Thread: George W. Bush to scientists: Shut up about dying polar bears

Default George W. Bush to scientists: Shut up about dying polar bears

The Bush Administration doesn't want the government's experts talking about global warming and dying polar bears. Experts will speak of science and facts and that doesn't fit the Bush agenda. So, they can't talk about reality:

Over the past week, biologists and wildlife officials received a cover note and two sample memorandums to be used as a guide in preparing travel requests. Under the heading “Foreign Travel — New Requirement — Please Review and Comply, Importance: High,” the cover note said:

“Please be advised that all foreign travel requests (SF 1175 requests) and any future travel requests involving or potentially involving climate change, sea ice and/or polar bears will also require a memorandum from the regional director to the director indicating who’ll be the official spokesman on the trip and the one responding to questions on these issues, particularly polar bears.”

The sample memorandums, described as to be used in writing travel requests, indicate that the employee seeking permission to travel “understands the administration’s position on climate change, polar bears, and sea ice and will not be speaking on or responding to these issues.”

The simple translation of the government-speak in this memo is "Keep your scientific mouths shut and let the political team do the spin." Just don't talk about those damn polar bears.

AMERICAblog: A great nation deserves the truth
    Cuz if you don't talk about them, they don't exist. Neither does global warming. Hey, relax guy. Sit down, take a load off, look over there...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Then why the hell did Bush say last year he would list polar bears under the Endangered Species Act? That's right, Bush doesn't think global warming is the cause.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im so sad about the polar bears i cant even talk about them; their situation is so dire and sad.

Bush just doesn't think "environmentally", plain and simple. Some men don't. He thinks oil and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Bush just doesn't think "environmentally", plain and simple. Some men don't. He thinks oil and that's it.

Does that mean it's okay? As the leader of this country he should encourage measures to help alleviate the problem with Global Warming. It is a serious problem and from what I can tell Bus wants to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Does that mean it's okay? As the leader of this country he should encourage measures to help alleviate the problem with Global Warming. It is a serious problem and from what I can tell Bus wants to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.
    No, of course not.
    It isn't what his concerns are. He is definately not someone who would ever had been able to set such standards.
    Can you imagine listening to Bush about the environment? No one would listen to him. Plus, that's never been his values.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    im so sad about the polar bears i cant even talk about them; their situation is so dire and sad.
    me neither alice..this is horrible

Thread Information