Thread: David Letterman destroys FOX 'news' Bill O'Reilly

Talking David Letterman destroys FOX 'news' Bill O'Reilly

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bill O'Reilly walked out for his appearance on David Letterman's "Late Show" with a plastic shield. He could have used it.

"That's cute, that's nice," Letterman said on Friday night's show. "You come out with toys."

Letterman and the Fox News Channel talk show host renewed their prickly confrontation from January, when Letterman told him "I have the feeling about 60 percent of what you say is crap."

Before O'Reilly even came out, Letterman made his feelings clear.

"I'm secretly hoping when Bill O'Reilly comes out here, I'll have the opportunity to call him a bonehead," Letterman said.

They discussed the Iraq war and the upcoming midterm election, with O'Reilly saying that Americans are depressed by the progress of the Iraq War, and that they'd rather watch escapist entertainment like "Dancing with the Stars" than the news.

He asked Letterman: "Are you going to be on 'Dancing with the Stars'?"

"Ha ha," Letterman said. "You bonehead."

Letterman said that like many Americans, he was so angered in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks that he wanted to strike out, and didn't oppose the Iraq War at its beginning. As time has gone on, he said he has realized that was wrong.

Asked by O'Reilly whether he wanted the Americans to win the war, Letterman said he wanted a solution that would result in the least loss of American lives.

As part of their confrontation, O'Reilly said Letterman was guilty of oversimplifying a complicated situation.

"You're putting words in my mouth just like you put artificial facts in your head" Letterman responded.

O'Reilly didn't get angry with Letterman during his appearance, although at one point he told an apparent heckler in the audience to "knock it off." He told the audience that he and Letterman were really friends. "This whole thing is a big act," he said.

Letterman never agreed with him.

"I have no idea what I'm talking about," Letterman said. "But I don't think you do, either."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html
    HAHAHAH you should watch this on youtube if you find it.. funny as fuck
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Anybody who is the show host has the upper hand. Your audience is presumed to already like you, so if you have a guest you oppose it's easy for you to have the viewing audience on your side. Same thing when O'Reilly has a guest he wants to interview. However, I don't feel it's much of an accomplishment and I always think it's rude to invite someone on your program just to be nasty to them. Sort of like big game hunters in Texas who brag about shooting lions brought to them in cages.....

As far as I know, that wasn't the intent.. but O'Reilly (doing his usual douchebag stint) tried to do what he does to HIs guests.. basically put words in their mouths, lie and twist everything to make his opponent into something he's not. Letterman called him on it, and good for him. The guy is a douche.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wow. On a personal level, I like what he did, but it's a little odd for Dave to ambush a guest like that. Maybe it wasn't an ambush, maybe Bill knew beforehand what he was getting into. Maybe Dave is just getting older & saying fuck it, I've had a good run, & I can say what I want now. Kind of like a lot of old people.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Dave had a run-in with the fake working man of Faux news a few months back (also on Youtube), so if O'Reilly came back, he knew what he was in for. Dave basically called him a liar last time, saying that 6 5percent of what he spouted was utter bullshit. And he's right. I'm happy to see anyone take on the blowhard that is O'Reilly. He's one person I'm happy to see suffer.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

damn...I thought by destroyed you meant actually ripped limb-from-limb...dammit. *skulks away*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah I saw it; it was pretty awesome to see the usually laid-back Letterman take a stand and shove the truth in that turds face! Go David!!

Thread Information