Thread: L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announces separation from wife!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announces separation from wife!

BREAKING NEWS:
    After denying for months that he was having marital problems, Friday Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced he and his wife of 20+ years were separating.

uh oh, a single man can't run for govenor and president like I know our ambitious mayor wants to do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post

uh oh, a single man can't run for govenor and president like I know our ambitious mayor wants to do!!!
    this guy is such an asshole. he's been denying forever that they were in trouble. she's better off
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

yeah i heard he cheated on her while she was in the hospital with cancer so i'm not sure.......

Wow....can't say I'm totally surprised, but I guess I'm just a little bit.

knbc.com
    Villaraigosa Takes Responsibility For Separation From Wife

POSTED: 7:19 am PDT June 11, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:02 pm PDT June 11, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Monday he takes responsibility for his separation from his wife, Corina, after 20 years of marriage.

Video: Mayor's News Conference |Video: Monday Report

"I take responsibility for what is happening and I feel a personal sense of failure about it, and that's all I'm prepared to say on this question," Villaraigosa said during a City Hall news conference.

"While the public has a right to know about this change in our status as a family, I'm not going to entertain questions about our personal private lives," he said. "I ask that the public and the media respect our privacy, the same privacy that any family has a right to expect."

Villaraigosa deflected questions probing whether he had been romantically involved with other women since he took office July 1, 2005.

"This is a private matter, it's a matter between me and my family," Villaraigosa said in a stern tone. "Those kinds of questions are inappropriate. I will not answer them. My family and I have a right during this very difficult time to go through this process free of that kind of speculation."

It was unclear whether the couple will file for separation or divorce, according to mayoral aide Matt Szabo.

"They're going to work that out together," Szabo said.

Villaraigosa's two oldest daughters from a previous relationship -- Marisela Villar and Prisila Villar-Contreras -- along with his brother Rob Delgado, sister Deborah Villar, and her son, Aaron Monarrez, sat nearby during the news conference.

His wife and their two teenage children -- son Antonio Jr. and daughter Natalia Fe -- did not attend.

Villar-Contreras appeared the most visibly upset, with tears welling up during her eyes during her father's statement.

Villaraigosa said he will temporarily move out of Getty House, the city's official mayoral residence in Windsor Square, and back to his Mount Washington home, while his wife -- a teacher in the Montebello Unified School District --and teenage children initially remain at the mayoral residence.

It's unclear what will happen after the transition period, he said. "We haven't worked out all the arrangements at this time. We're working those details out."

Villaraigosa's marital status had become the subject of intense speculation for several months, triggered when he was spotted in public without his wedding ring. At the time, Villaraigosa said he had lost weight and the ring needed to be re-fitted.

In late January, blogger Luke Ford alleged that the Villaraigosas had split. Villaraigosa then told the Los Angeles Times that the report was "absolutely not true" and that he, his wife and their children were still living at Getty House.

The Villaraigosas have weathered marital woes before, but the mayor called this split from his wife a "very difficult decision and a very painful time for me and my family."

"This was a hard decision, it was not taken lightly ... but we'll make it together as a family," he said.

The day following his 1994 election to the state Assembly -- capping a campaign in which he positioned himself as a dedicated family man -- Corina filed for divorce. She had been battling thyroid cancer throughout the campaign, and learned that he had left town for several days with the wife of one of their friends.

His actions lost him several key supporters, and the couple remained estranged for about 2 1/2 years before reconciling.

During Monday's news conference, Villaraigosa praised Corina as a "strong and vibrant woman" and "an outstanding mother, an exceptional example for the entire community," and said they will continue to focus on their teenage children.

Villaraigosa's predecessor as mayor, James Hahn, separated from his wife, Monica, after 19 years of marriage in 2003 -- also two years into his first term.

Hahn's predecessor, Richard Riordan, announced last month that he had separated from his wife, Nancy, after nine years of marriage.

When Antonio Villar married Corina Raigosa in 1987, the couple fused their names together, resulting in the surname Villaraigosa.

Villaraigosa intends to keep his last name, according to mayoral aides.
    Copyright 2007 by KNBC.com and KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    kinda sickening

Thread Information