Thread: Saddam Hussein Has the Last Laugh

Default Saddam Hussein Has the Last Laugh

Posted on Mar 20, 2007

By Robert Scheer

Yep, you did it, George—mission impossible accomplished. Unbelievably, four years of a bungled occupation have managed to make Saddam Hussein’s tyranny look good in comparison with “liberated Iraq.”

At least, that is the view of the Iraqi weightlifter made famous through a video of him taking a sledgehammer to Saddam Hussein’s statue. “I really regret bringing down the statue,” Kadhim al-Jubouri said on British television this week. “The Americans are worse than the dictatorship. Every day is worse than the previous day.”

That’s the judgment of a man who spent nine years in Hussein’s jails, and, unfortunately, it is one shared by a majority of his countrymen, according to an authoritative poll sponsored jointly by ABC, BBC and USA Today: Only 38 percent of Iraqis believe that the country is better off today than under Hussein, while nearly four out of five oppose the presence of coalition forces in Iraq.

More at

Truthdig - Reports - Saddam Has the Last Laugh

Dang!

I hope this is an eye-opener for the people who supported the war. It is different in Afghanistan, people there still live a hard life but a better one. Not the same with Iraq.

Actually, Afghan women are committing suicide by immolation a lot more now, and the country is starting to wish the Taleban was back because right now petty thugs and warlords run the country.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Duh. The story is not shocking, what's shocking is that there are people who believe this stupid war somehow improved the situation in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Actually, Afghan women are committing suicide by immolation a lot more now, and the country is starting to wish the Taleban was back because right now petty thugs and warlords run the country.
    I would like to know if the situation there is better than before or not. Im guessing the places under proper government control are doing better - women are getting jobs and getting educated. They can paint their nails without having their hands amputated....they don't get beaten up on the streets for walking without a man. But the countrysides where the warlords have greater power are still miserable.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh god that is such a telling quote i really feel like The End is nearer and nearer....

Thread Information