Thread: Bush says Iraq 'worth it' and US 'winning'; Hans Blix says Iraq a "complete failure"

Talking Bush says Iraq 'worth it' and US 'winning'; Hans Blix says Iraq a "complete failure"

WASHINGTON—With mid-term elections looming, U.S. President George W. Bush tried yesterday to persuade disgruntled Americans that Iraq is worth the spiking death toll and said he'll consider any new plan to help win the war.

"I know many Americans are not satisfied with the situation. I'm not satisfied either," Bush said.

"We're making it clear that America's patience is not unlimited. (But) we will not put more pressure on the Iraqi government than it can bear."

And while Bush has dropped his "stay the course" phrase, he insisted he won't cut and run.

"We're winning and we will win, unless we leave before the job is done," he told a White House news conference.

His comments came on the day former UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix called the invasion of Iraq "pure failure."

Blix had tried to persuade Bush to allow inspectors to continue their work instead of invading in March 2003.

"If the Americans pull out, there is a risk that they will leave a country in civil war," he told the Danish newspaper Politiken.

"At the same time, it doesn't seem that the United States can help to stabilize the situation by staying there."

Bush's latest appeal to Americans followed a time frame unveiled this week by the top U.S. commander in Iraq. Gen. George Casey said Iraqi forces should be able to take full control of security over the next 12 to 18 months with "some level" of U.S. support.

Casey, who told reporters on Tuesday that troop increases in Baghdad were an option, issued a "clarification" yesterday noting he'd made no request "to date" for more American soldiers to protect the capital's streets from insurgents and death squads.

"The general was merely saying ... that all options are on the table," a statement said. "He will ask for what is needed. He has made no such request to date."

Ninety-three U.S. soldiers have been killed this month in Iraq, the deadliest stretch in a year. Surveys suggest two-thirds of Americans object to the war and even some Republicans anxious to be re-elected Nov. 7 have said there should be a radical change in tactics.

Meanwhile, an angry Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki disavowed a joint U.S.-Iraqi raid in Baghdad's Sadr City slum yesterday, and criticized the Americans for insisting his government needs to set a timetable to curb violence. Al-Maliki spoke a day after U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad said Iraqi leaders had agreed to set deadlines by year's end for achieving specific political and security goals laid out by the U.S., including reining in militia groups.

"I affirm that this government represents the will of the people and no one has the right to impose a timetable on it," al-Maliki said yesterday. He dismissed U.S. talk of timelines as driven by the coming elections.

Al-Maliki complained he was not consulted beforehand about the offensive on Sadr City, a densely populated slum that's home to 2.5 million Shiites and under the control of anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's Mahdi Army. The raid was aimed at capturing a top militia commander wanted for running a Shiite death squad.

"We will ask for clarification to what has happened," al-Maliki said. "We will review this issue with the multinational forces so that it will not be repeated."
    '
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968350060724
    Oh no, Hans Brix! Oh herro Hans!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

hahahaha...that was funny in the movie but I actually like Hans Blix. He's a cool guy.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information