Thread: Oregon: Domestic partners bill wins final OK

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation Oregon: Domestic partners bill wins final OK

Domestic partners bill wins final OK

04:43 PM PDT on Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Associated Press and kgw.com Staff

A bill giving Oregon's gays and lesbians the benefits of marriage won final approval Wednesday in the Oregon Legislature.

The Senate endorsed the measure 21-9, sending it to Gov. Ted Kulongoski. The governor is a gay rights supporter who says he will sign that bill along with another one passed earlier to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The marriage benefits bill would enable same-sex couples to enter into contractual relationships that grant them the same benefits state law offers to married couples. The bill calls the relationships "domestic partnerships."

The measure won the unanimous endorsement of the Senate's majority Democrats, with Republican Sens. Frank Morse of Albany and Dave Nelson of Pendleton adding support.

When Kulongoski signs the measure, Oregon will join Vermont, Connecticut, California, New Jersey and Washington state in offering civil unions or domestic partnerships to same-sex couples.

Hawaii extends certain spousal rights to same-sex couples, along with cohabiting heterosexual pairs. The New Hampshire Legislature last week approved a civil unions measure that's expected to be signed into law soon. Massachusetts allows gay couples to marry.
    Domestic partners bill wins final OK | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington
    I do like the politics of Oregon. I can't wait to see the gay couple from Oregon on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update

The one from Connecticut and NJ were funny as hell!

wtg oregon one day maybe this will be country wide(and maybe all the fundies will buy an island and leave the rest of us normal folks alone)
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

As a local Oregonian I say "thanks" It's nice to live in a state that has more progressive thinking. However, I think most of the state would disagree, it's basically 3 counties that make Oregon as liberal as it is. I can't complain

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ thats true. the politics are liberal; the jack-hole bible-thumper residents are not.

Thread Information