Thread: Peaceful anti-war protesters arrested

Thumbs down Peaceful anti-war protesters arrested

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two Presbyterian ministers were among 71 people arrested during a series of peaceful protests against the Iraq war Tuesday, said a spokeswoman for a group participating in the protests.

Demonstrators held sit-ins, prayer services and sing-alongs at four locations in the Capitol complex, including the central atrium of the Senate Hart Office Building.

The demonstrations were reminiscent of the Vietnam era, with protesters strumming guitars, singing peace songs, holding flowers and wearing hats made of balloons. (Watch war protesters face the music -- 1:28)

Senate staffers watched the demonstrators from their offices. Protesters said that several workers gave them a thumbs-up or other signs of approval. (Watch how the protests are part of a highly charged day in Washington -- 2:23 )

"We are trying to protest a lack of civil liberties and to try and end a war culture," said protester Alex Bryan of New York.

Thirty-three of those arrested were charged with unlawful conduct inside the Hart Building, said Sgt. Kimberly Schneider of the Capitol Police.

Thirty-eight more demonstrators were arrested at separate protests near the Capitol, she said. Of those, 23 were charged with crossing a police line and 15 were charged with demonstrating without a permit.

All of those arrested were cooperative with police, Schneider said.

The National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance, which has organized dozens of anti-war protests around the country, coordinated Tuesday's effort, which included several religious and secular groups.

Among those arrested during the demonstrations were two Presbyterian ministers, a Catholic activist and a member of a Quaker group, said Jennifer Kuiper, spokeswoman for The Declaration of Peace, one of the groups participating in the protests.

Both groups apparently expected participants to be arrested. On a notice posted at The Declaration of Peace Web site, the protests are described as an "interfaith religious procession around the Capitol, followed by peace presence and nonviolent resistance, including risking arrest at the U.S. Senate."

The National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance Web site adds, "Those willing to engage in nonviolent acts of civil resistance against the war and occupation are encouraged to join us. We also enthusiastically call upon those who cannot risk arrest, but who are willing to support those who do."

Despite a rising tide of war opposition, the protesters said they represent no party or political movement.

Baptist minister Jamie Washam of Wisconsin, who led an interfaith service during the protests, said she is adamantly opposed to the war.

"My congregation wants peace," she said. "And I think it's an offense to God."

Tuesday's events in Washington were part of 375 protests and other activities being held around the country this week in opposition to the war, according to The Declaration of Peace.

There were hundreds of arrests in a protest organized by the National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance a year ago. On September 26, 2005, 371 people were arrested during the "Resist and Remember" protest in Washington, one of the organization's founders, Gordon Clark, wrote in an online article.

Of those, 104 were arrested at the White House for refusing to leave after being denied an audience with President Bush, Clark wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/26/dc.protests/index.html
    Can't have people peacefully prostesting death, carnage and lies.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You have to have a permit to protest...? That's pretty ridiculous.

Yes, and the permit is only good in the 'free speech zone'
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The whole permit thing is so anti-AMerican. We have the right to free speech and assembly but I guess the bushies missed the memo on that. And no one seems to give a shit enough to do anything about it. But they will, when they want to protest something and the shoe is suddenly on the other foot.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Like you have any rights anymore.

Bush continues to screech his latest need to squelch rights by pushing the Senate (the House already has) to pass the pen-ultimate nail in the Human Rights coffin - the death of habeas corpus, It'll be fun when he applies these new measures to all americans because they disagree with him. And (as per CNN) in this bill he has (pre) pardoned himself for the criminality of the act .

Amazing. You have a president who has declared himself invulnerable to prosecution for any criminal acts he engages in, has done away with human rights in totality, and can detain/torture/deny legal counsel to ANYBODY (US citizens included) till the end of time..

the real kicker? he gets to decide WHAT is torture, and he gets to decide WHO is a threat.

How can anybody deny that America is now a fascist state, led by a dictator supported by a rubber stamp puppet government?

He sounds like Berlisconi in the pre-pardon area.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

More like Il Duce, or Der Führer

I'm scared. Hold me, Grimm.

--Sinclair Lewis

I'm going to have to teach you how to say 'aboot' and 'eh' for when you make your desperate dash across the border in the middle of the night.

But will you hold me while you're doing it? Don't worry, mr. butt is incredibly enlightened and wouldn't mind at all...although the ankle biters might get a bit annoyed.

--Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information