Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning from multiple abortions

Question Learning from multiple abortions

Learning from multiple abortions
    Repeat abortion is a thorny issue in the choice debate. Antiabortion activists sometimes suggest that women who get abortions do so cavalierly and repeatedly, using abortion as a form of birth control. Perhaps as a consequence, the prospect of multiple abortions can carry some stigma even in pro-choice circles. Last year in the New Republic, Garance Franke-Ruta reported that when "asked about repeat abortions, a spokesman for NARAL Pro-Choice America declined several requests for comment." In the same piece, one of Franke-Ruta's interview subjects admitted, "I rarely talk about [my] second abortion because of society's judgments about women who have a second abortion ... It's like, 'Oh, you're allowed one mistake.'"

But turning away from the reality of repeat abortions may create more problems than it solves. Liberal message-makers would probably have an easier time if repeat abortions were rare, but the truth is, they're not: According to a report (PDF) released last week by the Guttmacher Institute, which we found thanks to a flare from the Kaiser Foundation, about half of the women who terminated pregnancies in 2002 had previously had at least one abortion. (The report notes that because many women do not accurately report their abortion experiences, these findings are "exploratory.") Rates of repeat abortion have been on the rise since Roe v. Wade, and ignoring that fact isn't doing women who need multiple procedures any favors.

Dodging the repeat-abortion issue also means passing up some valuable lessons. First, there's the virtual no-brainer that women who have multiple abortions generally don't do so cavalierly or in place of birth control. Kaiser summarizes, "Most women seeking abortions in 2002 were low-income ... 60 percent had at least one child. In addition, the report found that most women who had more than one abortion were over age 30 and that most women who had an abortion in 2002 were using contraception at the time of conception." So much for the decadent, irresponsible nymphets caricatured in conservative abortion lore (though, to be clear, irresponsible nymphets have just as much right to abortion on demand as responsible, low-income moms).

The Guttmacher report also highlights the fact that our country's abortion and contraception policies are working at cross-purposes. Kaiser notes that "some states -- including Colorado, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania -- will not appropriate funds for family planning services to clinics that have a relationship with abortion providers. In addition, federally funded Title X family planning programs must separate family planning services from abortion-related services." At the time of the report's release, Guttmacher president and CEO Sharon Camp issued a statement slamming the feds: "The 'wall of separation' that the federal government has erected between family planning and abortion services is, paradoxically, leading to more abortions," she said. "These policies interfere with the ability of abortion providers to ensure continuity of care for their patients by guaranteeing that, following an abortion, every woman has an appropriate contraceptive method and is able to use it consistently."

I'm not incredibly optimistic that choice advocates will take these talking points and run with them, since the abortion debate is still largely dominated by proselytizing right-wingers. Here's hoping I'm wrong, though -- many Americans could use a reminder that the key to lowering the abortion rate is preventing unintended pregnancies.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/
    Welll.. how interesting..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

yeah there are lots of dumb, or ignorant, or irresponsible or (insert adjective here) women out there that don't think twice before getting an abortion, and lots of woment that didn't intend to get pregnant again and did by accident... my point is, none of this changes my view on abortion. and maybe even more so because if these women really are that irresponsible, i'd rather they keep getting abortions than have children they'd do a lousy job of raising.
    which doesn't mean i don't also think that people need to be informed and that these pregnancies need to be prevented in the first place. but there is never any valid reason to take away that right, regardless of these women's behaviour.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well that's the thing.. the religious wackos want to get rid of abortion, and then want to do away with sexual education... that'll just result in more frigging pregnancies, backalley abortions, deaths, unwanted kids..

I mean, it's pretty simple math.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah there are lots of dumb, or ignorant, or irresponsible or (insert adjective here) women out there that don't think twice before getting an abortion, and lots of woment that didn't intend to get pregnant again and did by accident... my point is, none of this changes my view on abortion. and maybe even more so because if these women really are that irresponsible, i'd rather they keep getting abortions than have children they'd do a lousy job of raising.
    which doesn't mean i don't also think that people need to be informed and that these pregnancies need to be prevented in the first place. but there is never any valid reason to take away that right, regardless of these women's behaviour.
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES! (YOU'RE RIGHT)

-AND if you're not a woman; then imo you don't have a right to this debate.

except Grimm; cause he's pro-woman

Well, I'm more anti-stupidity than anything

You got some freako women trying to take your gender-rights away.. *coughDelphiniumcough*

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

and anti-breeder double but who's counting!?

Bronze Member

I get very heated when I think about the abortion issue. I am young and by the time I was 21 I had 4 pregnancies and I have 3 living children.(miscarriage) I am married and extremely fertile, when I realized that I was done having kids I stopped getting pregnant! Point blank! If I can do it than so can others, that is the part that bothers me. But I would never take away the right for a woman to have one at all. Sorry for the ramble!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") I'm just helping MissKat help bunny take over the world!

im not understanding...

you can turn your uterus on and off?

That's funny. Maybe after 4 pregnancies you have more awareness to what you are doing? I have no idea.

Everyone situation is different. Everyone should have the right to do what's best for their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    im not understanding...

you can turn your uterus on and off?
    Yes you can get your tubes tied or the man can get a vasectomy. Abortion isn't the only way to prevent pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    Yes you can get your tubes tied or the man can get a vasectomy. Abortion isn't the only way to prevent pregnancies.
    There are a lot of complications that can happen with hysterectomies, and vasectomies aren't 100% effective. There's a 0.1-0.15% chance of impregnanting someone even with a vasectomy.

I hate to sound repetitive, but I don't understand why more people don't use birth control. I would much rather be on the Pill or some other form of birth control than go through the stress of an abortion. I totally believe that abortion should be legal, but women who use it as a form of birth control irk me.

I worked at an abortion clinic for a few years as a recovery room nurse. We'd get a few repeat clients, but a lot were first-timers, married, on birth control and doing everything right. Many of them said they just could'nt afford another child or their s/o did'nt want it. It was an emotionally charged environment. I would leave some days crying because of how sad these women were about the choice they had to make.

And don't even get me started on the nutcase protesters outside. They'd make bomb threats, call the women murderers as they were walking in and even throw things at them. Assholes. Like it was'nt hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fahQ View Post
    I worked at an abortion clinic for a few years as a recovery room nurse. We'd get a few repeat clients, but a lot were first-timers, married, on birth control and doing everything right. Many of them said they just could'nt afford another child or their s/o did'nt want it. It was an emotionally charged environment. I would leave some days crying because of how sad these women were about the choice they had to make.

And don't even get me started on the nutcase protesters outside. They'd make bomb threats, call the women murderers as they were walking in and even throw things at them. Assholes. Like it was'nt hard enough.
    Thank you for that post. It seems like many people tend to believe that women who get abortions are too stupid or careless to use birthcontrol properly. As far as I know, that's not right at all.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information