Thread: President Bush shown driving without seat belt during 'Click it or Ticket' campaign

SVZ

Default President Bush shown driving without seat belt during 'Click it or Ticket' campaign

President Bush shown driving without seat belt during 'Click it or Ticket' campaign

USA TODAY's David Jackson says the White House press corps is buzzing over the latest mystery: Does President Bush wear a seat belt?
    Spokesman Tony Snow declined to answer that query Tuesday morning, after a reporter pointed out that Bush appeared to be sans seat belt when tooling around in his pickup truck last weekend. Bush was driving around his ranch in Texas, giving a tour to NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer. (Video)

Snow said "I didn't ask" and "I don't know" when asked whether Bush uses seat belts. Ditto for whether Bush wears a safety belts while traveling in a presidential motorcade.

The government spends a lot of money on the president's health and safety, and Snow said he has seen Bush wear a belt in the presidential limo, though his analysis is not comprehensive.

"My ventures in the limo are relatively rare," Snow said.

The news that Bush isn't religious about wearing a seat belt comes as police across the USA are cracking down on drivers and passengers as part of the federal government's "Click it or Ticket" campaign.

A quick search of USA TODAY's photo archive suggests that the president went without a seat belt while he was driving Russian President Vladimir Putin, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

Bush isn't alone. Not long ago, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine suffered serious injuries because he wasn't strapped in when his SUV crashed into a guardrail at more than 90 mph.

U.S. News & World Report says many elected officials skip the seat belt, including Bill Clinton and former House Speaker Dennis Hastert. (Nancy Pelosi, the current speaker, wears hers about 75% of the time, according to the magazine.)
    And this could be the only area of agreement between Bush and his nemesis in Venezuela. Back in March, a widely published photo showed Hugo Chavez and Nicaraguan leader Daniel Noriega driving to the airport without seat belts.

Update at 12:17 p.m. ET: Texas has also embarked on a "click it or ticket" campaign, including the display of a seat belt around the Alamo - but the law does not apply to private property.

"On private property, you're not required to wear your seat belt," Tela Mange, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, says. She said "it's fairly common" in Texas, which has a fair share of large ranches.

President Bush shown driving without seat belt during 'Click it or Ticket' campaign - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

I don't think it's a law that you have to wear a seat belt on your private property, I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Good. May he continue to drive without a seatbelt. I hope he handles a car as well as he handles a mountain bike, a Segway scooter and pretzels.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I don't think it's a law that you have to wear a seat belt on your private property, I may be wrong but I doubt it.
    i dont think so either, but he's such a boob. he has a chance to up his image a bit and blows it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information