Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black people "should get over" slavery says legislator

Default Black people "should get over" slavery says legislator

Black people 'should get over' slavery? Comment stuns lawmakers in Virginia
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    01/17/2007

RICHMOND, Va. A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery and questioned whether Jews should apologize "for killing Christ," drawing denunciations Tuesday from stunned colleagues.

Delegate Frank D. Hargrove, who is white and Christian(and Republican), made his remarks in opposition to a measure that would apologize on the state's behalf to the descendants of slaves.

In an interview published Tuesday in The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, Hargrove, 79, said slavery ended nearly 140 years ago with the Civil War and added that "our black citizens should get over it."

The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"

Black lawmakers swiftly denounced Hargrove's comments.

"When somebody tells me I should just get over slavery, I can only express my emotion by projecting that I am appalled, absolutely appalled," said Delegate Dwight C. Jones, head of the Legislative Black Caucus.

Delegate David L. Englin also criticized Hargrove's remarks, recalling that his grandparents were driven from their homes in Poland "by people who believed that as Jews, we killed Christ."

When Hargrove rose to speak, he told Englin he didn't care about Englin's religion. "I think your skin was a little too thin," Hargrove said as lawmakers gasped and groaned.
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...D?OpenDocument

Not overly sensitive.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

::rubs hands together:: The Repugs, one by one, just keep hangin' themselves.

We need an age cutoff for our government employees. I cannot imagine a 79-year-old man being capable of keeping up to the many requirements of office.......like critical thinking.....butt then again, Bush isn't that old.....and look at his thought processes.....

Hit By Ban Bus!

Too bad critical thinking isn't profitable - we'd see a lot more of it.

See, I'm of two minds about this.

1) Nobody alive today in the US from African stock has ever been subject to slavery in the formal sense. Many older examples did, however, live through a form of apartheid in the south.. riding the back of the bus and so on.

2) Blaming modern issues on past slavery has become something of a crutch... overused and played out. Everything now is a result of said oppression in the past, it's all whitey's fault (and to a degree racism does still exist in society, but that degree varies from place to place), and the race card is pulled out way too often.

so. How do you separate the official racism and resultant societal degeneration from past slavery from the trumped up, race-card, blame-everything-on-whitey nonsense?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

1) Nobody alive today in the US from African stock has ever been subject to slavery in the formal sense. Many older examples did, however, live through a form of apartheid in the south.. riding the back of the bus and so on.
    There's still slavery in the US that occurs now.

http://www.gvnet.com/humantrafficking/USA.htm

The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency estimates that 50,000 people are trafficked into or transited through the U.S.A. annually as sex slaves, domestics, garment, and agricultural slaves.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    so. How do you separate the official racism and resultant societal degeneration from past slavery from the trumped up, race-card, blame-everything-on-whitey nonsense?
    That's the rub, my friend. That's the rub.

Been going on even now that many more blacks have better opportunities and have become much more upwardly mobile. I heard something recently at school that shocked me... clearly there is still racism in the annals of universities. (Can't discuss it without giving away identifying info.)

^^ You're very wrong Grimm because of one simple, personal fact. My mother, who was born in 1950, was not allowed BY LAW to start kindergarten until November when the harvest was in. True story. So don't tell me no living blacks were subjected to it, for Christ's sake, MLK was killed in 1964, does that really seem eons past to you?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Holy shit. I knew that but had forgotten it. That law should have applied across the board. It existed in white areas whee there are only whites (I think still does), but it should have been across the board in the areas where people of color did most of the work like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ^^ You're very wrong Grimm because of one simple, personal fact. My mother, who was born in 1950, was not allowed BY LAW to start kindergarten until November when the harvest was in. True story. So don't tell me no living blacks were subjected to it, for Christ's sake, MLK was killed in 1964, does that really seem eons past to you?
    Grimm isn't disputing that, as he very clearly said in his first post. I think what he is saying, and what I concur with, is that there is no point in being stuck in that place forever. With the huge amount of work that still needs to be done to adress the very real inequities that still exist, why waste time bemoaning things that you can't change?

Remember them, honour them, but focus on the future -- keep your eyes on the prize as King liked to say.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    There's still slavery in the US that occurs now.

http://www.gvnet.com/humantrafficking/USA.htm

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yes, besides the vietnamese hookers and whatnot, geesh..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Re-read my post before saying I'm wrong.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg we were just discussing this in the lunch room at work and laughing up a storm b/c it is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard! the old man should be taken out back somewhere and left to rot; clearly his momma drank heavily during that pregnancy.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Well, at I at least hope he doesn't come back, head bowed, apologizing, saying how "inexcusable" and "insensitive" he was and offering to go to sensitivity training or, god forbid, rehab to atone for his sin. I'm almost relieved anymore for someone to just say what they think and mean rather than all the PC crap that is out there. I say that even if I am the target of whatever insensitive barbs are being handed out that day.
    That's just my overall opinion on how people get so up in arms over every asshole with a mouthpiece, even if they are in the legislature.
    That said, I'm not sure that the universities are any more racist than anything else. In fact, they seem overrun with a left wing agenda and many whites and males are often subjected to pseudo-science crap about the (say it all together now)white male heterosexual patriarchy that is responsible for anything that is wrong in your life. When I was in undergrad and graduate school I felt so bad for the men in my classes because they just had to sit there and listen while being blamed for everybody else's problems and everything that is wrong with the world. I wouldn't have stood for it, but how quickly people turned on you if you dared not buy into the Kool-Aid drinking PC rhetoric. I guess I'm just so fed up with the PC brigade that I really don't care who gives it a thumb to the eye.
    I don't beleive any thinking person can deny that slavery has shaped this culture and that racism still exists in various forms. Personally, though, it just gets old hearing one group get blamed all the time for things people do to themselves that help keep them oppressed, such as having babies at age 14 (and there not even being a stigma against it anymore in some communities), dropping out of school, etc.

I'm pretty much in the place that I refuse to feel guilty for shit done in the past because the color of my skin.

I wasn't there, I didn't do it, nor do I participate in or encourage such behavior now.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information