Thread: Even U.S. soldiers hate President Bush

SVZ

Default Even U.S. soldiers hate President Bush

The Military Times released a new poll yesterday of 6,000 active duty U.S. military personnel. The results were revealing. Some highlights:
    – Only 35 percent said they approve of the way President Bush is handling the war, while 42 percent said they disapproved.

– 50 percent believe success in Iraq is likely, down from 83 percent in 2004.

– 38 percent believe the United States should send more troops to Iraq. 39 percent believe we should maintain current levels or reduce the number of troops, including 13 percent who support complete withdrawal.

– 72 percent believe the military is “stretched too thin to be effective.”

– 47 percent disagree with President Bush’s mantra that the war in Iraq is part of the war against terrorism, while the same percentage agree.

– Only 41 percent of the military said the U.S. should have gone to war in Iraq in the first place, down from 65 percent in 2003. That closely reflects the beliefs of the general population today — 45 percent agreed in a recent USA Today/Gallup poll.

– 52 percent approve of the overall job President Bush is doing, down from 71 percent in 2004.

– 63 percent say the senior military leadership has the best interests of the troops at heart. That number is lower from
    President Bush (48 percent) and lower still for civilian military leadership (32 percent) and Congress (23 percent).
    Greg Sargent and Steve Benen have more.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/12/30/military-poll/

I'm married to a serviceman and I live on a multi-branch military base. Out of all the soldiers I've talked to, NONE approve of either Bush or the war in Iraq. In fact, the soldiers that have served in Iraq come back all saying the same thing: "Why?". GW is seen as more of a joke in the military rather than a leader. There is alot of resentment towards the US Government due to the fact that these men and women are out there serving way over the usual tour of duty, being sent back after just a few months stateside, being injured and dying. They just don't see the point anymore, if they ever saw one to begin with.
    I child-proofed my house but they keep getting back in!

Thread Information