Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion Leader Says OK To Murder Babies After They're Born

Default Abortion Leader Says OK To Murder Babies After They're Born

Thursday, September 14, 2006

MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH 'Bioethicist': OK to kill babies after they're born 'Animal-rights' promoter asserts actual birth makes no difference

Posted: September 14, 2006 1:00 a.m. Eastern

2006 WorldNetDaily.com

An internationally known Princeton "bioethicist" and animal-rights activist says he'd kill disabled babies if it were in the "best interests" of the family, because he sees no distinction in the child's life whether it is born or not, and the world already allows abortion.

The comments come from Peter Singer, a controversial bioethics professor, who responded to a series of questions in the UK Independent this week.

Earlier, WND reported Singer believes the next few decades will see a massive upheaval in the concept of life and rights, with only "a rump of hard-core, know-nothing religious fundamentalists" still protecting life as sacrosanct.

To the rest, it will be a commodity to be re-evaluated regularly for its worth.

His newest sermon on his beliefs came in a question-and-answer interview the Independent set up with readers.

Singer's response came to Dublin reader Karen Meade's question: "Would you kill a disabled baby?"

"Yes, if that was in the best interests of the baby and of the family as a whole. Many people find this shocking, yet they support a woman's right to have an abortion," he said.

He added that one point on which he agrees with the pro-life movement is that, "from the point of view of ethics rather than the law, there is no sharp distinction between the foetus and the newborn baby."

The statement furthers the arguments that Singer's position is just an extension of the culture of death that has developed in the world, with euthanasia legal in some locations, abortion legal in many and even charges that in some repressive societies there's an active business in harvesting healthy organs from victims in order to provide transplants for the wealthy.

"At least he's consistent," Alex Schadenberg, executive director of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, told LifeSiteNews.com.

Singer holds that man is no different from other forms a life, and therefore man's life is not worth more than, for example, a cow.

He told readers he'd kill 10 cows before killing one human, but that's not because they are of less value, only that humans would mourn.

"I've written that it is much worse to kill a being who is aware of having a past and a future, and who plans for the future. Normal humans have such plans, but I don't think cows do," he said.

However, he did qualify his description with the word, "normal."

"Once again Singer is making distinctions between human beings he would consider normal and those he would consider not normal, thus he is deciding who is a person and who is not," Schadenberg told LifeSiteNews.

"Non-persons are allowed to be killed," under Singer's theology, he said.

Singer also said the focus on infanticide was not his, but those who oppose him and the media.

"It's always been a minor aspect of my work," he said.

oh yeah, killing babies is just a minor aspect~ Delphinium

Singer declined to answer whether he believes Steve Irwin, TV's "Crocodile Hunter," got "what he had coming," saying he never watched the television show.

Irwin died recently while filming an undersea special when he approached a stingray and was fatally stung.

But he advocated for the closure of health research centers where animals are used and said it's not at all unreasonable to ascribe human characteristics to animals.

"Anyone who ascribes rights to babies or humans with intellectual disabilities must be willing to attribute rights to beings who can't understand the concept," Singer said. "It's the moral agents, the ones who are acting, who need to understand the concept. Those to whom we attribute rights, do not need to understand these concepts."

The only moral absolute, he noted, "is that we should do what will have the best consequences for all those affected by our actions." And being murdered is the best consequence? this guy is a PIG! ~ Delphinium

In WND's earlier report, Singer said that the court-ordered circumstances that killed Terri Schiavo, a disabled Florida woman, in 2005 may be the turning point at which holding the position of the sanctity of life became "untenable."

She died after a court ordered, upon her husband's request, that water and food be withheld from her.

Singer's support for legalized euthanasia and his endorsement of killing the disabled for up to 28 days after birth also sparked protests against his hiring in 1999 by Princeton, a university founded by the Presbyterian denomination.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

This person does not speak for the rest of abortion doctors, that is like saying all conversatives are ignorant bible thumping hardcore bush supporters..but this person is just fucking sick.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

yeah, he is a whack job for sure. I had heard about him before, and now his name pops up again in the news. I definitely wouldn't want him as my doc!

Can you imagine him sitting on the ethics board of a hospital? YIKES!

Newborn babies! mmmmm mmmmm!

And the problem with this is..... ??

See, nothing comes out of people like this man saying things like this. Yes it's wrong, but I'm pretty sure the government isn't going to up and allow people to go around killing disabled babies.

Now when an religious, right-wing retard goes around saying how abortion is murder, people act on that. People listen to them. Women's rights get revoked because of it. Sometimes, the world seems so...upside-down.
    2 years...

Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick. I couldn't even read the whole thing. There are always a few bad apples in the bushel. Very few sane Pro-Choicers would say, "Yeah, let's kill this baby since he has Down's Syndrome."

Gold Member

This seemed too hysterical to be true, so I googled the guy. Peter Singer is an Australian philosopher, not an abortion leader. He's an animal rights activist who donates 1/5th of his income to famine relief agencies to help CHILDREN. And spends most of his time trying to convince people to donate all their extra cash to fight poverty . All this anger from the anti-abortion crowd seems to stem from his answers to ethical questions, he's not promoting killing disabled children.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Then perhaps his comments were taken out of context.

^^ Maybe his responses are more for "thought experiment" purposes then?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Gold Member

He may or may not believe some of this stuff but he's not an abortion leader and he's not promoting his beliefs. Sounds like they are mostly opinion. This article is just right wing spin trying to create hysteria and fear about abortion.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

I didn't even realize this was by Peter Singer. Peter Singer is a philosopher absolutely, and one of his major theories is that everybody in the developed world should give as much money as they possibly can to the developing world, because it's the ethical thing to do. I had no idea he was in on biological ethics like this.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Wow, thanks for bringing that up. I remember his name from Philosophy 101. You tickled my dormant brain cells or something.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinium View Post
    He added that one point on which he agrees with the pro-life movement is that, "from the point of view of ethics rather than the law, there is no sharp distinction between the foetus and the newborn baby."
    So I guess the fact that one can sustain life outside the womb (baby) and one can't (fetus) isn't a sharp distinction?

Either way, the guy is a moral infant himself. Apparently all the philosphy classes he had during his formative years didn't do a bit of good. He's a pig, maybe an educated pig, but still a pig.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information