Thread: Civil rights lawyer jailed on terror charges

Default Civil rights lawyer jailed on terror charges

Civil rights lawyer jailed on terror charges
    Attorney helped sheik who wanted to blow up New York City landmarks

BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 40 minutes ago
    NEW YORK - Civil rights lawyer Lynne Stewart was sentenced Monday to 28 months in prison on a terrorism charge for helping a client, a blind sheik who plotted to blow up New York City landmarks, communicate with his followers.

Stewart, 67, could have faced up to 30 years in prison.

She smiled as the judge announced his decision to send her to prison for less than 2½ years.

“If you send her to prison, she’s going to die. It’s as simple as that,” defense lawyer Elizabeth Fink had told the judge before the sentence was pronounced.

In a pre-sentence document, prosecutors told U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl that Stewart’s “egregious, flagrant abuse of her profession, abuse that amounted to material support to a terrorist group, deserves to be severely punished.”

Stewart, who represented Abdel-Rahman at his 1995 trial, was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, and her sentencing was delayed while she underwent treatment.

In a letter to the judge, she asked for mercy.

“The government’s characterization of me and what occurred is inaccurate and untrue,” she wrote. “It takes unfair advantage of the climate of urgency and hysteria that followed 9/11 and that was re-lived during the trial. I did not intentionally enter into any plot or conspiracy to aid a terrorist organization.”

Koeltl already has upheld Stewart’s 2005 conviction, rejecting Stewart’s claim that Abdel-Rahman was engaging in protected speech when he expressed his opinion about a cease-fire by Islamic militants in Egypt that Stewart passed along in a 2000 press release.

'Draconian, inhumane'
    Prosecutors agreed with a U.S. Probation Department pre-sentencing report that recommended Stewart serve the maximum possible sentence of 30 years.

Lawyer Elizabeth Fink wrote to the judge on Stewart’s behalf, calling the government’s position “draconian, inhumane and ludicrous.”

Stewart was arrested six months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, along with Mohamed Yousry, an Arabic interpreter, and Ahmed Abdel Sattar, a U.S. postal worker. The two men also were to receive their sentences Monday.

Yousry and Stewart, both convicted of providing material support to terrorists, were facing up to 30 years in prison. Sattar, convicted of conspiracy to kill and kidnap people in a foreign country, could face life in prison.

In addition to the material support conviction, Stewart was also convicted of defrauding the government and making false statements for breaking her promise to abide by government rules to keep the sheik from communicating with his followers
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13435637/
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It wouldn't shock me at all if she was totally innocent.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am not even sure I understand exactly what she was found guilty of? Allowing/being part of an information discourse between her client and others? This whole thing sounds very flimsy to me.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It is completely flimsy, but typical alas of the witchhunts/smear campaigns this admin is so very, very, good at. Now if they were only so skilled at running the country...

Thread Information