Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush sending 12000 more badly trained national guardsmen to iraq

Thumbs down Bush sending 12000 more badly trained national guardsmen to iraq

So that surge is going to be around 30, 40000 troops instead of 20, and how long is it lasting exactly?

Would someone please kick Bush out of the white house? Not one thing that has come out of their mouths has been truthful.

WASHINGTON - Coming on the heels of a controversial “surge” of 21,000 U.S. troops that has stretched the Army thin, the Defense Department is preparing to send an additional 12,000 National Guard combat forces to Iraq and Afghanistan, defense officials told NBC News on Thursday.

The troops will come from four Guard combat brigades in different states, the officials told NBC News’ chief Pentagon correspondent, Jim Miklaszewski. They said papers ordering the deployment, which would run for one year beginning in early 2008, were awaiting Defense Secretary Robert Gates’ signature.

The deployment is sure to ignite a firestorm on Capitol Hill, where Democrats in Congress are maneuvering to scale back the U.S. commitment in Iraq. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., is pushing a proposal to end most spending on the war in 2008, limiting it to targeted operations against al-Qaida, training for Iraqi troops and protection for U.S. forces

“I think this was all concealed until we got through the election,” said retired Army Gen. Barry McCaffrey, a military analyst for NBC News. “There’s no way to sustain the current rate of deployments without calling up probably nine National Guard brigades in the coming year for involuntary second tours.”

Gates did not mention the Guard deployment in a news conference Thursday at the Pentagon. Earlier this year, he revised Pentagon regulations to authorize more frequent Guard deployments to take some of the burden off the Army.

Surge timetable could be extended
    Gates indicated Thursday that defense planners expected the U.S. military commitment to last well beyond the timetable of early next year that was put forth in the Pentagon’s arguments to send more than 20,000 regular Army troops to help quiet sectarian violence. That so-called surge of troops created intense opposition among Democrats and some Republicans in Congress early in the year.

“The truth is, I think people don’t know right now how long this will last,” he said. “The thinking of those involved in the process was that it would be a period of months, not a period of years or a year and a half or something like that."

In a radio interview Wednesday, Gates warned that limiting the administration could lead to “ethnic cleansing.”

“What we do know is if Baghdad is in flames and the whole city is engulfed in violence, the prospects for a political solution are almost non-existent,” he said in an interview with syndicated radio host Laura Ingraham.

Army under heavy pressure

The grinding pace of the war is clearly wearing down the Army. Three Army combat brigades have just been ordered back into Iraq less than a year after they left, and two brigades that were headed for Iraq were unable to take their customary four weeks of desert training at Fort Irwin, Calif.

Defense officials said the quick turnaround could hurt overall readiness by leaving those troops unprepared for other missions.

“When you only have one year or less between deployments, instead of the two that you would like to have, you then do not train to what we call full spectrum,” said Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

12,000 more Guard may go to Iraq - Nightly News with Brian Williams - MSNBC.com
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i hate hate hate George Bush.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

He's literally wasting (=disregarding) human lives.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

What a joke. One day they're talking about not using more guard troops, next minute they're calling them up.

If you have a fire you dont try to put it out with petrol.....this is insanity

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I suspect they are putting more troops on the ground so that they will be in place for the attack on Iran. Did you know that the Jerusalem Post and the Russian press have been reporting for several weeks now that today, Good Friday, will be the day that Bush launches him assault on Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    I suspect they are putting more troops on the ground so that they will be in place for the attack on Iran. Did you know that the Jerusalem Post and the Russian press have been reporting for several weeks now that today, Good Friday, will be the day that Bush launches him assault on Iran?
    Gator, are you saying European countries are getting News sooner when compared to US?
    I'm having trouble understanding your sentence. Please elaborate.

No, they just report different things than what the US does. The US has ridiculously filtered and biased news.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Did you know that the Jerusalem Post and the Russian press have been reporting for several weeks now that today, Good Friday, will be the day that Bush launches him assault on Iran?
    omg please no

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Gator, are you saying European countries are getting News sooner when compared to US?
    I'm having trouble understanding your sentence. Please elaborate.
    What is there not to understand?

Several online Russian newspapers (newpapers in Russia, you know that cold place that used to be called the Soviet Union, dancing bears, Chanel Eggs, the Tsar, vodka and all that jazz) and the Jerusalem Post (an online newspaper in Jerusalem Israel, not Jerusalem BFE USA, land of Jesus, Jews, the Horah, Passover and the Old Testament Bible plus suicide bombers) posted articles saying that Russian and Israeli intelligence (intelligence - the opposite of stupidity but in this case it means spys), have uncovered evidence (revealed proof), that the Bush administration (that stupid moronic conservy and cronies in the White House, wait, do I need to explain 'moron' to you too?) plans on attacking Iran (that country near Iraq populated by people that used to be 'Persian' but now guys with black beards and turbans and lots of sand) on Good Friday (the day that Biblical lore says that Jesus rode the cross)

How much more plainly can I put it?

I think it would be safer for me to put you on ignore now.

Edited to add that today my second friend lost a son to the fighting in Iraq. Impeach Bush now!!

Human life is expendable to the President.

This is so sad and disgusting, I don't even know what else to say about it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Elite Member

Edited to add that today my second friend lost a son to the fighting in Iraq.
    wow...my condolences gator...so many innocent people are dying in this war, it keeps going

i've probably spelled 'condolences' incorrectly here..

Edited to add that today my second friend lost a son to the fighting in Iraq.
    My sympathies.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It's a lady that works up at the hospital. She found out this morning and came right to the office to get Ativan to get through this. Such a waste of brave young men. Can we afford to loose a generation to a war for oil? I don't think so.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, they just report different things than what the US does. The US has ridiculously filtered and biased news.
    Isn't that more or less common knowledge? One only needs to read other international news reports to figure it out, quite easy with the use of internet. Different countries have different priorities and agendas and their media can be influenced.

Sorry to hear about your friend Gator.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information