Thread: Presidential candidate Sam Brownback supports Pace

Default Presidential candidate Sam Brownback supports Pace

By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 19 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record) is backing the Pentagon's top general over his remarks that homosexual acts are immoral. The Kansas senator planned to send a letter on Thursday to President Bush supporting Marine Gen. Peter Pace, who earlier this week likened homosexuality to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gay personnel to serve openly.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs also said in an interview with the Chicago Tribune: "I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts. I do not believe the United States is well-served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way."

Lawmakers of both parties criticized the remarks, but Brownback's letter called the criticism "both unfair and unfortunate."

"We should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as General Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues," Brownback said. "In fact, we should expect that anyone entrusted with such great responsibility will have strong moral views."

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."

Democratic candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) initially tried to sidestep the issue when asked about it this week, but both sought to clarify their opposition to Pace's comments on Thursday.

Obama did not directly answer on Wednesday when asked if same-sex relationships were immoral, Newsday reported. Obama issued a statement on Thursday, saying, "I do not agree with General Pace that homosexuality is immoral. Attempts to divide people like this have consumed too much of our politics over the past six years."

Clinton told ABC News Wednesday that it's for "others to conclude" whether homosexuality is immoral. On Thursday, she put out a statement saying that she'd heard from gay friends who said her answer sounded evasive.

"I should have echoed my colleague Senator John Warner (news, bio, voting record)'s statement forcefully stating that homosexuality is not immoral because that is what I believe," her statement said.

While there is no indication that Pace's job is in jeopardy, Brownback's letter to Bush said "personal moral beliefs" should not disqualify anyone from a position of leadership in the U.S. military.

"General Pace's recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received," the letter said. "In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles."

Pace said he supports the military's "don't ask, don't tell policy" in which gay service members are required to keep their sexual orientation private. Brownback on Thursday said "don't ask, don't tell" is "an appropriate policy."

Brownback, a favorite of the religious right, has been a prominent opponent of gay marriage.

Brownback spokesman Brian Hart said the senator was working Thursday to get other lawmakers to sign his letter. Hart said Brownback's office would not disclose who has signed on to the letter until there is "a final count."

On his campaign bus in Iowa on Thursday, Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., declined to comment when asked whether he agreed with Gen. Peter Pace's comment that homosexuality was immoral. He said he still backs the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. "It's working."
    Brownback supports Pace's remark on gays - Yahoo! News

These fundies do seem to be a dime a dozen lately.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; March 15th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

I posted this on another thread, but basically only one politician had the principle and integrity to voice his true opinion, and that is Bill Richardson (I guess one could say the same for brownback but that's beside the point).

Notice obama and especially hillary, cowardly in trying to be wishy washy and trying to appease some of their voting base. Perhaps they believe themselves that many americans feel the same way as pace and that they don't want to alienate them. Wow, that sure makes me feel "inspired."

Bill is the only one that showed true character here.

Yeah, then the gays bitched at Hill and Obama and they quickly said "Of course we dont agree with what he said, being gay isnt immoral"

Gheys have teh powR
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."
    Here's a solution

Keep your fucking Catholic dogma beady eyes out of other peoples' bedrooms!

Another one on his soapbox about his morals....I could give a crap. These people and what they find immoral is a constant source of amusement to me.

Since he's Catholic and the Catholic Church doesn't support the war or the death penalty, I wonder if he's against either of those? I wonder if he would alienate his rightwing base that way???

Thread Information