Thread: George W. Bush to cut veteran's health care

Angry George W. Bush to cut veteran's health care

By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Feb 12, 2:00 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration plans to cut funding for veterans' health care two years from now even as badly wounded troops returning from Iraq could overwhelm the system.

Bush is using the cuts, critics say, to help fulfill his pledge to balance the budget by 2012.

After an increase sought for next year, the Bush budget would turn current trends on their head. Even though the cost of providing medical care to veterans has been growing rapidly by more than 10 percent in many years White House budget documents assume consecutive cutbacks in 2009 and 2010 and a freeze thereafter.
    The proposed cuts are unrealistic in light of recent VA budget trends its medical care budget has risen every year for two decades and 83 percent in the six years since Bush took office sowing suspicion that the White House is simply making them up to make its long-term deficit figures look better.

"Either the administration is willingly proposing massive cuts in VA health care," said Rep. Chet Edwards (news, bio, voting record) of Texas, chairman of the panel overseeing the VA's budget. "Or its promise of a balanced budget by 2012 is based on completely unrealistic assumptions."

Edwards said that a more realistic estimate of veterans costs is $16 billion higher than the Bush estimate for 2012.

In fact, even the White House doesn't seem serious about the numbers. It says the long-term budget numbers don't represent actual administration policies. Similar cuts assumed in earlier budgets have been reversed.

The veterans cuts, said White House budget office spokesman Sean Kevelighan, "don't reflect any policy decisions. We'll revisit them when we do the (future) budgets."

The number of veterans coming into the VA health care system has been rising by about 5 percent a year as the number of people returning from Iraq with illnesses or injuries keep rising. Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans represent almost 5 percent of the VA's patient caseload, and many are returning from battle with grievous injuries requiring costly care, such as traumatic brain injuries.

All told, the VA expects to treat about 5.8 million patients next year, including 263,000 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The White House budget office, however, assumes that the veterans' medical services budget up 83 percent since Bush took office and winning a big increase in Bush's proposed 2008 budget can absorb a 2 percent cut the following year and remain essentially frozen for three years in a row after that.

"It's implausible," Sen. Patty Murray (news, bio, voting record), D-Wash., said of the budget projections.

The White House made virtually identical assumptions last year a big increase in the first year of the budget and cuts for every year thereafter to veterans medical care. Now, the White House estimate for 2008 is more than $4 billion higher than Bush figured last year.

And the VA has been known to get short-term estimates wrong as well. Two years ago, Congress had to pass an emergency $1.5 billion infusion for veterans health programs for 2005 and added $2.7 billion to Bush's request for 2006. The VA underestimated the number of veterans, including those from Iraq and Afghanistan, who were seeking care, as well as the cost of treatment and long-term care.

The budget for hospital and medical care for veterans is funded for the current year at $35.6 billion, and would rise to $39.6 billion in 2008 under Bush's budget. That's about 9 percent. But the budget faces a cut to $38.8 billion in 2009 and would hover around that level through 2012.

The cuts come even as the number of veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is expected to increase 26 percent next year.

In Bush's proposal to balance the budget by 2012, he's assuming that spending on domestic agency operating budgets will increase by about 1 percent each year.
    Veterans face consecutive budget cuts - Yahoo! News

so Bush is pushing this surge into Iraq and the violenece is getting even more heated there, yet he still plans on cutting health care for the vets that'll get injured in Iraq? Why is this motherfucker still in office?

I don't know why I read shit about this POS and his administration. He's a joke. He wants to send these kids off to a war they have no business fighting...then bring them back and cut the healthcare (which is about the only decent benefit they get) they receive??? I hope his asshole grows shut...that's got to be a nice way to go!!

Silver Member

If they want to cut something, why don't they cut THEIR outrageous pay and benefits. And that goes for ALL of the lowlife politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    If they want to cut something, why don't they cut THEIR outrageous pay and benefits. And that goes for ALL of the lowlife politicians.
    Yeah, no kidding. They make ridiculous money. A lot of the enlisted men and women barely live above the poverty line. There was a special report on the news out here on the Marines at Camp Pendleton. I can't believe how little they make. It's really bad if they have a wife or husband and kids to support. Sad and shameful of the US to treat their soldiers this way.

Angry

yes it is a shame my ex is in the army and did 2 tours in Iraq, his tank hit a mine and he was jolted and hit with shrapnel which caused him a serious back injury, when he came home from his last tour he was in a motorcycle accident that he almost didn't survive. The doctors told him one more hit to the head will kill him he just was told he is getting discharged with only 10% disability. It's disgusting he can barely walk now due to his back and all they want to do is fill him full of dope. Its a shame the way we treat our veterans.

^^What a sad story, shedevil! And to think, there are so many out there like your ex. 10%??? Outrageous!

yes I know he was telling me about one guy who was shot 4 times in the legs and they wanted to give him the same I was shocked

Shedevil it's sad what you're ex and that guy have gone through only to be treated like their health means nothing to anyone. I suggest you (and everyone) else tell our representatives and whatnot that this treatment of veterans (from all wars) is dishonorable and shameful. This is yet another parallel to what veterans in Vietname went through when they came back to the US.

It's sad that jobs that require such strain and hard work :army, teachers, auto workers, etc: are underpaid while CEOs, do-nothing politicans, and "professional" atheltes get thousands upon thousands for doing shit.

all ready on it and he is fighting this by the way. he goes to texas this month or next for a hearing I will let ya know what happens. He is also a receiver of the Purple Heart which is nice but it is not going to improve his quality of life after he has been removed from the army. This poor guy did two tours in Bosnia and two in Iraq plus a stay in Germany he pretty much missed his son's life until this past year to serve his country and I think it's utter bullshit he is getting treated this way. But i'll quit venting lol

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im not suprised by this; he's an evil asshole; pure and simple. he sends soldiers to war and doesn't care two shits about them if or when they ever get a chance to come back and when they do; he sends them out again....and again! sickening.

I think everyone should get help with healthcare, not just veterans, but every working citizen that has ever paid taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
    I think everyone should get help with healthcare, not just veterans, but every working citizen that has ever paid taxes.
    I agree that everyone should receive health care but when you are injured in a war your country should give you a little help it's bad enough they are forcing him out of the military when he almost has his 20 yrs in to retire with full benefits but then not to give him disablity after what he's went through is just utterly shitty

Hit By Ban Bus!

How about Bush trying to shove his own shrivelled up pecker far up his ass?

Silver Member

Yes and they made John Kerry out to me some traitorous Liar.
    Say what you want about him, but he does fight for veterans rights, along with that other " traitor" Joe Murtha.

Yet The Republicans are heralded by so many members of the military and veteran community as being " FOR THEM"

puke
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Thread Information