue to cry well after the inauguration. I cry with every story I hear, I cry just thinking what this means, I cry because at the joy of not being stuck with Palin, I cry knowing that there is work still to be done to erase prejudices against everyone! I also cry when I think about the overwhelming majority in which he won by!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    No offense taken. This change hit me on two levels:

1) Seeing Obama win the White House was a turning of the page in American history. From the slave ships, to the plantations, to Jim Crow, to the Civil Rights Movement, it seemed as if all was build up for last night. If Hillary put 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, Obama shattered it completely. And his win showed people, of all races, that there really is no limitation to the goals you can reach for. Now Obama's win doesn't end racism in America, but it shows that America is taking a major step in the right direction. And the fact that over 60% of Obama supporters are white speaks volumes. And for black people Obama's win represents a sense of true acceptance as Americans.

2) Obama's win signals the end of the Bush Error. America had become a different place under George Bush, and a not for the better. Things had become too divisive with both domestic and foreign policy. Obama's, I mean President Obama's, landslide victory was a rejection of the politics of the last 8 years. It really feels like a new day in America. Now that's not to say that Obama's going to wave a magic wand and all of the problems will vanish, but if he runs this country with half of the success that he ran his campaign then he's going to be a damn good president.

Really awesome post! You nailed everything! And its wonderful to see people enjoy is win so much. Just a beautiful part of history to be witness to! Am I the only one who thinks how priveledged I am to see it happen first hand and to have voted in the election!

I just feel like I was a part of history.. and it's something I actually believe in, something I defended, something that, collectively, we all brought to fruition.. we made this possible.. we incited hope rather than racism or prejudices.. I've learned a lot about myself during this whole thing.. it's given me a renewed sense of hope, a pride I don't think I've ever had before, and this fire within me that is so invigorating because I don't think I've ever been this positively passionate about our country before. I'm so excited to see what the next few years bring... I'm just so excited that we're dragging ourselves out of the darkness and into the light. I'm just so happy for all of us and I feel like we're all in this together now.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    I cry because at the joy of not being stuck with Palin
    Sing it, SS!

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks how priveledged I am to see it happen first hand and to have voted in the election!
    Absolutely. I am so so so proud to be a part of this moment in history! To have voted in this election and campaigned for this man and Joe Biden and just, wow. There aren't enough words.

We have a fucking COOL president of the United States of America! I seriously wondered sometimes if I'd ever say those words again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I agree completely, that concession speech was incredibly classy and thoughtful, I was touched. I also believe that McCain isn't inherently a "bad guy", he just chose poor judgment and he couldn't weather the storm. He cowered when he made his choice of Palin, and that sealed his fate. I don't think he relished playing the "bad guy", and I think if Palin hadn't been his running mate, he would have run a much classier race. Palin brought out the worst in his campaign, and she brought out the worst of the Republicans. Thats why I hope she crawls back to Alaska and stays there.
    I don't really think McCain's loss can be blamed on Palin. She didn't help the situation, but he lost mainly because of 1. the economy and 2. the last 8 years. And because he was running against such a strong candidate. If he had, say, Romney as his VP I don't think he would have won either. McCain's ship sank at the same time the economy did. The polls were really tight before that, in many he was actually ahead. Also, what makes you believe without Palin he would have run a classier race? (not trying to be rude at all I'm honestly just curious ) Because I feel like the negative attack ads and fear-mongering didn't have much to do with her at all, he just got desperate after the economic crisis- when his numbers started to go down.

But I agree that he handled himself with a lot of class during that concession speech, and towards the end at his rallies he was even stopping people from booing or making comments about Obama. I do have respect for him, some of which was lost during the months before the election, some of which I still feel- simply because of the way he didn't abandon his friends during his POW days (as much as we make fun of it, I do respect him for it).
    Last edited by nycgirl; November 5th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    I just feel like I was a part of history.. and it's something I actually believe in, something I defended, something that, collectively, we all brought to fruition.. we made this possible.. we incited hope rather than racism or prejudices.. I've learned a lot about myself during this whole thing.. it's given me a renewed sense of hope, a pride I don't think I've ever had before, and this fire within me that is so invigorating because I don't think I've ever been this positively passionate about our country before. I'm so excited to see what the next few years bring... I'm just so excited that we're dragging ourselves out of the darkness and into the light. I'm just so happy for all of us and I feel like we're all in this together now.
    I do appreciate that about what this election has done for people regarding that...

Myself, I didn't need to vote for Obama to know that we already have been this kind of counrty for a while. Slavery and everything associated with it happened EONS ago, we are a different country since then, even before this election. This election is proof for some, but we didn't just become that kind of country just because of the election. Like I said, we already were that kind of country, maybe some needed this to believe it.
    Id rather be hated for who I am than loved for who Im not

Oh dear.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWifey View Post
    I do appreciate that about what this election has done for people regarding that...

Myself, I didn't need to vote for Obama to know that we already have been this kind of counrty for a while. Slavery and everything associated with it happened EONS ago, we are a different country since then, even before this election. This election is proof for some, but we didn't just become that kind of country just because of the election. Like I said, we already were that kind of country, maybe some needed this to believe it.

I agree with this. This is part of the vindication to me. I got so many emails during the election from friends of ours asking us things like "What if the races were reversed and Palin's family was black and Obama's was white" etc etc etc. And while I do acknowledge that racism exists, I wrote back months ago that I believed that Obama would win, in a huge victory, then come back and tell us white folks how racist we all are. Because dammit, I agree with you. Family's are so diverse these days and the world so much more connected that we are indeed living in different times.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWifey View Post

I agree and disagree in some respects. I know that we've come a very long way regarding civil rights--this election and its outcome is proof of that-- but we still have a long way to go. I think we were just at a standstill regarding racial relations within this country.. it's been stagnant for a while, IMO, and this election has put it back into peoples minds.. the fact that we need change and can't just stay in the same place, biding our time, saying "one day change might come along"... The opportunity for that change came along and I assume my pride and happiness stems from the fact that I feel like we all came together and answered the call for hope. I felt like I was in the minority for so long, being so apathetic about our government and disapproving of the administration we had for 8 long years, and this just made me feel like a part of something bigger.. It's incomparable, but I felt like we all united just like people did back in the 60s for a common cause, a common passion, all linked together by this one charismatic person representing change.

On the other hand, this election has really brought out some latent racism and prejudices that would have otherwise stayed hidden in the small pockets of America in which their open expression is permissible. That was one side of America that I'm not proud of and I hope we can change that.. I'm hoping and praying that people will come around and realize that this whole thing is more than just Dems vs Reps... red vs blue.. it's about ushering in a new era of hope that so many of us, young and old alike, haven't felt in a long time.

Thread Information