Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush to veto hate-crime bill; religious gay-bashing groups cheer

Angry Bush to veto hate-crime bill; religious gay-bashing groups cheer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House issued a veto threat Thursday against legislation that would expand federal hate crime law to include attacks motivated by the victims' gender or sexual orientation.

The hate crimes bill, with strong Democratic backing, is expected to pass the House Thursday. Similar legislation is moving through the Senate.

But the legislation, which also would increase the penalties for bias-based violence, has met outspoken resistance from conservative groups and their Republican allies in Congress, who warn that it undermines freedom of speech, religious expression and equal protection under the law.

The White House, in a statement, said state and local criminal laws already provide penalties for the crimes defined by the bill and "there has been no persuasive demonstration of any need to federalize such a potentially large range of violent crime enforcement."

It also questioned the constitutionality of federalizing the acts of violence barred by the bill and said that if it reaches the president's desk "his senior advisers would recommend that he veto the bill."

The White House also noted that the bill would leave out other classes such as the elderly, members of the military or police officers.

Hate crimes under current federal law apply to acts of violence against individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, or national original. Federal prosecutors have jurisdiction only if the victim is engaged in a specific federally protected activity such as enrolling in school, voting or traveling between states.

The House bill would extend the hate crimes category to include sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability.

That would make it easier for federal authorities to become involved in hate crimes, although House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., said in a statement that state and local authorities will continue to prosecute the overwhelming majority of such cases.

"To ensure federal restraint, the bill requires the attorney general or another high-ranking Justice Department official to approve any prosecutions undertaken pursuant to this measure," he said. He also stressed that it does not impinge on public speech, religious expression or writing.

Those using guns to commit crimes defined under the bill would face prison terms of up to 10 years. Crimes involving kidnapping or sexual assault or resulting in death could bring life terms.

The Judiciary Committee cited FBI figures that there have been more than 113,000 hate crimes since 1991, including 7,163 in 1995. It said that racially motivated bias accounted for 55% of those incidents, religious bias for 17%, sexual orientation bias for 14% and ethnicity bias for 14%.
    yes, it's freedom of speech to bash gays now, its freedom of speech to spread hate-language, to incite violence, all because you think your sky fairy storybook says you should.

I'm sorry, but your freedom of speech needs a leash. So glad we have hate-speech laws up here. All these idiots would be rotting in a jailcell by now.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

He's just doing this shit to pander to the religious right. He'd be nowhere without them. It's sickening and pathetic. (both him and them)

Yeah, like far-right hate groups such as "Focus on the Family" and their ilk. It's amazing how these groups can be officially labelled as such and have the Federal government courting them. Doesn't that strike anybody as particularely sick?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The ONLY reason they're courted is the power in numbers. There's a story of how Bush Daddy and Bush Baby met a long time ago to decide how to get him into office. (Of course all the other evil minions were in attendance as well.) They decided to pander to the religious right, and then Dobson got big for his britches and started issuing ultimatums about withdrawing his troops from the support of this current administration. It's all sick and disgusting. Particularly because we've been taken down. We're imploding. It's Cabaret, and few are paying attention or realize what's going on.
    Last edited by Mira; May 3rd, 2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors - sheesh

hahaha check this out:

Steny Hoyer and John Conyers just pulled a fast one on the GOP. The GOP has been refusing to support the hate crimes bill because it doesn't include members of the US Armed Forces and senior citizens. Conyers just rose and basically said, okay, I'll add them. The Republicans' response? Uh, no.

The Republicans have been railing for days about how this legislation doesn't cover our Armed Forces and senior citizens, and now that the Dems offer to put our Armed Forces and seniors in this legislation, the Republicans said no and affirmatively stopped the Democrats from doing it anyway.

That means the Republicans had no intent on helping our Armed Forces and seniors, on protecting them. It was just a stunt. The GOP leaders in Congress just got up and used our Armed Forces and seniors as political fodder when they had no intent on actually doing anything to help our Armed Forces and seniors.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth

Hit By Ban Bus!

^This kind of shit is why I stopped listening to politics every day. It will make you crazy and angry if you let yourself have a steady stream. I guess that's why I like progressive radio, because they have on guests who are taking action in various ways to counter this type of shit. Of course, there's nothing as fascist as a good solid veto, now is there?

Yeah, unfortunately their methods arent working for shit. They're still as useless and spineless as ever.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Well gawd, if Don Imus had only been able to prove some of those players are lesbos, he could have made a slightly different comment and been in the clear.

What's interesting about this is that religion (a choice) is protected under hate crime legislation, but sexual orientation (not a choice) is not.

The christofascist are just wetting their manties because their special status is now threatened with being commonplace for everyone.

Also of note, I never knew a "useless" bill needed vetoing. Not so useless, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yes, it's freedom of speech to bash gays now, its freedom of speech to spread hate-language, to incite violence, all because you think your sky fairy storybook says you should.

I'm sorry, but your freedom of speech needs a leash. So glad we have hate-speech laws up here. All these idiots would be rotting in a jailcell by now.
    I love the hate speech laws here. It's what got Fred Phelps banned from Canada. He'll be arrested at the border for hate crimes if he ever tries to enter our country again. I love it.

All these bigots should try to come to Canada.

Ooo let's arrange a press junket for them so they can step across the border and thrown into a dank cell.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

when Bush becomes a civilian again; i cant wait to track him down at the local honkey bar and take a big ol' shit on his face!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    when Bush becomes a civilian again; i cant wait to track him down at the local honkey bar and take a big ol' shit on his face!

I hope the fucker does not live long enough to become a civilian..hope Laura(who has moved out on his ass and into a hotel I have heard) kills him in a fit of rage or something over his renewed and increasing drinking..
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sojiita, I would love it if ole Laura would do just that - and utilize your signature quote while he's goin' down

I really cannot believe that he would veto this expanded hate crime bill - what happened to impeaching him again? How did this even happen?!?!

I thought Bush & Co. worked for all the people...why isn't this fucker accountable for ANYTHING?!?!

if he vetoes, can't they override it? Can anyone override the president's veto?
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information