Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karl Zinsmeister, "I'll never hire another woman because they just get pregnant"

SVZ

Default Karl Zinsmeister, "I'll never hire another woman because they just get pregnant"

Karl Zinsmeister is currently President Bush’s chief domestic policy adviser, hired when Claude Allen stepped down after being charged with shoplifting. Before joining the White House, Zinsmeister was editor in chief of The American Enterprise, the conservative think tank’s magazine. In a piece he wrote in 1996, Zinsmeister stated, “[C]olorblindness has become a real risk today. … The penalty for the person who, ignoring race, turns down the wrong street today can literally be death.”
    A new article in The New Republic shows that Zinsmeister was also hostile toward women. A former American Enterprise editor, Karina Rollins, remembers that Zinsmeister constantly attacked the magazine’s art director, Jo Roback-Paul, criticizing her for going to a doctor’s appointment and for taking maternity leave:
    But the biggest grievance harbored by the magazine’s staff concerned Zinsmeister himself. “He went to his son’s basketball game, and then he would give Jo [Roback-Pal] a hard time about a doctor’s appointment,” Rollins says. … While Zinsmeister frequently complained about Roback-Pal to other staffers at the magazine — telling [then-business manager Garth] Cadiz that she was “useless” and “never there” — her former colleagues say that she never missed a deadline and that he was “abusive” toward her. When she angered him by taking a four-month maternity leave, Zinsmeister told Cadiz, “I am never going to hire another woman because they just get pregnant and leave.”
    Unfortunately for Zinsmeister, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act states that employers cannot discriminate on the “basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.”
    The Bush administration has a track record of using pregnancy as an excuse to not hire women. It’s unclear whether Zinsmeister has lived up to his no-women pledge while at the White House.

Think Progress » Zinsmeister: ‘I’ll Never Hire Another Woman Because They Just Get Pregnant And Leave’

I wouldn't expect anything less from a Bush insider. I wonder how this tool thinks he came into the world? Presumably some woman got herself pregnant and took time off work -- paid or otherwise -- to deliver his sorry ass.

Assholes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I knew a woman who kept getting knocked up at the office.. she'd come back for 3 months and then boom.. off on mat leave again.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Well, I'll play devil's advocate and say that, while he sounds like an ass in general, I understand some of the frustration in dealing with women in the workplace. As a woman of childbearing age who doesn't want children (ever!), I fear a backlash due to all the legislation surrounding pregnancy and maternity leave. Honestly, it doesn't seem right that a company can be mandated to keep your job open while you are on maternity leave and then at the end of your leave you can just decide (as many women do) that you aren't coming back after all. The company could have hired/trained someone else but they had to hold your place while you tried to decide what you were going to do with the rest of your life. It's even worse in Europe where hypothetically a woman could be gone most of the time having one kid after another at the taxpayer's expense (while having their jobs held for them). Since I don't buy the 'takes a village' bs I'm not swayed with arguments about how it's better for society overall to essentially be paying people not to work. Honestly, if I was an employer, I'd probably try to find ways to hire men or older women in the empty nester age bracket.

As far as my own life goes, I was raised by a single working mother who, interestingly, never blathered on about how haaaaard it was and never felt entitled to having anyone else, much less her boss, help raise her kid. She just lived by the philosophy that you do what you have to do and even if it's not easy, you do it anyway. People who bitch ad nauseum about civil liberties and keeping the government out of their lives sure can be quick to expect the government and their employers to make them comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I was raised by a single working mother who, interestingly, never blathered on about how haaaaard it was and never felt entitled to having anyone else, much less her boss, help raise her kid .
    She must have given you birth during her coffee break then

Just pop one out on the way to the candy machine
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She must have given you birth during her coffee break then.
    Nope. It's not that I'm opposed to maternity leave as a concept. Short term disability covers it in most workplaces. But many women do decide at the end of their leave not to come back and the employer has to start from scratch. This could really be problematic for small businesses as well as the colleagues who are doing the work in the woman's absence, often without any additional compensation.

I think a lot of people have taken employer accommodations for granted and they have come to feel entitled to these accommodations(this applies to things much broader than maternity leave). Women have always worked, so it's not like working moms are a new concept. How did they ever manage? It also gets me when women complain that their workplaces aren't family friendly when they can't even find the balls to make their own households family friendly (as in the woman works all day, then still lets herself get saddled with 90% of the household chores and child care......they complain about it but they still do it).

I don't expect my view to be popular and really don't care if it is or not. For what it's worth, I think work/life balance is something that all workers should strive for and sometimes that means examining our personal choices (and I don't mean just whether/when to have kids) as well as looking to our employers to assist in that.

I would never hire two of the women I work with again if I knew this was how it would be after they had kids. Not that I hired them in the first place, but a few of them have caused quite a bit of turmoil in the office. HR will do nothing because they are afraid of a lawsuit, but I have to tell you they have turned this place upside down. They are late everyday and when I say everyday, I mean everyday. They leave early several times a week, they miss two days per month each on average. They work in the same department so one week A is out, the next week B, followed by A, etc.

Now, I still think that woman should have maternity leave and it's crazy to not hire a woman because she may or may not have kids. I'm just ranting about the two trolls I work with.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Here's an idea: take a page out of the Scandinavian notebook and make sure everyone has access to affordable childcare during the pre-school years and after school care during the first few years of school. In addition, make sure that women and men are both able to take maternity/paternity leave for a decent amount of time so that they have time to bond with thier babies and stop making this all about mothers. If men stepped up to the plate and took their fair share of the childcare responsibility, I guarantee we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Also, what can you expect from someone running around with the moniker Zinsmeister. That just has to mean uptight asshole in German.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Big surprise. He also is in favor of making abortion illegal and putting abortion doctors in jail.

Big surprise. He also is in favor of making abortion illegal and putting abortion doctors in jail.
    Well, a lot of his ideas seem pretty contradictory then.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

what an asshole! does he forget where he came from?! A WOMAN'S BIRTH CANAL; THE DUMB FUCKASS!!!

I wish men could get pregnant just once. It would be great fun to see lol.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

my bf said he would if he could b/c i told him thats the one thing stopping me; the whole 9 months of hell on my body and emotions crap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information