Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abortion? Gotta see your fetus first

Thumbs down Abortion? Gotta see your fetus first

(Columbia) - The South Carolina house has given key approval to a bill that would require women seeking abortions to view an ultrasound first.

The bill passed a second reading Wednesday. A third, usually formality third reading will take place later.

If this bill is passed, it would be the first of its kind in the nation.

Rep. Greg Delleney (R-Chester and York Counties), is the bill's key sponsor. "I'm just trying to save lives and protect people from regret and inform women with the most accurate non-judgemental information that can be provided," he says.

Currently, there is already a South Carolina law requiring women to pass prerequisites before abortions, including reviewing abortion information and undergoing a waiting period. Still, Delleney says women need more information to make a final decision.

"From the calls I've gotten, I think some people wished there was an ultrasound requirement at the time they underwent the abortion procedure," he said.

But Delleney's ideas are meeting a lot of opposition from several organizations, as well as other lawmakers, such as Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter (D-Orangeburg County). She says it's too extreme.

"I see it as some kind of emotional blackmail, and I think we're putting an undue burden on our healthcare providers and on folk who are providing those services," Cobb-Hunter said.

She also says it creates privacy issues and doesn't give women credit that they can make their own reproductive decisions. "The supporters of this legislation seem to believe that women enter into this decision blindly or without a lot of thought."

The measure now goes to the Senate.

WLTX-TV News, Weather, Sports for Columbia and the Midlands of South Carolina
    More theocratic bullshit designed for guilt guilt guilt
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Jeeeezus. Good ol' freedom-loving US of A.
    Why doesn't he make a bill where the President and all of Congress have to see their own kids all bloodied, mutilated, and murdered from gunshot wounds, bombs, and shrapnel, before they decide to go to war??

... cuz they'd keep running out of kids?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

or why don't they go and meet the families of the soldiers they are about to tear apart or spend sometime in the villages they are about to destroy. They should have to look in the faces of those people before they make the decision to go to war!

I think I might be missing the point..? What difference would it make to see an ultrasound of the fetus? When a woman makes that sort of decision, she knows exactly what she is doing. They usually think long and hard about the decision beforehand. I seriously doubt a woman would go in, see the ultra-sound and go into some sort of shocked realization and run out screaming.

The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah, most women have already made up their minds, but probably a small percent who are not sure might change their minds - that's what he's banking on anyway.

I say he doesn't know what he's talking about because those ultrasounds look like white and gray fog against a black background. Unless it's farther along into the pregnancy, but they probably already have a different set of laws for once the pregnancy reaches so-many-weeks.

He also doesn't know what he's talking about, nor do those who made up the "waiting period" for women in SC. Do they actually think that most women haven't mulled over the issue a million times before coming to that conclusion? And if there is a woman who decides to have an abortion without a second thought, they she probably shouldn't be having kids anyway as bad as that might sound to some.

In conclusion, fuck off, lawmakers.

The point is to shove some christian 'morality' down your throat and make you feel horrible and guilty for an abortion you are getting, in the hopes that you change your mind and pop another unwanted baby into the world that they won't support through social programs.

I think this tactic would work on a lot of younger women, you know "Look at your baybeeeee". I'm sure a lot of women struggle with the guilt as it is...this is just unbelievable.

This is beyond fucking outrageous. Hell, why stop there? Why not show them a few pictures of aborted fetuses while they're at it? It's based on the same moralistic, guilt-tripping bullshit anyway, and we may as well cast the last illusion of medical objectivity out of the window.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I think I might be missing the point..? What difference would it make to see an ultrasound of the fetus? When a woman makes that sort of decision, she knows exactly what she is doing. They usually think long and hard about the decision beforehand. I seriously doubt a woman would go in, see the ultra-sound and go into some sort of shocked realization and run out screaming.
    Their moralistic browbeating is the point.

this makes me feel sick.

It really is sick, Princess Pink. If you look at their thoughts, it is MUCH worse to even come up with the such ideas, as a preventive measure.

What does it really matter? If they are so set on having an abortion then what does it matter if you have to have a 5 minute ultrasound?
    It's not like they are saying you can't have an abortion, they are just saying think about it before you do it.

It does matter because for most women, having an abortion is a difficult decision. She has already made a difficult decision and for her to be subjected to some kind of fear and guilt tactic is ridiculous.

It's not their place to be ordering anybody to do so. It's an invasion of privacy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information