Thread: Senator Lincoln Chafee (RI) may leave repugs

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Senator Lincoln Chafee (RI) may leave repugs

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Two days after losing a bid for a second term, Sen. Lincoln Chafee said he was unsure whether he would remain a Republican.

Chafee lost to Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse in a race seen as a referendum on President Bush and the GOP. On Thursday, he was asked whether he would stick with the Republican Party or become an independent or Democrat.

“I haven’t made any decisions. I just haven’t even thought about where my place is,” Chafee said at a news conference. When pressed on whether his comments indicated he might leave the GOP, he replied: “That’s fair.”

Story continues below ↓
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chafee, 53, is a lifelong Republican who has represented Rhode Island for seven years. His father held the same seat for 23 years before that.

He is the most liberal Republican in the Senate and was the sole Senate Republican to vote against the war in Iraq. But that was not enough to prevail against Whitehouse, who shared many of Chafee’s views but was a Democrat in a heavily Democratic state.

Chafee said he has not decided what to do after leaving office, but he hoped to stay involved in public life. He said his loss may have helped the country by switching control of Congress.

“The people have spoken all across America. They want the Democrats and Republicans to work together,” he said. “I think the president now is going to have to talk to the Democrats. I think that’s going to be good for America.”

Chafee said he waged a lonely campaign to bring the party to the middle. He described attending weekly lunches with fellow GOP senators and standing up to argue his point of view, often alone.

“There were times walking into my caucus room where it wasn’t fun,” he said, adding that he stayed with the GOP largely because it helped him bring federal dollars home to Rhode Island.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15651273/
    First the Vermont dude and now this guy. Looks like th repugs are driving away the best of the lot.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm in RI and I had a really hard time deciding who to vote for, considering that Chaffee is socially very liberal, did not vote for the use of force in Iraq unlike Hilary Clinton and John Kerry, and he even refused to vote for Dubya in the 2004 election and instead wrote in the name of his father. In the end though, he's a casualty of the neo-conservatives and really got screwed over by his own party as he's been serving in RI for a very long time and had been a very well respected senator here, like his father was before him. I voted for his opponent because I thought it was more important for the democrats to contol of congress.

Where in RI, somerset? My mom grew up there.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^Providence. I'm lucky though because I came after the city had it's big "renaissance." How about your mom?

Gold Member

Chafee was a good Senator, it was a shame he was another casualty of Bush's war. He was ridiculed by his own party and called a RINO, he should have switched to Dem long ago.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

^^Providence. I'm lucky though because I came after the city had it's big "renaissance." How about your mom?
    She grew up just outside Providence...waaaaaay before renaissance. I haven't been back there in years and years but hear it's a great city these days. How are the mob problems?

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information