Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada finally figures out America doesn't care

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Canada finally figures out America doesn't care

This one's for you, Grimm.

Canada, the large mass of semi-arable land blocking Montana's view of the Arctic, is about to receive less coverage in American media than it gets now. (Already that coverage is too much: unless it's about auto parts heiresses screwing former U.S. presidents, we don't want to know about it). Come summer, the Washington Post is closing its Toronto bureau, leaving "Canadian coverage in the United States to wire services, contract writers, freelancers and reporters parachuted in for specific events." The Toronto Star claims that "many analysts" believe the move "will inevitably push the Canadian message further into irrelevance and widen the gulf between two nations which already do not understand each other well." But is it true?

Who fucking cares? It's Canada. Whatever "the Canadian message" is—and it's probably something involving curling, good manners, grown men in bright red clothing astride horses, French fries with cheese curds on them for some unfathomable reason, surly Francophones who souviens and won't shut up about it, eight million Alice Munro stories about rural life in Ontario, and Power Windows by Rush—we're not interested in hearing it, nor should we be.

But we promise not to forget you completely, little lumberjacks. Keep sending us those cheap pharmaceuticals and we swear that every four years when an election goes to the opposite party of our choosing, we will mutter ineffectually about moving to Montreal before forgetting about it all together. Though enough with the Arcade Fire records or we'll get over our racist feelings about Mexico right quick. —balk

Canada Now Realizing America Doesn't Care - Gawker
    I know I shouldn't laugh but the line about Canada blocking Montana's view of the Arctic just cracked me up.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

We've always known that the U.S. doesn't care. It doesn't care about any nation other than itself and its self interest. Why would we be any different?

Frankly, the gulf could yawn as wide as Mariah Carey's ass for all I care. More distance is better than less in this situation.

*looks south in distaste as one would at a retarded, disfigured family secret that won't stay in the basement*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^ahahhahahaa...little sister!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *looks south in distaste as one would at a retarded, disfigured family secret that won't stay in the basement*
    haha oh no lol

Too bad for you Grimm-we drag our Family Nuts right out in the living room and entertain them! At least in the South! Proud of them and you and PB too!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    We've always known that the U.S. doesn't care. It doesn't care about any nation other than itself and its self interest. Why would we be any different?
    Well all nations are pretty much self-interested if we are going to be really honest right? It is the way of the world. Human history is interesting but not very pretty or encouraging unfortunately.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

The Washington Post had a Canadian bureau? Why? They rarely run articles about Canada at all.

^^Well, they disbanded it this weekend if that makes you feel any better. Personally, I think disbanding all the foreign news bureaus is bad for journalism but reflects a trend against international news so that we can better understand the "intricacies" of an Anna Nicole or Britney Spears. But then I'm just a useless, old-fashioned idealist, not to mention news junkie.

Yes, all nations are self-interested, but c'mon -- do you honestly think that Canada, or most other countries with the possible exception of China, are on an equal footing with the U.S.? When the elephant gets in bed with the mouse, the mouse...well, you know.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

For the record PB I do agree with you. I just wasn't aware that they even had a news bureau there and I read the post cover to cover every single day... The Washington Times has news bureaus all over the place, more than the Post but newspapers owned by the Moonies and championed by the Fundies make me nervous.

^^I know. The Post correspondent was interviewed and he complained about not getting in the paper often enough. It's crazy because Canada is STILL the U.S.'s biggest trading partner with the longest undefended border in the world, and next-door neighbour. It would be like ignoring Mexico. I just don't get it. Cost-cutting is everywhere, even at a time when most papers are making record profits.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^I wish that were true of the L.A. Times, where my brother's worked for 30 years. He and the rest are sweating out who it will be sold to in the near future, and whether their retirement packages will go bye-bye.
    Last edited by Mira; April 7th, 2007 at 01:46 PM.

It is true for a lot of papers because of a high concentration of ownership and relentless cost cutting for decades. Newspapers expect to turn 20 per cent profits when the average manufacturing profit is less than half of that. It's called greed. The L.A. Times isn't going broke, it's just trying to up its profits for shareholders. Most papers have had to re-structure somewhat because of the Internet, but many are doing just fine and have strong, and profitable, online presences.

Readership and circulation are down, but these shortfalls are being made up in other ways. I feel for your brother -- I and lots of other journalists I know were downsized for exactly the same reasons. Greed rules.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Newspapers expect to turn 20 per cent profits when the average manufacturing profit is less than half of that. It's called greed. The L.A. Times isn't going broke, it's just trying to up its profits for shareholders. Most papers have had to re-structure somewhat because of the Internet, but many are doing just fine and have strong, and profitable, online presences.
    ^The above is very interesting to me PB. To hear the Times tell it, they're going broke because of the intense dropoff of advertisements. A former neighbor of mine has a daughter who went down to L.A. ostensibly for a year, to work there in hopes that the job market would improve in Portland before she came back (try 5-10 years, but anyway). She lasted less than 6 months, hated L.A., hated the Times even though they begged her to stay (I think she was in marketing). She could have kept her job but it was extremely boring and tedious and she couldn't hack it along with the local environment.

My brother is a supervisor with a desk job now, even though he was a technical person for many years (not a journalist). Probably why he still has a job - now he just pushes paper and manages the employees and the tech stats.

^^Well, they disbanded it this weekend if that makes you feel any better. Personally, I think disbanding all the foreign news bureaus is bad for journalism but reflects a trend against international news so that we can better understand the "intricacies" of an Anna Nicole or Britney Spears. But then I'm just a useless, old-fashioned idealist, not to mention news junkie.

Yes, all nations are self-interested, but c'mon -- do you honestly think that Canada, or most other countries with the possible exception of China, are on an equal footing with the U.S.? When the elephant gets in bed with the mouse, the mouse...well, you know.
    the mouse just needs to have some fleas with it that can bite the elephant...and the fleas need to have Yersinia Pestis

*seriously though..has there ever been a nation 'on top' so to speak that has not had a serious case of self-importance? And they all came crashing down too..our time will come..I think personally the decline has already started..in 1972-that was the last great year of the US. Ever since then real buying power(and the middle class) has been declining. The oil price rise/embargo of 1973..and the resulting stagflation..de-industiralization..etc. for the rest of that decade was the beginning of the end...we have never really recovered*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information