Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 138

Thread: 349,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2008

  1. #31
    Elite Member nana55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    I live in San diego, south San Diego. This is a very sore point for me also. When I came here from Canada we jumped through all the hoops and that was many many years ago. People say we need to have illegals because no one else would do the job. Of course not, no one wants to work for slave wages. We need to pay people a decent wage. Yes, prices will go up, but we are a greedy society who wants more and more junk. 2 cars may not be enough, or if they are, they aren't used, they are big expensive pieces of crap that they park in front of their big exspensive house that they can't afford. they park them in the driveway because their garages are full of more useless crap that they don't need. So pity, I have some for their lifestyles. However I think we need to demand Mexico start taking care of their country and people. It is located in a place that could have a fantastic lifestyle for their people but they are so corrupt it won't happen. we Americans need to boycott the country until they take care of their own people and stop sending the worst of what they have. California is quickly turning into a thrid world country. Our best and brightest are leaving because the schools and style of life are becoming unbearable. Those of us who live here feel differently than the rest of the country, even the dems down here are sick of it. I'm sick of having to move to an area that is too expensive for me to get my kids into a decent school, or having to pay for private school. the hospital are filled with people who are from Mexico and can't pay. woman come over the border, have their babies, then stay because now their children are American citizens. We call those anchor babies. Now they are eligble for welefare because of the child. It goes on and on.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

  2. #32
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    In the areas here with high amounts of illegal immigrants, you also see more disease and poverty. Does that affect just them? Of course not. That also breeds more crime, thats obvious. And my car insurance rates are higher because there are so many damned people on the road who aren't getting car insurance. My insurance agent told me this is the problems with illegals. So I have to pay for that now as well. If I'm a citizen and I refuse to pay my taxes, I will be jailed. But if you're not a citizen, using the resources and not paying taxes, you get a slap on the wrist? What the hell does that tell you? I agree that there has to be major preventative measures here, like border fences (I don't know how effective that will be, but still) and dire consequences for those who commit crimes on our soil who are illegal immigrants. None of these dipshit maneuvers like shipping them back to Mexico, for them never to be tried in their justice system (because who really gives a shit if they hurt American citizens) and then them crossing back over again (Mexico doesn't care, they don't profit from their criminals). The one profiting here is Mexico. When my husband came here, he had to get extensive vaccinations and immunizations so he didn't bring any infectious diseases with him. Not so with illegals. He also had to communicate, at least on a basic level (he's fluent) in English. Illegals don't. He also had to undergo extensive background checks to make sure he wasn't dangerous. Illegals don't. I certainly don't begrudge people for wanting a better life, but there is a LEGAL way of doing it. If they are doing it illegally without consequence, I have to wonder why. Something wonky or illegal in their background, so they think they won't pass? Selfishness? Not wanting to pay taxes? I don't care what their reasons are, they should be held to the same standard of culpability as American citizens.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  3. #33
    Elite Member nana55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    ^^ITA agree. I have NO objection to someone coming legally like your husband, my husband, and myself did, but it is wrong to say the illegals can come because it is tough in their country. Then make the country clean it up, we can't take the world's people like we used to.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

  4. #34
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    I love the "they do the jobs nobody else will do" argument.

    How about you pay a proper, working, livable wage? Then people will do it. People don't do it now because they can't live on 2 dollars an hour. Maximizing your profits by paying shit, and then hiring illegals to further milk the system when nobody in America will take the job, is why the US is in the problem it's in.

    Pure greed.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  5. #35
    Elite Member nana55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    I so agree with you Grimm. We've been fed the line "no one will do it" for so long people belive it. The minimum wage is so low no one in California can live on it. I have done those jobs. when I was 18 I worked at KMart, in 1969. they paid .20 more an hour than Macy's $1.85 an hour. With that salary I was able to rent an apartment here in San Diego. Try that now on today's minimum wage. Yes, more people would take the job, like they do at "In and out burgers" if the wages were better. Not huge, but better.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

  6. #36
    Elite Member DeadDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    I live in southern California, so I see first hand illegal immigrant issues. A big problem I have with our situation is our schools. They are SHIT. They were okay when I was little 20 years ago, but now they are fucking horrible. I have a kid of my own and I am trying to figure out what I am going to do when she goes to school in a few years. Either I home school her or pay $5,000+ a year for private school because public school is NOT an option. There are too many kids in our schools and not enough tax dollars paying for it all.

    My family has known an illegal immigrant family for 15 years and they are wonderful people. The husband came here first and then earned enough money to have the coyotes smuggle his eldest son and wife to California. He paid $1,000 for each. Then when they made enough they paid smugglers to bring their other two sons up so they could work.

    Then send a lot of money home to their oldest daughter who has raised her EIGHT younger siblings. The siblings consider her their mother and cannot get paper work to come to America. The husband and wife living in America had another daughter before the wife hit menopause (they are Catholics and never practiced birth control). They all refuse to move back to Mexico and consider themselves America now. They work illegally in landscaping/yard work and lived in a garage for 10 years before moving into an 2 bedroom apartment last year.

    They are good people and wanted a better life. I guess I can see both sides of illegal immigrant. I can't exactly blame them for leaving Mexico, I would probably do the same. Something needs to be done though, California is being hit hard by all the illegal immigrant expenses. They are using our programs, but not paying the taxes to fund them.

  7. #37
    Elite Member L1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chillin with my homeboy Xenu
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    We have a similar problem in Canada, but it's mostly people overstaying their visas or claiming refugee status, having it rejected but staying anyway.

    There was a story about a month ago about a Sikh wanting refugee status in BC. He was living in Abbotsford and bouncing between the huge Sikh temples in Abby and Surrey for a few years. Canada Customs refused to grant him status because he came here on a forged passport. Than in the article he's BAWWWING about how's he's being mistreated by the Canadian government and he's going back to India anyway.

    It's like HELLO, don't come to a country you want to live in on a forged passport, than bitch when you don't get your way.

  8. #38
    Elite Member DeadDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    Oh shit! I never told you guys this. You have to read this story, it's insane!


    There's this house down the street that has about 10 Mexicans living in it. Two weeks ago we were sitting on our couch watching TV when we heard this car racing and making horrible noises.

    Then all of a sudden we heard a sound that sounded like a bomb, it shook our walls and windows, then the power went out. We look out our window and there's a car in our yard, less than 10 feet from the side of our house! This Mexican dude hit our HUGE power box and moved it 4 feet into our yard and had the front of his car stuck in it. If he didn't hit the power box first he would have ran into our house, my daughter was sleeping on the couch where he would have hit!! It scared the shit out of me.

    We run out to our yard and the guy spots us and he yells at the 12 year old girl in the car, she gets out and runs home. His windshield was smashed, his airbags had gone off and there are sparks everywhere. My husband yells "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!" and the driver tries to drive away!!!! He gets his car across the street and hits another car and tries to take off again, but can't drive away because his entire tire came off of his car and was sitting in the street 10 feet away. Plus the car was starting to catch on fire!!!!! We were calling the cops and screaming at him to turn off his car so it wouldn't blow up.

    The guy gets out of his car and is FUCKED up, drunk or coked out of his mind or something. He can't speak any English and he tries to run away, but by then all the neighbors are on the street. Everyone starts yelling at him and enclosing him into a circle, telling him not to fucking run. He was scared so he just sat in the street with his hands covering his face, telling our neighbor in Spanish how he was going to jail.

    Three cop cars and two fire trucks came. They question everyone and arrest the guy for all kinds of things. Turns out he pulled a hit and run a few blocks away. His car bumper fell off so he jumped out of his car and stuck it in his backseat and drove 50 MPH through our residential street to get home so he wouldn't get caught, and that's when he nearly hit our house! So in 10 minutes total he managed to drive drunk, hit two cars, hit a power box, flee with a hit and run and attempted another hit and run, all while speeding 50 MPH through a populated neighborhood!

    He was an illegal immigrant and had no insurance at all. So thank god he didn't hit our house. The damage to the electrical box is going to be paid with tax payers' money because the city owns it, and obviously the cops/fire dept. is paid out of our pockets too. The lady across the street has to use her uninsured motor coverage to fix her car. And the guy went to jail that night, don't know what happened to him after that.

    I hate to say it, but this shit happens a lot around here. My friend got hit a month ago and the guy in the other car jumped out of the car and ran. My friend (a big guy) chased him down and pinned him on the ground until the cops came. That guy was an illegal immigrant with no insurance too.

  9. #39
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,413

    Default

    We had to jump through all kinds of bureaucratic and financial hoops to migrate legally to Australia and deliberately make it like that to weed out the people who are fully committed to making a new life here and contributing to the economy and society. I have no problem with that. Also, because of our lucky geography (we're an island) keeping track of who comes and goes is much easier - although some still slip through in boats from Indonesia - and we have the problem of people over-staying their visas. But anyone who is either caught at the border (airport) or elsewhere is usually either deported on the next flight or locked up while they apply for permanent residency. I don't have a problem with that either.

    Seems to me that the problem we all have with illegals isn't the fact they are 'here', it's the fact that they have access to publicly funded health, education and housing benefits and pay no taxes in return. So make them legal, pay them a decent wage, require them to pay taxes like the rest of us. Those who don't want to participate/assimilate - and there are many who don't - should be kicked out.

    If you think the problem is bad in the US, you should see what it's like in the UK these days.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  10. #40
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    fix the goddamn borders 1st. our borders are complete and utter joke! and have you seen the ppl who work at our airports?! MORONS!

    then the most logical and cost-effective thing to do would just to make everyone legal and we can move onward and upward. Once everyone is legal, we increase the tax base for one and quit the abuse and subjugation of a whole population of folks living under the radar.

    but our borders need to be fixed. its a disgrace truly. Even mexico has a far superior border 'against' Guatemala.

  11. #41
    Elite Member L1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chillin with my homeboy Xenu
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    This post might make me sound like I belong on Stormfront but I'm just stating my observations.

    The largest immigrant group in BC is Indians. The majority of them, whether illegal or legal don't cause problems, but sometimes I feel they think they're 'above the law.'

    Indians do a LOT of the fruit picking here and they get transported in vans that have absolutely NO business being on the road. These vans are modified to have benches with absolutely NO seatbelts and carry up to 20 people.
    There was a horrific accident, not too long ago, that involved one of these vans:
    http://www.nriinternet.com/NRI_Accid...DIED/Index.htm

    It was truly a horrific accident, but it's hard to feel sorry for someone that willfully disobeys the law and puts themselves at risk like this.
    I don't want to sound like a race-baiter or racist but if it was a white-owned van that had white workers that crashed in the same circumstances, they'd be in jail right now.

  12. #42
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    349,000 isn't going to make a dent. It just upsets me that there are people trying so hard to get here, and work so hard..and they can't...but someone basically just walks in...
    I understand that. But the number of illegals being deported has been rising rapidly for a few years. If this trend continues, it will make a dent in the numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    In a mirco level, the price of your fresh fruit and vegetables would go through the roof if illegals weren't there to pick and pack them.

    While I strongly disapprove of illegals receiving welfare perks and other benefits they are a 'necessary evil' so long as the home-grown labour force remains unwilling to do the shitty jobs the illegals do for us.
    Labor is a small part of the price of vegetables.

    I disagree that illegals are doing jobs no one wants to do. When the Kosher Meatpacking Plant in Postville, Iowa was raided by ICE, it was reported that the illegals they arrested were making $8 an hour compared to the $20 an hour citizens were being paid to do their jobs not so long ago. There isn't a shortage of willing workers. There is a shortage of employers willing to pay a decent wage.

    There are 10 million unemployed Americans. We have lost 1.2 million jobs this year due to the shitty economy. Tell the unemployed that illegals are doing jobs that no one wants. It pisses me off that illegals have jobs while Americans are out of work. That's just another hidden cost of illegal immigration - paying unemployment to Americans who would otherwise be employed.

    Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    The fact still stands that Mexico is not currently included on the Green Card lottery, meaning anyone who wants to legally come to the States from there is basically barking up the wrong tree. Also, the American immigration policy is and has been rife with racism. As late at the early 1990's there was a program promoting emigration from Northern Europe witht the stated aim of attracting more white Europeans since there had been so many non-whites coming in (legally) and it alarmed Congress.

    It is an incredibly complicated issue with no easy answers and i don't think it's making excuses or an attempt to pull anyone's heart strings when I say that the majority of people come over the border, knowing full well they are breaking the law, because they want a better life for themselves and those they love. And I can't see how people are really suffering, quite frankly. The amount it costs anyone out of their taxes is so small as to barely be noticable. I'll wager any one of us spend more on coffee in two days than it costs us, personally as tax payers, in a year on this issue.
    Mexico is not a part of the DIVERSITY visa lottery because they send more legal immigrants to this country than any other country. The visa lottery is for citizens of countries that don't send many immigrants to the US. That is why you see a lot of people from Europe or Africa or the Middle East receive these visas. These regions don't send a lot of immigrants to the US. Most of the immigrants come from Latin America and Asia. The top 3 source countries are Mexico, China and India. The stuff you wrote about a racist immigration system is BS. Few immigrants fit the WASP/white profile.

    200,000-250,000 LEGAL immigrants from Mexico come yearly. That's more than generous. We can't take their whole damn population of poor, uneducated people. That's more than 1/2 of their country. They need to solve their own problems. We have enough of our own without them making their problems ours.

    Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    punish the people that hire them.
    Yep. Employers who willingly hire illegals should either be jailed or have their business licenses revoked, as far as I'm concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I live in San diego, south San Diego. This is a very sore point for me also. When I came here from Canada we jumped through all the hoops and that was many many years ago. People say we need to have illegals because no one else would do the job. Of course not, no one wants to work for slave wages. We need to pay people a decent wage. Yes, prices will go up, but we are a greedy society who wants more and more junk. 2 cars may not be enough, or if they are, they aren't used, they are big expensive pieces of crap that they park in front of their big exspensive house that they can't afford. they park them in the driveway because their garages are full of more useless crap that they don't need. So pity, I have some for their lifestyles. However I think we need to demand Mexico start taking care of their country and people. It is located in a place that could have a fantastic lifestyle for their people but they are so corrupt it won't happen. we Americans need to boycott the country until they take care of their own people and stop sending the worst of what they have. California is quickly turning into a thrid world country. Our best and brightest are leaving because the schools and style of life are becoming unbearable. Those of us who live here feel differently than the rest of the country, even the dems down here are sick of it. I'm sick of having to move to an area that is too expensive for me to get my kids into a decent school, or having to pay for private school. the hospital are filled with people who are from Mexico and can't pay. woman come over the border, have their babies, then stay because now their children are American citizens. We call those anchor babies. Now they are eligble for welefare because of the child. It goes on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I live in southern California, so I see first hand illegal immigrant issues. A big problem I have with our situation is our schools. They are SHIT. They were okay when I was little 20 years ago, but now they are fucking horrible. I have a kid of my own and I am trying to figure out what I am going to do when she goes to school in a few years. Either I home school her or pay $5,000+ a year for private school because public school is NOT an option. There are too many kids in our schools and not enough tax dollars paying for it all.
    It's a damn shame that Americans can't send their children to public schools that they are paying taxes for because the illegals' children are overcrowding the schools and destroying the school quality. The illegals are supposedly coming here "for a better life for their children" yet more than 1/2 of them are dropping out of high school and their daughters are becoming pregnant at ages 15-19. It scares the shit out of me that their children don't seem to be moving up in society like past immigrant groups. I don't know what their culture is like in rural Mexico, but perhaps it doesn't translate here; it really scares me that we are creating a huge uneducated underclass, like what exists in third world countries.

    The hidden costs of illegal immigration are tremendous - welfare, food stamps, educating their children, free school lunches, public housing, health care costs, the costs of jailing the criminals, increase in housing costs to live in a decent area, private school costs for your children, increased auto and health care insurance premiums to pay for all the uninsured, etc, etc. And they aren't paying nearly enough in taxes to make up for it.

  13. #43
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    ^ so then make them legal and get more taxes. its a no-brainer.

  14. #44
    Elite Member DeadDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ so then make them legal and get more taxes. its a no-brainer.
    Something has to be done. About 2 years ago a lot of people around here were pissed when they tried to pass the law to give illegal immigrants citizenship. It didn't pass, but we are still footing the bill like we were before. Nothing was solved by denying them citizenship.

    There's no way we can round up all the illegals, it's NOT going to happen. And if our borders are wide open that thousands of illegals can cross at night, how can we keep supporting them all? California has the most tourism, tons of rich residents, high cost of living and property taxes, etc. How do we keep going bankrupt? Could it be because of the MILLIONS of illegals in our state?

    I really think that the states that border Mexico are affected the most by illegal immigration. And since the majority of the US isn't hurting as bad as we are, it doesn't seem to be a priority to solve the illegal immigration problem. In another 10 years when other states are bankrupt, maybe people will wake the hell up and do something.

    Secure our borders to keep new illegals out and start taxing the illegals here by giving them citizenship and deny citizenship to those who break our laws. If we mass deport them, they will be back next week. They will die trying to cross the border. Our system isn't working, we need to try something new. I don't like the idea of rewarding those who have broken the law, but we are running out of options.

    I'd love to move out of state where the state isn't bankrupt and my kids can go to GOOD public schools. My husband says it's not bad enough for him to move away (our families live here), but he said it might be an option in a few years, depending on how bad CA gets.

    BTW, I love how people go, "Oh, Bush made us safe from terrorists and we can't be attacked..." and yatta yatta. Our border along Mexico is wide open. People can walk across on foot. Like I said before, I know an entire family of 5 that did it for a price of $5,000. Nothing has changed. We are not safe. Wake the fuck up people!

  15. #45
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    I take it all of you who are against illegal immigration have looked up the source of your produce and boycott illegal-picked fruit/vegetables. And contacted the fruit companies, suppliers, and stores to voice your disapproval? Or do you still shop the cheap fruit?

    I take it you've also boycotted the Home Depots, McDonalds, other fast food restaurants, carwashes, grocery stores, etc. etc. with illegal employees? Or do you still spend there?

    Do you more importantly also BOYCOTT FREE TRADE products which encourage poverty if not slavery in Mexico, and far beyond, that drive people to the U.S. to find a better life?

    Isn't it sad that working in a McDonalds cleaning shit-filled toilets for minimum wage and no benefits is a "better life" that people aspire to and risk their lives for? There is a much deeper problem going on, and it won't be fixed by building a fence!!

    You only vote on election day, but you spend your money every day.

    Just like we are reframing our spending regarding global warming (green products, energy, etc.), we need to reform our spending regarding human rights. Labor laws and wage laws would benefit Americans and everyone else. But no laws are going to change if the politicians and the business owners are still getting your money. You can say whatever you want, they only hear "cha-ching."

    It's easy to point at illegal immigrants as the problem, but they are not the people orchestrating the problem with horrible economic and human rights policies.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "What if we threw out all the illegal immigrants"
    By Moongirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: July 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
  2. U.S. illegal immigrants 'self deport' as woes mount
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
  3. Congressman Paul on illegal immigrants
    By JamieElizabeth in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
  4. Should illegal immigrants have the right to vote?
    By Sojiita in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •