Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 349,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2008

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well the illegals i know, would be so fucking happy to be legal even if it meant paying a fine. i've said this before on here. i know ppl who have thousands of dollars saved up just in case this happens like it was supposed to a few times. pay a fine of thousands just to be a part of this country. i think thats pretty beautiful and im so grateful everyday that i was lucky enough to be born here. its bittersweet though. and make "them" legal and gain in taxes!!!! i don't see who it hurt except stupid racists/lazy ppl who blame others for their shortcomings.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Give me a break. what Irish are you talking about? When the majority of Irish came over here they came on boats and were let into the country after being checked out. Most Irish don't come over now because for the last few years their economy is booming.
    What I'm talking about is the fact that there are roughly 50 thousand illegal Irish immigrants in America at any given moment, meaning right now. The Celtic Tiger didn't bite everyone and it's days are over. There are lots of legal Irish and lots of illegal Irish. I don't know where you live but illegal Irish were part of everyday life where I grew up. Try this article, or any one of dozens of others, on for size:

Woodlawn, The Bronx -- Imagine Hillary Clinton holding up a T-shirt that read: "Legalize Mexicans." That’s not going to happen, right?

Well, last month in Washington, at a rally hosted by the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, the leading Democratic candidate for president actually did have her picture taken holding a shirt that read: "Legalize the Irish." That’s the lobby’s in-your-face slogan, which says a lot about the role that race (and ethnicity) plays in the debate about illegal immigration. Latino activists bend over backward trying to cloak undocumented Mexican migrants in the slogan "We are America," but their Irish counterparts don’t feel similarly obliged.

There are an estimated 50,000 Irish illegal immigrants in the U.S.; 30,000 of them are thought to live in New York City. Today, this tiny corner in the northern reaches of the Bronx is perhaps the most heavily Irish-born neighborhood in New York, and advocates believe that as many as 40% of local immigrants are undocumented.

On Tuesday afternoon, I walked up Katonah Avenue, Woodlawn’s main shopping street, trying to guess who was or wasn’t here illegally. How about that blond woman walking with her child? Or perhaps the redhead in pink sweats? Surely the two rough-hewn construction workers enjoying a lunchtime beer at the Rambling House bar didn’t have papers. Like the woman I met in California’s Central Valley a few months ago who told me how odd it had been to see white people engaged in farm labor in Australia, it was a decidedly new sensation for me to suspect all the white people around me of being illegal.

"When I tell people I’m undocumented, it shocks them," said Mary Brennan, a nurse’s aide who has lived in the U.S. for almost 17 years. "They think of JFK or Ronald Reagan, and they can’t understand how an Irish person could be illegal."

Though Brennan shares the hardships of undocumented status with other illegal immigrants throughout the country -- last year she was unable to attend her brother’s funeral in Ireland for fear that she’d be denied reentry to the U.S. -- she acknowledges that Irish illegals do have a slight advantage. It’s all in the stereotypes -- race-based, language-based, class-based.

Her friend, contractor Dermot Byrne, who also is here illegally, agrees. "From my experience, we’re not singled out. If someone’s driving down the street and they see five Mexican guys on one side and five Irish guys on the other, they’re going to think that the Mexicans are illegal, even though it could be the other way around."

Despite his status, Byrne has placed a pro-immigration-reform sticker on his car, as well as Irish versions of an "I love Jalisco" decal that identify his and his wife’s home counties in the old country.

Irish immigrant advocates are acutely aware that the American public doesn’t identify the Irish as alien, let alone illegal, and they consciously leverage this positive prejudice to their advantage.

"The fact that they’re white Europeans agitating for immigration reform is helpful," said Niall O’Dowd, chairman of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform and publisher of the Irish Voice newspaper. "Bottom line is that every ethnic group brings their own strength to the debate. We can’t put a million people in the street, but we have positive political identification and a lot of access to Democrats and Republicans."

There are 40 million Americans of Irish descent, and O’Dowd believes that a good portion of them, particularly the politicians, are sympathetic to the plight of illegal Irish immigrants. His office is filled with snapshots of him shoulder to shoulder with the likes of John McCain, Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy. "The key is to have sympathetic politicians of the same ethnic background," he said.

Seeking to put a white Irish face on the issue of illegal immigration, O’Dowd and the Irish Lobby sent a delegation of 3,000 undocumented workers to Washington last month, not to protest but to lobby U.S. lawmakers. "We Irish are good at playing politics from the inside," he said. "When politicians see that even the Irish can be undocumented, then they realize that there’s something wrong with the immigration system."

But whites’ more favorable view of illegal immigrants who look like them may not translate to the growing number of Americans whose ancestors do not hail from Europe. The Pakistani-born cab driver who took me from the subway station to Katonah Avenue said he generally found Irish immigrants to be nice, as well as good tippers. "But they won’t rent you an apartment around here if you’re not Irish," he said. "They don’t want to mix with other races."

Damn immigrants.Illegal? Lucky You're Irish | The New America Foundation
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm a greatgrandchild of Italian immigrants and french canadians (who were prolly illegal). i got no problem with ppl who better themselves. my grandma and her family are legal cuz she's boricua and we took over that island or something....

take a look at your own family history and then promptly stfu.

A*O

Apart from the indigenous population, EVERYONE in the US is descended from migrants. Same in Australia. I don't have a problem with anyone trying to make a better life for themself in a different country but I do have a problem if they do it without contributing to their new country by paying taxes, learning the language and generally assimilating.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

then u legalize them and all that shit happens afterwards. keep them under the radar and abuses and mis-uses happen and ppl just seem to turn a damn blind eye.

A*O

But who's going to do the housekeeping and the garden for $5 a day if Jose and Maria become legal? It's just too infuriating to think about.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    I live in San Diego too. Ever see the ER at Children's? BTW that hospital won't hire you if you don't speak Spanish.
    I am on the auxilliary board at Children's I know all about the number of non English speakers we help. It is what is bankrupting the hospital.

50,000 illegal Irish. Boo hoo, all speaking english and holding down good jobs and not sucking off the government teat. Try 12 million illegals, it's a little different. Try living in southern California and then you will see. If you live her and are over 30 with a family you aren't so "understanding and forgiving" believe me.
    Last edited by Tati; November 11th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Where I grew up there were illegals of every stripe and I'll be honest, it didn't bother me one bit. Still doesn't. Most were nice people trying their hardest to get along and would have done anything to be in teh country legally. But many were the non-white types so it was a tad more difficult for them. And as someone who has moved to countries where I didn't speak the language I can tell you in all honesty that it is bloody difficult to learn a new language as an adult, at least it is for me. I've tried and done ok but still am not great at anything other than English. Luckily I'm coming from a different direction than most people who come into new countries, legally or illegally, so am pretty much given a pass. Oh, and lots of Irish are not holding down good jobs and are sucking off the government teat. They're illegal.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

some ppl need to see the Wizard and get themselves a heart and a brain! Stat!!!

I live in Central California. Don't get me started on illegal immigrants. I work in a county law office. Do you really want to know what percentage of our crimes are committed by illegal immigrants? It would piss you off.

And the gang and drug activity follows them everywhere they go.

I'm not saying no one else commits crimes, because all races do around here, but the majority are illegal immigrants and it pisses me off.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Anchor baby is the most disgusting phrase ever.

I don't have a problem with an anchor baby receiving WIC or any other benefits; if I could I would hope the entire world would provide that for all children. We should take a hard line on this illegal immigration mess and let anchor babies suffer; we can photograph them starving to death and use the image as a warning to pregnant illegals coming over the border. That makes me ill.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

exactly, what kind of disgusting asshole would want a child to suffer!? especially here in this country, the supposed most developed, superb, ect. ect. of the industralized nations. thats disgusting. jesus, some of you i just dont understand. well yeah i do, you're racists and just cant admit it to yourself so you go trolling the internet for all these hateful made-up "facts and figures" and use it to fuel or justify your hate.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

50,000 illegal Irish. Boo hoo, all speaking english and holding down good jobs and not sucking off the government teat. Try 12 million illegals, it's a little different.
    Yes, the language issue is really a hot button one for many who oppose illegal immigration. It's also the reason that Hispanics get targeted more than say, immigrants from Viet Nam or India or Russia who are generally perceived to be able to speak English better and to learn it sooner without expecting to have everything interpreted for them. That rubs lots of people the wrong way, including immigrants from place like I just mentioned because they don't see where being able to speak their native language is a requirement for getting as job in America. Also, these groups don't have the same drop out rate and their cultures place a high value on getting an education and not dropping out of school to go clean hotel rooms to help support the family.

Alice: I enjoy many of your posts, but honestly you have got to get more creative than falling back on using the 'racist' label anytime someone disagrees with your position. It's just weak and not well thought out and sounds like something a 12 yr old would spit out.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It's interesting here in Houston with the number of illegal immigrants that speak Spanish there are areas of town in which they are more concentrated but it is nothing like the community Vietnamese and Chinese immigrants have here in Houston; I really only see people pointing out the Spanish speaking illegal immigrants and I think that's in large part because they don't have the massive community areas like the Asian immigrants do.

In Houston our government stuff is in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I hope no the posts above are not referring to me. I never said babies/children of immigrants should suffer. I just pointed out that they do receive a lot of benefits, even if their parents only get some of them. And it's a burden to tax payers when they pay for millions of illegals' children to receive WIC, health insurance and free schooling and daycare.

Like I said before, my mother's school is primary children of illegals. I don't hate those kids, I'm not a racist. I visit them often and I have known many of them since they were months old. They are just kids, they shouldn't be judged for anything their parents have done and they should be fed, clothed and educated. Not only does it benefit them, but it benefits society.

So although I do believe they should be taken care of, I do believe that our other programs, especially our schools, are suffering. There is only so much tax money to go around. I mentioned already that the schools in my area are bad, not only that but they shut down some of the smaller police stations due to budget cuts, there's little money to fix schools and city buildings, now they are cutting hundreds of city employees, etc.

This year the state of California cut the education funds by 4.5 BILLION dollars. They have laid off thousands of teachers. My friend, who is a teacher, moved to Pennsylvania where he could get a job. He lives there and sends money back to his wife and child in California. The schools actually have positions available for teachers and pay more than teaching jobs in CA. This situation is due to over crowding in our schools and lack of tax payers to provide for it all.

I wrote in my previous post that I don't want to reward illegals because they have committed a crime by immigranting illegally; however, it is pointless to deport them. They will keep trying to cross the border until they die. They will not stay in Mexico and Mexico doesn't want them anyway.

To me, the solution that makes the most sense is to make them pay a fine and become citizens. Tax them so they are contributing to the programs/schools their children recieve and strengthen the borders so people are forced to apply for citizenship instead of sneaking in.

The system makes it hard for people to immigrant legally here from Mexico. I know a family that had to wait 8 years to get all their papers, half of the family got their docs and came here, the other half was still in Mexico. They ended up smuggling the rest of the family into California because they couldn't wait YEARS for the family to be united. That doesn't seem like a system that is working properly. I am sure paying a coyote to take you across the border is quicker and easier than getting legal papers.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information