Thread: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' explanation of firings called 'sorry excuse'

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Angry Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' explanation of firings called 'sorry excuse'

Gonzales explanation of firings called 'sorry excuse'

Story Highlights
    NEW: Attorney general says he accepts responsibility for firings
    NEW: "Buck stops with the attorney general," Sen. Schumer says
    NEW: E-mail lists attorneys "in the process of being pushed out"
    Alberto Gonzales' chief of staff resigns amid furor over firing of 8 U.S. attorneys

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Tuesday "mistakes were made" regarding the firing of eight U.S. attorneys and he accepts responsibility for the ordeal.

"My pledge to the American people is to find out what went wrong here,"he said at a Tuesday afternoon news conference. "As we can all imagine, in an organization of 110,000 people, I am not aware of every bit of information that passes through the halls of justice, nor am I aware of all decisions."

"That is a sorry excuse," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, said minutes later on the Senate floor.

Schumer said Gonzales should resign.

"Did the attorney general not know that eight U.S. attorneys were to be fired?" Schumer said. "If he didn't know, he shouldn't be attorney general, plain and simple. ... The buck stops with the attorney general."

However, Gonzales said he was not stepping down.

"I am here not because I give up," he told reporters. "I am here because I've learned from my mistakes, because I accept responsibility and because I'm committed to doing my job -- and that is what I intend to do here on behalf of the American people."

Democrats are examining e-mails they say prove the White House was far more involved in the firings than it has acknowledged.

The e-mails between the Department of Justice and White House were handed Tuesday to congressional committees investigating whether the dismissals, which happened last year, were politically motivated.

White House spokesman Tony Snow confirmed it was former White House counsel Harriet Miers who came up with an idea to remove all the federal prosecutors and bring in "fresh blood" at the beginning of President Bush's second term. (Watch a congressman explain how e-mails suggest White House involvement in firings)

Meanwhile, the chief of staff to Gonzales has resigned, the Justice Department said Tuesday, as criticism grows over the firings.

D. Kyle Sampson, who also was a top lawyer under Gonzales' predecessor, John Ashcroft, has been at the center of the storm. His resignation was effective Monday.

An e-mail from Sampson to Miers dated January 1, 2006, read, "You have asked whether President Bush should remove and replace U.S. Attorneys whose four-year terms have expired. I recommend that the Department of Justice and the Office of the Counsel to the President work together to seek the replacement of a limited number of U.S. Attorneys."

On September 13, 2006, Sampson e-mailed Miers lists of federal attorneys "In the Process of Being Pushed Out" and those "We Now Should Consider Pushing Out."

"Just when we thought our faith could not be shaken any further, it has been," Schumer said earlier. "At the very beginning, it was clear that something didn't smell right. But I had no idea how high it went."

He added: "The latest revelations proved beyond any reasonable doubt that there has been an unprecedented breach of trust, abuse of power and misuse of the Justice Department. And that is very serious and very important."

Schumer also warned the White House against making Sampson "the next fall guy."

"Today's staff resignation does not take heat off the attorney general. In fact, it raises the temperature. Kyle Sampson will not become the next Scooter Libby," the senator added, referring to Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff who was convicted of obstruction of justice and perjury last week in an investigation into the exposure of a CIA agent. (Watch Schumer call for Gonzales to step down)

Gonzales spoke highly of Sampson in a news release.

"Kyle Sampson has served as a key member of my team beginning at the White House and continuing here at the Department of Justice -- first as my deputy chief of staff and then as my chief of staff," Gonzales said in a statement.

"I am very appreciative for his service, counsel and friendship during the last six years, and I thank him for his service to the department."

The Bush administration has said the firings -- seven in December and one months earlier -- were routine personnel matters that were the result of poor performances.

However, Democrats accuse the administration of trying to dictate to the prosecutors, who are supposed to be nonpartisan.

Gonzales said the lawyers should have been told why they were being fired and admitted the explanations initially given to Congress about the matter were "incomplete."

Allegations of pressure
    Snow told reporters traveling with the president in Mexico that Miers made the proposal to fire all 93 U.S. attorneys at the beginning of Bush's second term.

Several of the prosecutors who were fired have said they were being pressured to move more quickly on investigations into voter fraud.

Miers resigned in January. President Bush had nominated her as a Supreme Court justice in October 2005 but she withdrew after conservatives and others questioned her credentials.

"We continue to believe that the decision to remove and replace U.S. attorneys who serve at the pleasure of the president was perfectly appropriate and within our discretion," said White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino.

"And we stand by the Department of Justice's assertion that they identified the seven U.S. attorneys who were removed [in December] for performance and managerial reasons."

Snow said Miers' proposal was a suggestion, not a recommendation, to fire all the federal prosecutors. Bush made "no recommendations on specific individuals," he said.

"We don't have anything to indicate the president made any calls on specific U.S. attorneys."

Find this article at:
    Gonzales explanation of firings called 'sorry excuse' - CNN.com
    This guy should burn; this scandal is ridiculously fucked up!

What went wrong? WHAT WENT WRONG?

You FIRED, at the behest of Bush and Rove, independent US attorneys and then replaced them with pro-Bush cronies because your time is coming to an end and you don't want ANYBODY who isn't sucking Bush's asshole to be in a position to lay charges!

ITS SO FUCKING OBVIOUS! fuck you, and fuck your race-card bullshit too!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

UM YEAH it was prolly the intent all along was to throw this latino in there, have him do your dirty work as you look good for hiring a Brown guy, then have him burn and take the fall while you walk outta the shit smellin' like roses... hasn't he done this a million times before?!

Thread Information