Thread: Speaker Hastert's office knew about Foley page problem much earlier.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Speaker Hastert's office knew about Foley page problem much earlier.

Oct. 7, 2006 House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert's chief of staff met with disgraced former Rep. Mark Foley to discuss the time and attention Foley was giving House pages years before the speaker's office admits becoming aware of the issue, a current House staffer told ABC News.

The staffer, who asked not be identified because of the ongoing FBI and House Ethics Committee investigations, told ABC News of learning in November 2005 about an earlier meeting between Hastert Chief of Staff Scott Palmer and Foley, R-Fla.

November 2005 was around the time Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill., head of the House Page Board, and then-House Clerk Jeff Trandahl, who was administrator of the page program, met with Foley about an e-mail exchange Foley had with a former page sponsored by Rep. Rodney Alexander, R-La.

"At that time, I became aware that there was a previous meeting" between Foley and Palmer, the House staffer told ABC News.

That seems to corroborate the account of Kirk Fordham, Foley's former chief of staff, who said he had gone to Palmer to ask the speaker's office's to intervene and try to change Foley's behavior as far back as 2003.

Palmer has since said, "What Kirk Fordham said did not happen."

On Wednesday, Fordham was forced to resign as chief of staff to Rep. Thomas Reynolds, R-N.Y., who heads the effort to elect Republicans to the House in this fall's midterm elections.

Before the scandal became public, sources told ABC News, Trandahl had called Fordham several times to complain that Foley was paying too much attention to pages. Fordham said he would talk with Foley about the matter, according to the accounts.

Usually, Foley's behavior would change for a short time, only to return and Trandahl would call Fordham again, according to the sources.

After several such cycles, the sources said, Fordham and Trandahl discussed seeking the help of Hastert's office, which led to Fordham's meeting with Palmer.

Republicans had hoped Hastert's "the buck stops here" speech last Thursday would ease some of the pressure on him, but the daily drip of the Foley scandal continues to keep the focus on what Hastert and his staff knew and when they knew it.

Today, The Washington Post and The New York Times also reported claims that Palmer was aware of allegations against Foley before Hastert's office acknowledges knowing about them.

Hastert's office is now declining to talk about specifics of the scandal, citing the ongoing House Ethics Committee investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2540067&page=1
    Shall we start placing bets on how soon Hastert resigns? Or how long he'll stay in denial mode?
    Last edited by buttmunch; October 8th, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I think he'll resign too. This will get worse before it gets better....and by worse, I mean more smut, which I personally love. So bring it!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15178112/site/newsweek/

^^llink to a newsweek story on the scandal

On one night in 2002 or 2003, an allegedly inebriated Foley showed up at the pages' dorm after a 10 p.m. curfew and tried to gain entry, according to an account provided by two congressional sources, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the matter. Foley was turned away by a guard. It is not known if the pages were ever aware that Foley lurked outside their door, but word of the incident reached the House Clerk, who notified Foley's chief of staff, Kirk Fordham.""

Hahahaha..he was so horny for underage page butt he was trying to get in to their dorm drunk and after hours!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^Oh my sweet Jesus......what an asshole. Though I'm sure it was to just 'talk' or go over some work strategies right??

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

He was mentoring, Lynnie, mentoring.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information