Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 349,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2008

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I have done what I can. I support local growers who probably use illegals anyway, I try to shop at the smaller hardware stores like Dixieline, or really small owner stores, hard to find though. I agree that the illigals do the worst job for the worst pay. I've complained for years. We all need to do something. It took how long before we finally got a law to let chickens have coops big enough to turn around in, this will take longer. we seem to care about animals more.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I live in San diego, south San Diego. This is a very sore point for me also. When I came here from Canada we jumped through all the hoops and that was many many years ago. People say we need to have illegals because no one else would do the job. Of course not, no one wants to work for slave wages. We need to pay people a decent wage. Yes, prices will go up, but we are a greedy society who wants more and more junk. 2 cars may not be enough, or if they are, they aren't used, they are big expensive pieces of crap that they park in front of their big exspensive house that they can't afford. they park them in the driveway because their garages are full of more useless crap that they don't need. So pity, I have some for their lifestyles. However I think we need to demand Mexico start taking care of their country and people. It is located in a place that could have a fantastic lifestyle for their people but they are so corrupt it won't happen. we Americans need to boycott the country until they take care of their own people and stop sending the worst of what they have. California is quickly turning into a thrid world country. Our best and brightest are leaving because the schools and style of life are becoming unbearable. Those of us who live here feel differently than the rest of the country, even the dems down here are sick of it. I'm sick of having to move to an area that is too expensive for me to get my kids into a decent school, or having to pay for private school. the hospital are filled with people who are from Mexico and can't pay. woman come over the border, have their babies, then stay because now their children are American citizens. We call those anchor babies. Now they are eligble for welefare because of the child. It goes on and on.
    I live in San Diego too. Ever see the ER at Children's? BTW that hospital won't hire you if you don't speak Spanish.
    Coffee is my happy drug

^ I think most health-related facilities around here won't hire staff that isn't bilingual.

Every single person that works at my dentist office is of Mexican heritage and all of them speak Spanish and English. The only person in the whole office that isn't Mexican-American, is the dentist (she's Iranian).

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Nothing was solved by denying them citizenship.
    exactly. congress didnt do shit! they didnt even make a decision on the decision. so nothing happened. the border is still wide open and all the crap associated with illegals vs. legal is still going on. its pathetic. our govt. really let us down with that one.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    exactly. congress didnt do shit! they didnt even make a decision on the decision. so nothing happened. the border is still wide open and all the crap associated with illegals vs. legal is still going on. its pathetic. our govt. really let us down with that one.
    They let us down by not securing the border and properly fining employers who hire illegals, and for even proposing to legalize illegal aliens. The American people rejected that "solution."

That was a bad bill. The non-partisan Congressional Budget office estimated it would have only lowered illegal immigration by 25%
    The Senate’s immigration bill will only reduce illegal immigration by about 25 percent a year, according to a new Congressional Budget Office report, Stephen Dinan will report Tuesday in The Washington Times.
    The bill’s new guest-worker program could lead to at least 500,000 more illegal immigrants within a decade, said the report from the CBO, which said in its official cost estimate that it assumes some future temporary workers will overstay their time in the plan, adding up to a half-million by 2017 and 1 million by 2027.
    “We anticipate that many of those would remain in the United States illegally after their visas expire,” CBO said of the guest-worker program, which would allow 200,000 new workers a year to rotate into the country.
    and it would have cost taxpayers more than 2.6 trillion dollars!

Amnesty Will Cost U.S. Taxpayers at Least $2.6 Trillion

If legalized, you allow illegal immigrants access to more social welfare programs than they currently take advantage of, and since 60% of illegals are so uneducated they don't even have a high school education, I can't see them holding jobs that would recoup enough taxes to pay for it.

If illegals want citizenship, they can go back to their country of origin and wait in the damn line like everybody else does. People who think they are above the law should not be rewarded for their illegal behavior.

Like I said in a previous post, there are now 10 million unemployed Americans. There is no need for illegals to fill job vacancies. We don't have any; we can no longer take care of our own people plus the people of another corrupt nation.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I think alot of people, particularly from south of the border, come to make a better life and I can't blame them for trying.
    The only problem I have with this train of thought is how many laws have to be broken in the pursuit of "a better life"? They break the law to come here, they break the law to stay here, they break the law to get fake documents, they break the law by not paying taxes on income earned under the table or they break the law by earning income on somone else's SSN, they break the law every time they use their fake documents, the break the law when they receive benefits under fake names or SSN, they break the law when they use fake ID's to get housing, to get medical care, to open a bank account, and on and on and on.

How much of this mentality of blatently flaunting laws to better your life are you prepared to accept? Stealing from stores? Robbing houses? Carjacking? As long as somone is doing something illegal to better their lives, then it's okay? I simply don't agree. Where do you draw the line?

And I agree that they should round up the "palefaces" in Boston too. Anyone that is here illegally should be sent home. STAT!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I love this line:

I don't care if they want better lives, more money, better homes, and the very same things legal Americans strive for every day. They can not just walk in here and take it. To the people who are backing illegal immigration, if someone walked into your home and took what they wanted, would you help them pack it and cart it away? No? Why?

There are legal measures and they should be followed. I don't care of the illegals are from Jamaica, Mexico, or Ireland, throw them all out if they are here illegally. Offer them the opportunity to apply for citizenship and help them through the process, but if they refuse that offer, toss them across the border and ship them home.
    dont most of them live like...20 people in a tiny apartment? they're not here on vacation

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    They let us down by not securing the border and properly fining employers who hire illegals, and for even proposing to legalize illegal aliens. The American people rejected that "solution."

That was a bad bill. The non-partisan Congressional Budget office estimated it would have only lowered illegal immigration by 25%
    The Senate’s immigration bill will only reduce illegal immigration by about 25 percent a year, according to a new Congressional Budget Office report, Stephen Dinan will report Tuesday in The Washington Times.
    The bill’s new guest-worker program could lead to at least 500,000 more illegal immigrants within a decade, said the report from the CBO, which said in its official cost estimate that it assumes some future temporary workers will overstay their time in the plan, adding up to a half-million by 2017 and 1 million by 2027.
    “We anticipate that many of those would remain in the United States illegally after their visas expire,” CBO said of the guest-worker program, which would allow 200,000 new workers a year to rotate into the country.
    and it would have cost taxpayers more than 2.6 trillion dollars!

Amnesty Will Cost U.S. Taxpayers at Least $2.6 Trillion

If legalized, you allow illegal immigrants access to more social welfare programs than they currently take advantage of, and since 60% of illegals are so uneducated they don't even have a high school education, I can't see them holding jobs that would recoup enough taxes to pay for it.

If illegals want citizenship, they can go back to their country of origin and wait in the damn line like everybody else does. People who think they are above the law should not be rewarded for their illegal behavior.

Like I said in a previous post, there are now 10 million unemployed Americans. There is no need for illegals to fill job vacancies. We don't have any; we can no longer take care of our own people plus the people of another corrupt nation.
    i dont know about that, but how much would it cost to round up 12 million ppl under the radar and ship them out?! im sure it'd be triple that amount. and i think its actually impossible to do. its not going to happen. its our govts fault our borders are a joke first and foremost.

We have about 3 mil .illegals from various parts and for different reasons,our population is around 11mil..
    Do we have problems?sure we do.
    It comes down to *we use them,they use us*
    Greeks used to migrate,legally or otherwise,so they know first hand..the desparation,humiliation,unsecurity,homesickness,se cond or third rate citizen,no rights..
    We are tolerant..none would leave his place if there is no need..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Personally, I think the border fence is an impossibly stupid waste of money. I think someone came up with a figure of about $3M for each mile of fence erected... will people still try to sneak in? Of course. Policy changes need to be implemented in the realms of employment procedures, citizenship procedures, and sanctions for those caught here illegally or hiring/aiding illegals... we've let it snowball into this huge problem and if we think cutting off our borders will solve anything, it won't.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service
    May 1, 2006
    Illegal Immigrants are Paying a Lot More Taxes Than You Think
    Eight million illegals pay Social Security, Medicare, and income taxes
    By Shikha Dalmia

Denying public services to people who pay their taxes is an affront to America's bedrock belief in fairness. But many "pull-up-the-drawbridge" politicians want to do just that when it comes to illegal immigrants.
    The fact that illegal immigrants pay taxes at all will come as news to many Americans. A stunning two-thirds of illegal immigrants pay Medicare, Social Security and personal income taxes. Yet, nativists like Congressman Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., have popularized the notion that illegal aliens are a colossal drain on the nation's hospitals, schools and welfare programs — consuming services that they don't pay for.
    In reality, the 1996 welfare reform bill disqualified illegal immigrants from nearly all means-tested government programs including food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid and Medicare-funded hospitalization. The only services that illegals can still get are emergency medical care and K-12 education.

Nevertheless, Tancredo and his ilk pushed a bill through the House criminalizing all aid to illegal aliens — even private acts of charity by priests, nurses and social workers. Potentially, any soup kitchen that offers so much as a free lunch to an illegal could face up to five years in prison and seizure of assets.
    The Senate bill that recently collapsed would have tempered these draconian measures against private aid. But no one — Democrat or Republican — seems to oppose the idea of withholding public services. Earlier this year, Congress passed a law that requires everyone who gets Medicaid — the government-funded health care program for the poor — to offer proof of U.S. citizenship so we can avoid "theft of these benefits by illegal aliens," as Rep. Charlie Norwood, R-Ga., puts it.
    But, immigrants aren't flocking to the United States to mooch off the government. According to a study by the Urban Institute, the 1996 welfare reform effort dramatically reduced the use of welfare by undocumented immigrant households, exactly as intended. And another vital thing happened in 1996: the Internal Revenue Service began issuing identification numbers to enable illegal immigrants who don't have Social Security numbers to file taxes.
    One might have imagined that those fearing deportation or confronting the prospect of paying for their safety net through their own meager wages would take a pass on the IRS' scheme. Not so. Close to 8 million of the 12 million or so illegal aliens in the country today file personal income taxes using these numbers, contributing billions to federal coffers. No doubt they hope that this will one day help them acquire legal status — a plaintive expression of their desire to play by the rules and come out of the shadows.
    What's more, aliens who are not self-employed have Social Security and Medicare taxes automatically withheld from their paychecks. Since undocumented workers have only fake numbers, they'll never be able to collect the benefits these taxes are meant to pay for. Last year, the revenues from these fake numbers — that the Social Security administration stashes in the “earnings suspense file” — added up to 10 percent of the Social Security surplus. The file is growing, on average, by more than $50 billion a year.
    Beyond federal taxes, all illegals automatically pay state sales taxes that contribute toward the upkeep of public facilities such as roads that they use, and property taxes through their rent that contribute toward the schooling of their children. The non-partisan National Research Council found that when the taxes paid by the children of low-skilled immigrant families — most of whom are illegal — are factored in, they contribute on average $80,000 more to federal coffers than they consume.
    Yes, many illegal migrants impose a strain on border communities on whose doorstep they first arrive, broke and unemployed. To solve this problem equitably, these communities ought to receive the surplus taxes that federal government collects from immigrants. But the real reason border communities are strained is the lack of a guest worker program. Such a program would match willing workers with willing employers in advance so that they wouldn't be stuck for long periods where they disembark while searching for jobs.
    The cost of undocumented aliens is an issue that immigrant bashers have created to whip up indignation against people they don't want here in the first place. With the Senate having just returned from yet another vacation and promising to revisit the stalled immigration bill, politicians ought to set the record straight: Illegals are not milking the government. If anything, it is the other way around.
    Shikha Dalmia is a senior analyst at Reason Foundation, a free-market think tank. This column was originally distributed by the Knight Ridder/Tribune News

Reason.org

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i dont know about that, but how much would it cost to round up 12 million ppl under the radar and ship them out?! im sure it'd be triple that amount. and i think its actually impossible to do. its not going to happen. its our govts fault our borders are a joke first and foremost.
    To keep the huge flood of illegals out, the border would have to be a militarized zone, like what exists between countries like North and South Korea. Even then, illegals would find a way to get into our nation (many overstay visas, smuggle themselves on boats, etc.) IMO, a lot of it is Mexico's fault for not doing a thing to help their people. They have disgustingly rich people in that nation, but most are dirt poor and the rich couldn't care less. They just push them into the USA to allieviate political pressure to reform their corrupt society. Just look at our border with Canada. There are negligable illegal crossings along that border. We have a nation that actually cooperates with our country in securing the border, and less border guards covering a whole lot greater territory. You compare that to the chaos that exists on the southern border - illegal alien and drug smugglers, the Mexican military involved in helping illegal crossings, kids coming over the border everyday to attend our schools, etc.

I don't want the 20 million illegals deported. I want it so they won't be able to hold a job in this country. Suspend the business licenses of all these companies who are hiring illegals. Phase them out of the economy, and they will have to self deport. Just don't reward lawbreakers. If they want citizenship, they can do it the legal way, like everybody else does. I have ZERO sympathy or goodwill towards illegal aliens.

In reality, the 1996 welfare reform bill disqualified illegal immigrants from nearly all means-tested government programs including food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid and Medicare-funded hospitalization. The only services that illegals can still get are emergency medical care and K-12 education.

I just wanted to point out that if an illegal immigrant has a baby in America, their child has access to all the programs because the baby is an automatic US citizen. An illegal immigrant can sign their baby up for WIC, food stamps, FREE medical insurance without any co-pays, FREE dental insurance without any co-pays, etc.

It is illegal for these programs to ask for the parents' proof of citizenship. Illegals supply the agency with the child's birth certificate and the kid gets all the free assistance. So although the actual illegal doesn't get all of this free, their anchor babies do. They also aren't paying for these services, but their children collect on them. And as the article points out, they do get free emergency medical care and schooling.

Must be nice to have others pay for illegals' medical bills, could that be one of the reasons why so many US citizens can't afford private insurance? My husband and I are US citizens and we haven't had health insurance for a year. My husband's employer doesn't offer any insurance, and because a stupid asshole hit me in a car accident and caused my hospitalization, the private insurance companies want to charge us unafforable rates. My daughter has insurance, she's a priority, so our health care takes a back seat for now. If I go to the hospital for an emergency, do you think they are going to pay for my medical care? Hell no! They would hound me and because I am a citizen, they will force me to pay it.

Something isn't right here!

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    IMO, a lot of it is Mexico's fault for not doing a thing to help their people. They have disgustingly rich people in that nation, but most are dirt poor and the rich couldn't care less. They just push them into the USA to allieviate political pressure to reform their corrupt society.
    Well, not only does Mexico get rid of their poor class, their economy benefits when illegals send back money to their families back in Mexico.

Why would they stop the mass immigration? It's a win-win situation for Mexico.
    Last edited by Tati; November 8th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post

I just wanted to point out that if an illegal immigrant has a baby in American, their child has access to all the programs because the baby is an automatic US citizens. An illegal immigrant can sign their baby up for WIC, food stamps, FREE medical insurance without any co-pays, FREE dental insurance without any co-pays, etc.

It is illegal for these programs to ask for the parents' proof of citizenship. Illegals supply the agency with the child's birth certificate and the kid gets all the free assistance. So although the actual illegal doesn't get all of this free, their anchor babies do. They also aren't paying for these services, but their children collect on them. And as the article points out, they do get free emergency medical care and schooling.

Must be nice to have others pay for illegals' medical bills, could that be one of the reasons why so many people can't afford private insurance? My husband and I are US citizens and we haven't had health insurance for a year. My husband's employer doesn't offer any insurance, and because stupid asshole hit me in a car accident and caused my hospitalization, the private insurance companies want to charge us unafforable rates. My daughter has insurance, she's a priority, so our health care takes a back seat for now. If I go to the hospital for an emergency, do you think they are going to pay for my medical care? Hell no! They would hound me and because I am a citizen, they will force me to pay it.

Something is right here!
    You're right. Many pregnant women come over the border to have their child on US soil, so they can milk all of those free benefits.

One of the reasons health insurance premiums have skyrocketed is because of the illegals who don't have health care. It absolutely makes me sick to see Americans go bankrupt because they can't pay their medical bills, yet illegal aliens waltz into the emergency room if their children have a cold and don't pay a dime. We end up paying for their healthcare. And their pre-natal care, too. Read about all of the freebies (strollers, car seats, etc.) these illegal aliens receive from the government, things that US citizens and legal immigrants aren't eligible for.

Oh and I forgot to mention this too:

My mother owns a daycare and preschool funded by the tax payers of California. The state provides FREE tuition for every single child in her daycare, all the children are citizens and are of Mexican heritage. She knows for a fact that nearly all of the children in her daycare have at least one parent that is an illegal alien, she knows this because they refuse to supply her with employer info, IDs, etc. She cannot report them due to their citizenship, it is illegal.

Most of the parents and children cannot speak English, so my mother had to hire a bilingual assistant. Not to mention nearly every child that started preschool there did not know any English on their first day of school (and they were 3-4 years old). So sadly, many of them only get 1 year of English schooling before heading off to public school. That could be another reason why our public schools have horrible test results.

The state of California cannot deny the children free daycare/preschool because they are born in America. They do not ask for proof of their parents' citizenship, it is ILLEGAL to do that.

I looked into PART TIME preschool for my daughter, I have to pay for it since there are no free public preschools here. It would cost about $450 a month for her. If my mother charged those parents full time tuition for one month, they would have to pay $800 a month for each child! Tax payers pay that instead................

ETA: I don't write this stuff because I am out to get illegals or anything. I am close to the border, I see first hand how the immigration problems affect my state. I have lived in southern California my whole life. I can tell you it is worse now than it was 15 years ago. I see a BIG difference already, how bad will it be in another 15 years? I am pissed that nothing is being done about it, I feel like everyone has forgotten about the border states. We need solutions!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information