Thread: Conservative calls lesbian Mary Cheney's pregnancy "unconscionable"

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Thumbs down Conservative calls lesbian Mary Cheney's pregnancy "unconscionable"

Mixed reaction to Cheney's daughter's pregnancy

Story Highlights

•NEW Conservative calls Mary Cheney's pregnancy "unconscionable."
    •Cheney, 37, is due in late spring
    •Vice president and his wife are looking forward to the birth, spokeswoman says
    •Mary Cheney and her partner moved to Virginia recently to be near Cheney family

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Conservative leaders voiced dismay Wednesday at news that Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Dick Cheney, is pregnant, while a gay-rights group said the vice president faces "a lifetime of sleepless nights" for serving in an administration that has opposed recognition of same-sex couples.

Mary Cheney, 37, and her partner of 15 years, Heather Poe, 45, are expecting a baby in late spring, said Lea Anne McBride, a spokeswoman for the vice president.

"The vice president and Mrs. Cheney are looking forward with eager anticipation" to the arrival of their sixth grandchild, McBride said.

Mary Cheney was an aide to her father during the 2004 campaign, and now is vice president for consumer advocacy at AOL. She and Poe moved from Colorado to Virginia a year ago to be closer to the Cheney family.

Family Pride, which advocates on behalf of gay and lesbian families, noted that Virginia last month became one of 27 states with a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

"Unless they move to a handful of less restrictive states, Heather will never be able to have a legal relationship with her child," said Family Pride executive director Jennifer Chrisler.

The couple "will quickly face the reality that no matter how loved their child will be. ... he or she will never have the same protections that other children born to heterosexual couples enjoy," Chrisler said. "Grandfather Cheney will no doubt face a lifetime of sleepless nights as he reflects on the irreparable harm he and his administration have done to the millions of American gay and lesbian parents and their children."

For years, Mary Cheney's openness about her sexual orientation had posed a dilemma for conservative activists who admire Dick Cheney's stance on many issues but consider homosexuality a sin.

Janice Crouse of Concerned Women for America described the pregnancy as "unconscionable."

"It's very disappointing that a celebrity couple like this would deliberately bring into the world a child that will never have a father," said Crouse, a senior fellow at the group's think tank. "They are encouraging people who don't have the advantages they have."

Crouse said there was no doubt that the news would, in conservatives' eyes, be damaging to the Bush administration, which already has been chided by some leaders on the right for what they felt was halfhearted commitment to anti-abortion and anti-gay-rights causes in this year's general election.

Carrie Gordon Earll, a policy analyst for the conservative Christian ministry Focus on the Family, expressed empathy for the Cheney family but depicted the newly announced pregnancy as unwise.

"Just because you can conceive a child outside a one-woman, one-man marriage doesn't mean it's a good idea," said. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."

The vice president's office declined to elaborate on the circumstances of Mary Cheney's pregnancy.

The news was welcomed by the president of the largest national gay-rights group, Joe Solmonese of the Human Rights Campaign.

"Mary and Heather's decision to have a child is an example that families in America come in all different shapes and sizes," he said. "The bottom line is that a family is made up of love and commitment."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/....ap/index.html
    They seem like they'd be pretty damn good parents if you ask me! They've been together for years (a safe steady relationship) and she stands up for herself with no apologies - all are good things for a kid being brought into this world. IMO its Conservatives having kids that is "unconscionable".

What makes me mad whenever this relationship is brought up is Cheney's hypocrisy--he won't say anything one way or another. What the hell kind of father won't stand up and say I'm proud of my gay daughter, when there is much to be proud of (like you said, they've been together for years, and she seems to be an intelligent woman who has her shit together, etc)? Just because his conservative political support is against it he allows this BS to be spouted about his family? It just makes me want to smack Cheney HARD and call him a weaselly hypocrite to his face!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    What makes me mad whenever this relationship is brought up is Cheney's hypocrisy--he won't say anything one way or another. What the hell kind of father won't stand up and say I'm proud of my gay daughter, when there is much to be proud of (like you said, they've been together for years, and she seems to be an intelligent woman who has her shit together, etc)? Just because his conservative political support is against it he allows this BS to be spouted about his family? It just makes me want to smack Cheney HARD and call him a weaselly hypocrite to his face!
    omg *applause* so brilliantly said! Exactly! the hypocrisy is appalling!! Someone who really believes in family values would totally stand up for their kid and support them instead of doing the opposite which sadly often leads to a struggling gay child's depression, confusion, diminished self-esteem, and/or sometimes suicide! Cheney's a dick.

Mary Cheney was an aide to her father during the 2004 campaign
    I find it strange she reconciles supporting her father's campaign and politics with him being against her having the same rights as straight couples.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

To Janice Crouse ...FUCK YOU YA GODDAMN BITCH!!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

"Unless they move to a handful of less restrictive states, Heather will never be able to have a legal relationship with her child,"
    This is the part that makes me especially angry. It is disgusting and reprehensible that someone in her position would not have the same rights as a man in her position.

"Love can't replace a mother and a father."
    This statement is so profoundly ridiculous that it is offensive. Are all heterosexual mothers and all heterosexual fathers good, or even adequate, parents? The variety of genitalia is what constitutes a good home?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I find it strange she reconciles supporting her father's campaign and politics with him being against her having the same rights as straight couples.
    This boggles my mind enormously too. Anyone have any ideas about this? Haven't gay activist groups/publications criticized her for that? Is she still involved politically with anything regarding her father? I can't imagine why, but still.

Oh good, so the hippo and her river leech cow girlfriend can pop out a kid and raise another potentially self loathing fag trying to destroy his own kind.

Brilliant.

Could someone please lock them in a garage with the car running? Thanks so much.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Dan Savage (I love you Dan!) weighs in on the news:

"Speaking of messy homos, it feels strange to rush to the defense of Mary Cheney, the useless dyke daughter of our malevolent vice president. But I knew I had to speak up after Janice Crouse of Concerned Women For America called Cheney's pregnancy "unconscionable." A few thoughts for you, Janice:

First, because Christianists like you can't come out and say they oppose Cheney's pregnancy because it says right there in Leviticus that Mary Cheney should be put to death (along with all adulterers, rebellious slaves, and lobstermen), they're condemning Cheney for creating a "fatherless" child, a child that will have no masculine role models. Have you gotten a good look at Heather Poe, Mary Cheney's partner of 15 years? My son has two fathers, but Heather Poe's left labial lip is butcher than both of us put together. Even if Mary and Heather planned on raising their child on a deserted island somewhere, their kid wouldn't want for masculine role models. And if things get too girly at Mary and Heather's place, Grandpa Dick can always take the kid hunting.

Second, fathers are great—my son couldn't agree more, Janice. And guess what? A lesbian couple can't have a child without one. For all we know, Mary and Heather, like so many other lesbian couples, used a known gay male sperm donor—Ken Mehlman? Mark Foley? Ted Haggard?—and this kid is going to have a father in his life.

Third,Concerned Women For America doesn't think Mary Cheney should have a baby. Great, fine, whatever. But Mary Cheney's uterus belongs to Mary Cheney, Janice, and she can do whatever the fuck she likes with it. She can have babies with it or keep her car keys in it or fill it up with potting soil and plant tulips in it. It's her fucking uterus, Janice, not yours. And if you keep inserting yourself into it, people are gonna think you're a dyke too, or Heather Poe is going to show up on your doorstep and beat the holy living hell out of you.

Fourth, Concerned Women For America and the Christian Coalition and Mitt Romney and Pat Robertson have all made it clear that they think it's wrong for lesbians to have children. Would someone in the media please ask them the obvious follow-up question: How the fuck do they propose to stop lesbians from having children? Post two members of the National Guard at the entrance to every lesbian vagina in the country? Forced sterilizations at women's music festivals? Mandatory abortions for every lesbian who does manage to get herself pregnant?

Fifth, up in Canada—sane, sane Canada—a bill to reopen, and possibly reverse, the decision to legalize gay marriage failed by a wide margin in Parliament Thursday, December 7."

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/56474

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information