Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton launches 2008 presidential bid

Default Hillary Clinton launches 2008 presidential bid

NEW YORK - Democratic Sen.
    Hillary Rodham Clinton embarked on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the first female president. "I'm in and I'm in to win," she said on her Web site.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton's announcement, days after Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) shook up the contest race with his bid to become the first black president, establishes the most diverse political field ever.

Clinton is considered the front-runner, with Obama and 2004 vice presidential nominee
    John Edwards top contenders. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who would be the first Hispanic president, intends to announce his plans on Sunday.

"You know after six years of
    George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America," Clinton says in a videotaped message in which she invites voters to begin a dialogue with her on the major issues health care,
    Social Security and Medicare, and the war in
    Iraq.

"I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said. "Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

Clinton, who was re-elected to a second term last November, said she will spend the next two years "doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism."

In a defiant statement and a nod to questions about her electability Clinton said: "I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine. After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them."

With millions in the bank, a vast network of supporters and top status in nearly every poll of Democratic contenders, Clinton is undertaking the most viable effort by a female candidate to capture the White House. Her creation of a presidential exploratory committee allows her to raise money for the campaign; she already has lined up campaign staff.

She is the first presidential spouse to pursue the office; her husband, Bill, served two terms in the White House from 1993-2001.

Obama said in a statement soon after Clinton's entry, "I welcome her and all the candidates, not as competitors, but as allies in the work of getting our country back on track."

Clinton's announcement was the latest step in a remarkable political and personal journey for the 59-year-old Clinton from Arkansas lawyer to first lady to New York senator to front-runner for the Democratic nomination.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/...pr/clinton2008

Well I guess it is time to buy those knee pads and get my lip implants so I can go begging and ass kissing other countries to let me become a citizen. I am not kidding. Anybody but her. Save us, Obama!

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Well I guess it is time to buy those knee pads and get my lip implants so I can go begging and ass kissing other countries to let me become a citizen. I am not kidding. Anybody but her. Save us, Obama!
    That's funny you say that. My uncle is terrified of her also. For some reason he thinks of her as Stalin, and willing to rip property rights away from individuals. I personally think it might be for the better, but still unsure.

I think most New Yorkers feel duped right now too with this annoucement of hers. Like she really didn't care about them.

I have never cared for her. She seems so cold and hard. I'm backing Obama, though I know very little about him.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I think most New Yorkers feel duped right now too with this annoucement of hers. Like she really didn't care about them.
    From what I've heard from folks, it's pretty indifferent. We knew she had bigger goals all along so its not a huge surprise. (Or in my neck o'the woods, a yoodge suhprize) She's been such a ridiculously good Senator, even Republicans have put it on the record they're big fans of her work.

I guess no one really cares because if she fails, she's still our Senator. If I had my druthers, she'd become the new Ted Kennedy. A lifelong Senator with oodles of clout, fighting for all the causes- big and small.

imho, she's incredibly bright and highly qualified to tackle on big picture issues. And if I were her and got elected POTUS, I'd send Bill all over the world on 'goodwill missions' to butter foreign leaders up before actually setting forth agendas and treaties and the like. They respond to him.

So either way, it's not such a big deal. She wins, she's president- she loses, she's a Senator. Not a bad life.

But you know which New Yorker would make a bang-up POTUS? NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg! And that's coming from a lifelong Dem. He has totally turned the city around and gets shite done. I'd vote for him over Barack and Hillary, crazy no? [/end political rant]
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post

So either way, it's not such a big deal. She wins, she's president- she loses, she's a Senator. Not a bad life.

I agree.
    There's no doubt this woman could do the job, I'm just not sure if she'd do it as well as she does the job of a senator. Personally, I think it's too early for anyone to automatically decide who they're going to support in this race. I want to see what all these canidates have to say.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Well, as a New Yorker, I don't feel duped, but I can see why you might think that way darksith. Sure, she might be leaving us (if she wins) but if she doesn't, that's cool. Just my opinion, but I think she's done a good job here in a state that needed her. Do I think she would make a good President? I don't know......but she's better than whats in office now.

I need to look at Obama's politics...

Hey Lynnie, do you upstaters hate us downstaters as much as we're led to believe?
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

^^Nah! Though it can be frustrating to see our tax $$ go to NYC, or so it would appear. At times 'we' may feel a bit forgotten, as some politicians pay almost no attention to Upstate, unless of course its during campaign time. Hillary was not one of those politicans...she was actually walking around my neighborhood (w/Secret Service in tow) talking to everyone, appeared to actually listen too. I missed it unfortunately.

Upstaters probably seem like total hicks to NYC'ers. And that wouldn't be far from the truth actually.....well, at least some of us. Some real freaks up here.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    ^^Nah! Though it can be frustrating to see our tax $$ go to NYC, or so it would appear. At times 'we' may feel a bit forgotten, as some politicians pay almost no attention to Upstate, unless of course its during campaign time. Hillary was not one of those politicans...she was actually walking around my neighborhood (w/Secret Service in tow) talking to everyone, appeared to actually listen too. I missed it unfortunately.

Upstaters probably seem like total hicks to NYC'ers. And that wouldn't be far from the truth actually.....well, at least some of us. Some real freaks up here.

That's why I like Hiliary as a senator. She's visted the GF area several times. Most of the time people and politicians think of NY just as the city. They forget that there's thousands of other people that take up the rest of the state.

And no, we aren't all hicks!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I was initially hesitant towards Hillary but she convinced me she's a good leader. But I certainly don't think upstaters are hicks, heck-no. I mean there's a million downstaters who moved to the city. I'd like to go to Buffalo, I hear the architecture is gorgeous.

Regarding taxes, a lot of cityfolk think NYC drives much of the state's economy and deserve money back for our schools. I think we just won a lawsuit for the state to pony up some dough for the public schools but NY's come up with nothing.

I still don't consider myself a New Yorker so I like to pretend I'm a conscientous objector. Who votes, lol.

^^I agree Amber! She made a serious effort to get Upstate in the game, and has continued to do that.

All I know is that it's a case of BTB.

Better Than Bush.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Im so fucking excited! I'm totally helping her and I even want to quit my job and join her campaign, but realistically I'll just volunteer she's has millions of Hollywood money on her side too

I LOVE YOU HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill looked even more excited than her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information