Thread: Unbelievable: Foxnews, among other news outlets, sat on Foley story for months.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Unbelievable: Foxnews, among other news outlets, sat on Foley story for months.

Meanwhile, Florida newspapers who were leaked copies of the e-mail with the Louisiana boy last year defended their decision not to run stories. Both The St. Petersburg Times and The Miami Herald were given copies of the e-mail, as were other news organizations, including Fox News.

"Our decision at the time was ... that because the language was not sexually explicit and was subject to interpretation, from innocuous to 'sick,' as the page characterized it, to be cautious," said Tom Fiedler, executive editor of the Herald. "Given the potentially devastating impact that a false suggestion of pedophilia could have on anyone, not to mention a congressman known to be gay, and lacking any corroborating information, we chose not to do a story."

Hastert called on any person who was aware of the 2003 instant messages to speak to law enforcement authorities. He said no Republican leader in Congress was aware of those exchanges until Friday, when ABC News reported it had questioned Foley about them.

A watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said it had obtained copies of Foley's e-mails to the 16-year-old former page in late July and immediately gave them to the FBI.

"They (the e-mails) should have raised a red flag over at the FBI," said Melanie Sloan, the group's executive director and a former prosecutor specializing in sex crimes. The group on Monday asked the Justice Department's inspector general to investigate why Foley's e-mails were not pursued.

Asked about the preliminary inquiry under way at the FBI into Foley's actions, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales told reporters Monday afternoon, "We're just beginning to look at it right now. I haven't received a report."

There currently are 72 House pages, 48 selected by Republicans and 24 by Democrats, according to a recent report by the Congressional Research Service. The Senate breakdown is 30 pages, 18 chosen by Republicans and 12 by Democrats.

He said that Foley has entered an alcoholism treatment center and accepts responsibility for his actions,
    rest of the article at the link. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...an_Resigns.php

Anyone shocked Foxnews decided to sit on this story?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No surprise at all. How have they started defending and justifying it?(I am sure they are in damage control-denial-blame the other guy mode?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Shocked that Fox News didn't run this story? Nope. A bit surprised about the other news outlets though. You'd think there would be a reporter at one of those papers that got wind of this and would take and run! Sad...

Well, from what I gather, the Miami paper is a repug supporter due to Cuban issues but I get the feeling someone slipped the story to abc or even more outlets and abc is the one that ran with it. Everyone will be kicking themselves when abc wins the Pulitzer.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Well FOX has that dildo-loving Oreilly on there so what did ya expect them to do with the Foley story?

I bet that if Foely had "D" next to his name then the MSM would've had wall-to-wall coverage of him all over the news outlets. They'll let teens get sexually harrased by a republican and not do a thing about it. Pathetic.

They have a scorched earth policy when it comes to wrong-doings by the Dems but when it comes to one of thier own it's a whole 'nother story. After the way they vilified Clinton over a blow job and then this....I know I'm beating the Amish forgiveness drum but damn, I want these people to go down in flames.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Well Florida sucks; case in point: the 2000 elections.

I just found out that a blogger first broke the story (surprise!). The story appeared on September 24 on http://stopsexpredators.blogspot.com/. ABC discovered it from there four days later.

FBI knew about it in July but didn't think it merited an investigation "Federal law enforcement officials said the F.B.I. in recent months had been given e-mail messages between Mr. Foley and a page but had found insufficient grounds to open a criminal investigation. A group called Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington said Monday that it had forwarded the messages to the Federal Bureau of Investigation on July 21 and requested an investigation. The group would not say where it had obtained the messages; it made them public after the ABC report." http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/us...erland&emc=rss

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Of course not, the FBI is staffed with Bush stooges!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information