Thread: Sweet jesus! It just got better! Top GOP staffer resigns in Foley scandal.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Sweet jesus! It just got better! Top GOP staffer resigns in Foley scandal.

Jake Tapper contributed to this report.

The chief of staff for Republican Congressman Tom Reynolds, Kirk Fordham, resigned after questions were raised about his role in the handling of the congressional page scandal, according to Republican sources on Capitol Hill.

Those sources said Fordham, a former chief of staff for Congressman Mark Foley, had urged Republican leaders last spring not to raise questionable Foley e-mails with the full Congressional Page Board, made up of two Republicans and a Democrat.

"He begged them not to tell the page board," said one of the Republican sources.

People familiar with Fordham's side of the story, however, said Fordham was being used as a scapegoat by Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.

They said Fordham had repeatedly warned Hastert's staff about Foley's "problem" with pages, but little was done.

The complaint about Foley was brought to the chairman of the page board, Congressman John Shimkus (R-IL), last spring, and he then consulted with the Clerk of the House of Representatives, Jeff Trandahl.

At Fordham's urging, according to the sources, the matter was not given to the full board, and instead Congressman Foley was privately approached and told to stop all contact with the page he had been e-mailing.

"This is something we should have been aware of, and we weren't, and I'm very unhappy about that," said Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), who also serves on the page board.

The Democrat on the page board, Congressman Dale Kildee (D-MI), said it was "unprecedented" to have handled the matter without informing the board members.

Fordham was also instrumental in orchestrating Foley's abrupt resignation last week hours after ABC News confronted the congressman with sexually explicit instant messages allegedly sent to pages.

Fordham offered ABC News a deal if it would not publish the content of the instant messages.

"He said we could have the exclusive on the resignation if we did not run direct quotes from the instant messages," said Maddy Sauer, the ABC News producer who dealt with Fordham.

ABC News refused to make any such deal.

Capitol Hill sources say Fordham's resignation was demanded by Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, whose job is on the line because of his handling of the page scandal.

Repeated phone calls to Fordham for comment have not been returned.
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...p_staffer.html

I'll paraphrase what someone wrote in response to this article, which really sums it up for me:

So, the president wants to look at everyone's email to prevent terrorism but can't manage to make sure members of his own party aren't victimizing young men who serve the government???? Are we really safer since 2001? The answer is no - certainly not from members of the ruling party preying on innocent young men. Is this what Bush meant when he said he felt his re-election was a mandate and he was going to go for it????? What a disturbing mandate.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

One down. How many more to go?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

next Reynolds, then Hastert!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

He's being made a fall guy, check it out:

Reynolds just fired his chief of staff for his role in the Foley scandal, but the details surrounding the firing suggest that Reynolds lied about his, and his chief of staff's, involvement in the page scandal.

According to ABC News, Fordham, the chief of staff, was instrumental in stopping Foley from being investigated further:

Those sources said Fordham, a former chief of staff for Congressman Mark Foley, had urged Republican leaders last spring not to raise questionable Foley e-mails with the full Congressional Page Board, made up of two Republicans and a Democrat.

"He begged them not to tell the page board," said one of the Republican sources.

First off, bull. We've been highly critical of Fordham over the past several days, but this reeks of Fordham being scapegoated for the sins of the House GOP leadership. One House staffer has more power than Denny Hastert? Than John Shimkus? You mean the entire House leadership wanted to report the scary child sex predator but a single staffer recommended otherwise, so there was nothing they could do? Excuse me? Who's in charge over there anyway?

According to ABC, Fordham says they're lying:

People familiar with Fordham's side of the story, however, said Fordham was being used as a scapegoat by Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.

They said Fordham had repeatedly warned Hastert's staff about Foley's "problem" with pages, but little was done.

The complaint about Foley was brought to the chairman of the page board, Congressman John Shimkus (R-IL), last spring, and he then consulted with the Clerk of the House of Representatives, Jeff Trandahl.

At Fordham's urging, according to the sources, the matter was not given to the full board, and instead Congressman Foley was privately approached and told to stop all contact with the page he had been e-mailing.

Yes, poor Congressman Shimkus. What was he to do. A staffer disagreed with him, so that meant his hands were tied. They have got to be kidding.

But there's a bigger problem here. Congressman Tom Reynolds (R-NY), Fordham's boss, has been denying for days that Fordham was brought into the discussions about this scandal when Reynolds found out months ago:

Reynolds deflected questions about why he never asked Fordham, who worked for Foley for 10 years, about Foley’s character, saying he had a “member to member” conversation with Alexander and he didn’t discuss other members of Congress with Fordham.

Now we know that Reynolds was lying. Fordham was involved quite intimately with the goings on - whether you believe Fordham that he was involved and urging the issue be dealt with, or if you believe Hastert et. al. that Fordham was advising Shimkus to leave Foley alone, either way Fordham was a key player, and Reynolds has been saying for days that Fordham was not.

And finally, isn't it interesting that for days the House GOP leadership has been telling us how they simply never read the emails so they never knew how bad it was. Also, they've been telling us that Foley tricked them, he was such a good liar they never realized how bad it was. But now they tell us that they were convinced Foley was trouble and they desperately wanted to tell the full Page Board but one single staffer wouldn't let them. How is it that the GOP members, at the same time, didn't realize the emails were a big deal and were duped by Foley, but also they were convinced Foley was trouble and wanted to investigate him?

www.americablog.com
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't think people are going to fall for this(no pun intended) and will continue to turn the screws until more heads pop off and roll away....
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Oh lol check it out: He's blaming the democrats!

"Like so many, I feel betrayed by Mark Foley's indefensible behavior," he said. He blamed Democrats for seeking to make a political issue of the matter in Reynolds' re-election campaign, "and I will not let them do so."
    So it's not that Foley wanted to pork 16 year old boys and was having cybersex with them during congress business hours..

its that THE DEMOCRATS ARE MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT.

Sound logic!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And of course, it was the Dems who forced GOP bigwigs to keep a lid on the whole thing, rather than report it to the oversight committee on pages, which is what protocal demands. Complete and utter bullocks and anybody who falls for this horseshit should be fixed, because we just do not want those gene pools being passed on to another helpless generation.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Why the hell shouldn't it be a campaign issue? Sounds like a campaign issue to me! Hey, if you dish it out, you better take it.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Can you imagine if this was a Dem? It would be the ONLY issue, as far as the GOP is concerned.

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information