Thread: GOP radio ad plays jungle drums during mention of black opponent

Thumbs down GOP radio ad plays jungle drums during mention of black opponent

Okay, so Election Central has just obtained a radio ad which you've got to hear: It actually has what sounds like tom-tom drums playing in the background every time the ad talks about Dem Harold Ford, Jr. The ad -- which says it was paid for by the campaign of GOP Senate candidate Bob Corker -- can be heard right here. When the ad mentions Corker, the music soars and no tom-toms are audible. Throughout the entire minute-long ad, you hear the rumble of tom-toms every time Ford is mentioned. This ad, keep in mind, quotes Bob Corker himself as having "approved" the message -- meaning it wasn't the work of the Republican National Committee, as in the case of the recent "bimbo" TV ad which drew charges of racism. More after the jump.

We got a copy of the ad from a producer from WGOW radio in Chatanooga. Bill Lockhart, the program director for WGOW, confirmed the authenticity of the ad and that it's running on the station. "They're freaking jungle-drums," Lockhart tells us. "It's racist -- it tries to conjure up deep, dark African moods. Yeah, it's overtly racial."

It's pretty interesting that this ad is running, wouldn't you say? After all, Corker disavowed the similar tactics in the recent "bimbo" ad which stirred controversy and charges of racism. The bimbo ad, which featured an actress playing what used to be called a "floozy." As you surely know by now, she claimed to she'd met Ford at a "Playboy" party and asked Ford to "call me." For some reason, people got the idea that it was supposed to be playing on fears of interracial sex, and they got very upset about it. Corker himself has called on local stations not to run the bimbo TV spot, saying that it "went too far."

But the RNC has been unapologic about the ad, and it's continued to run.

Now -- despite Corker's disavowal of the racially-questionable tactics in the bimbo spot -- we get this new spot with the tom-toms. Apparently this one doesn't go "too far" for Corker at all.

We contacted WGOW radio to ask about the ad after reader C.C. wrote in telling us that he'd overheard two local talk show hosts discussing the ad:

This morning about 6:45 I'm getting ready for work and have the radio tuned to the local mega talk station. The hosts are talking about the heat that the Corker/RNC ads are picking up, but are pretty neutral on them themselves, suggesting that the ruckus--and the suggestions of racism--are overblown. They're going through some callers, when one says, "That's nothing. Have you heard the jungle drums on the radio ad?"...

So they play it, and, sure enough, the caller's right. Soaring music underneath the copy when discussing Corker's merits, jungle-like drumming when cutting to Ford's demerits. The hosts were stone-silent when it finished, until one whistled, and said, "Damn." They both agreed that the drumming--and the intent--was obvious.

The talk show hosts, apparently, did think the ad may have gone just a bit too far. The Corker campaign didn't immediately return a call for comment.

You can listen to the ad right here.

http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/b...ntions_of_ford
    What, Republicans being racists? Whynot, they're already bigots, fascists, and hypocrits. What's left?

How can ANYBODY vote for a party this hateful? If you do... seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? You want to be associated with this? Because if you're a Republican, you are.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

WHAT THE FUCK OMG I WANT TO HURT SOMEBODY. That is SO FUCKING blatantly racist! WHY ISN'T THIS A BIGGER DEAL! OMFG. And they wonder why there's such a high proportion of blacks who vote Democratic!

The RNC isn't retracting it... that means the entire party is culpable in racist ideology.

How's Bush looking now, conservatives? Eh? Still support him? Still think he and his freaks are sent by God?

Buncha retards.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

How can ANYBODY vote for a party this hateful? If you do... seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?
    yeah thats a damn good question. *shakes head and raises fist to the sky*

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The RNC isn't retracting it... that means the entire party is culpable in racist ideology.

How's Bush looking now, conservatives? Eh? Still support him? Still think he and his freaks are sent by God?

Buncha retards.
    I was on another site last night, and someone actually posted that they believed that Bush was "God's chosen president". WHAT?!?

Being from Tennessee, I can tell you that the race is very close. I hadn't heard the radio ad with the drums. But I did see the TV ad with the model telling Ford to "call her". It's ridiculous. I don't understand who takes crap like that seriously. Yet, there are people here who still support Corker. Not because he's the best candidate, but because he's Republican. I've never understood that.
    Last edited by AKAMissy; October 30th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Never trust a big butt and a smile...

Thread Information