Thread: Surprise! Sen. Joe Lieberman won't rule out switching to Republicans

Thumbs down Surprise! Sen. Joe Lieberman won't rule out switching to Republicans

HARTFORD, Conn. --Sen. Joe Lieberman on Sunday repeated his pledge to caucus with Senate Democrats when the 110th Congress convenes in January, but refused to slam the door on possibly moving to the Republican side of the aisle.

Asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" if he might follow the example of Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont, who left the Republicans in 2001 and became an independent, ending Republican control of the U.S. Senate, Lieberman refused to discount the possibility.

"I'm not ruling it out but I hope I don't get to that point," he said. "And I must say -- and with all respect to the Republicans who supported me in Connecticut -- nobody ever said, 'We're doing this because we want you to switch over. We want you to do what you think is right and good for our state and country,' and I appreciate that."

A spokeswoman for Lieberman would not elaborate when contacted by The Associated Press.

Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont defeated Lieberman in the Democratic primary in August. Lieberman was elected to a fourth term last Tuesday as an independent, and said Sunday his political affiliation will be as an "Independent Democrat."

The Democrats won control of the Senate with 51 seats. Lieberman and newly elected Bernie Sanders of Vermont are the Senate's only Independents.

A switch to the Republicans would bring the Senate to a 50-50 division, giving Republican Vice President Dick Cheney opportunities to break tie votes.

Jeffords' decision to quit the GOP and become an independent tipped the balance of an evenly divided Senate, handing control to the Democrats with a one-vote margin.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...ching_parties/
    I knew it. the stupid shit. I hope he keels over before he can fuck everyone over.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Why the hell can't he make up his mind?

Because he's a disgusting opportunist
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think if you run as an independent, you stay an independent throughout your term. If you don't then you are outta there. I feel the voters are manipulated by doing this.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I say good riddance to bad rubbish. He's been a repug in all but name for a long time now.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    I think if you run as an independent, you stay an independent throughout your term. If you don't then you are outta there. I feel the voters are manipulated by doing this.
    Independents to me never meant much anyway. They never acted like a 3rd party, more of an extension of the 2 major parties.

Lieberman was always a repuke in Dems clothing, he just used the "Independent" loophole to come out as a repuke.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQueen View Post
    I think if you run as an independent, you stay an independent throughout your term.
    Agreed. I can't believe he won. I thought his ass was finally gone when he failed to get the nomination.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I just wish we'd move on a bit from the two party system. I'm starting to see the benefits of more choice and coalition governments...Italy excepted, of course.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information