Thread: Great news! House approves warrantless wiretap bill! Hurrah!!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Angry Great news! House approves warrantless wiretap bill! Hurrah!!

WASHINGTON - The House approved a bill Thursday that would grant legal status to President Bush’s warrantless wiretapping program with new restrictions. Republicans called it a test before the election of whether Democrats want to fight or coddle terrorists.

“The Democrats’ irrational opposition to strong national security policies that help keep our nation secure should be of great concern to the American people,” Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a statement after the bill passed 232-191.

“To always have reasons why you just can’t vote ’yes,’ I think speaks volumes when it comes to which party is better able and more willing to take on the terrorists and defeat them,” Boehner said.

Democrats shot back that the war on terrorism shouldn’t be fought at the expense of civil and human rights. The bill approved by the House, they argued, gives the president too much power and leaves the law vulnerable to being overturned by a court.

“It is ceding the president’s argument that Congress doesn’t matter in this area,” said Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., that give legal status under certain conditions to Bush’s warrantless wiretapping of calls and e-mails between people on U.S. soil making calls or sending e-mails and those in other countries.

Under the measure, the president would be authorized to conduct such wiretaps if he:

Notifies the House and Senate intelligence committees and congressional leaders.
    Believes an attack is imminent and later explains the reason and names the individuals and groups involved.
    Renews his certification every 90 days.
    The Senate also could vote on a similar bill before Congress recesses at the end of the week. Leaders concede that differences between the versions are so significant they cannot reconcile them into a final bill that can be delivered to Bush before the Nov. 7 congressional elections.

For its part, the White House announced it strongly supported passage of the House version but wasn’t satisfied with it, adding that the administration “looks forward to working with Congress to strengthen the bill as it moves through the legislative process.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15051779/
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Better for us citzens to be spied on by the government than by the terrorists /sarcasm/
    Having our government treat us like common criminals is a damn shame. This 'ar on terror" is becoming more bullheaded like the "war on Drugs".

Basically, we are all suspects and tough shit if we don't like it. I cannot even believe that people haven't taken to the streets and gone mental. But half of them are brainwashed into believing this is 'for their own good'. Baaaaaaa.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No, half of them haven't been brainwashed. That would presuppose they actually have brains.

Only morons and the mentally handicapped would think this a good idea, and amazingly, they take up half your population.

I'm telling you.. your national gene pool needs a major bleaching.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

YOu'd think with the constant influx of fresh blood we'd be silly smart but nooooo...it's other countries, where people have been intermarrying with one another for god knows how long who have the good sense to collectively hate thier government. Yes, I'm talking about you, Britian!

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information