Thread: John McCain willing to risk presidency over CIA jails (he thinks they're wrong)

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default John McCain willing to risk presidency over CIA jails (he thinks they're wrong)

John McCain, the Republican frontrunner for the 2008 presidential election, has dramatically raised the stakes in a fight with the White House over interrogation techniques permitted for use at secret Central Intelligence Agency prisons by saying he is unwilling to back down on the issue even if it ruins his chance of becoming president.

The Arizona senator, who was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, strongly opposes Bush administration legislation that he says would redefine US obligations under the Geneva conventions. The White House played down the escalating dispute yesterday, which mirrors a similar battle Mr McCain won last year against the administration.

“This is not a showdown at the O.K. Corral,” said Tony Snow, the White House press secretary.

But two people briefed on conversations that Mr McCain had with his staff said the senator told aides he was willing to risk the presidency, because of possible loss of support from Republican lawmakers and voters.

“His decision to take a stand on this issue is not based on a political calculation,” said Eileen McMenamin, his spokeswoman. “He believes this is the right thing to do to protect American servicemen and women, and our values.”

Just hours after a rare visit to Capitol Hill by President George W. Bush yesterday, the Senate armed services committee yesterday approved legislation being pushed by Mr McCain that the White House says would force it to shut down its secret prisons.

Mr McCain has received backing from Colin Powell, the secretary of state during the first four years of the Bush administration.

“The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis of our fight against terrorism. To redefine Common Article 3 [of the Geneva conventions] would add to those doubts. Furthermore, it would put our own troops at risk,” Mr Powell wrote in a letter to Mr McCain released yesterday.

“We are not saying the CIA cannot carry out a programme,” Mr McCain said yesterday. “We are saying it cannot amend the Geneva conventions, which calls for the kind of treatment of prisoners that fall under Common Article 3.”

Before the vote, Mr Bush vowed to “resist any bill that does not enable this [CIA] programme to go forward with legal clarity”.

The House armed services committee earlier this week easily passed legislation that more closely mirrors the White House proposal.

In a move widely perceived as an attempt to boost support for Republicans ahead of the crucial November congressional elections, Mr Bush announced last week that Khaled Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind behind the September 11 attacks, and 13 other high-value al-Qaeda detainees had been transferred from secret CIA prisons – the existence of which the administration had refused to acknowledge – to Guantánamo Bay for prosecution.

Democrats, hoping to avoid being painted as weak on national security, have stood on the sidelines so far. But the political cover provided by Republican leaders in the field such as Mr McCain and Mr Powell are likely to embolden them to join in opposing the White House proposal.

Mr Snow said that Michael Hayden, the CIA director, had concluded that under the McCain legislation, “the CIA programme would have to be shut down”.

Mr McCain criticised Mr Hayden, saying: “He’s trying to protect his reputation at the risk of America’s reputation.”
    http://www.drudgereport.com/

Imagine, a politician standing up for what's right. What will the world come to next?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Good for him. McCain is thinking not only of the political implications of "interpreting" the Geneva conventions and how it would change us in international politics, but of the impact that it will have on OUR soldiers. Once you've opened the can of worms and said that this is how *I* define this, you leave it open to others to do so as well.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

That's exactly what people don't seem to get. If we do it to others we haven't got a leg to stand on when they do it to us.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

oh FUCK RIGHT OFF.

Let me explain what this asskissing, right-wing nutjob suckup is actually doing:

...The McCain-Graham-Warner proposal concerning military commissions was, from the beginning, an awful bill that was quite radical in its own right. As but one example, the senators' proposal strips all detainees in American custody of the right of habeas corpus, meaning that detainees are denied the right to challenge in court either the validity of their detention (e.g., by proving that they are not terrorists) or the legality of their treatment (e.g., by demonstrating that they have been tortured).

This denial-of-judicial-access provision means, as Yale law professor Jack Balkin explained, that the military can imprison, and torture, a detainee forever without ever bringing the detainee before a military commission, and the detainee has no means at all to challenge his detention or the treatment to which he is subjected. It is difficult to imagine a more radical power to vest in our government than the power to detain people (including legal residents in the U.S.) forever, and to torture them, while expressly denying a detainee all legal recourse. Yet that is exactly what the McCain-Graham-Warner proposal (and the White House's proposal) provides.

But virtually no attention has been paid to this radical and wildly unjust provision, because as bad as the McCain-Graham-Warner proposal is, the president's was slightly worse. And by masquerading as the principled opponents to a handful of the most extreme provisions in the president's proposals, these "dissident Republican senators" were depicted as the moderates in the debate, as the reasonable, serious thinkers who would carefully balance the need for strong antiterrorist measures with the need to safeguard our basic liberties.

As a result, any solution that these senators ultimately blessed -- including "compromise" legislation that gives full-throated legal authority to the president's torture program -- was deemed in advance to be the moderate, balanced solution to all of our problems, a solution that only soft-on-terrorism, unserious liberal-radicals would oppose. And with those distorted premises in place, a legislative "compromise" that is unquestionably a profound departure from American law and our national principles is viewed as the "moderate" and "reasonable" outcome.

read the rest here http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/
    It's a fucking dog and pony show! That's IT!

This is the same retard who 'tried' tabling anti-torture legislation last year, only to have Bush dismiss it with a signing statement.. a little piece of paper that gives Bush the legal right NOT to obey said legislation if he feels like it.

Did McCain make a peep? Fuck no. He did his part, he reaped the PR and sat back.

This guy has also been hanging around Limbaugh, and that gasbag Jerry Falwell, and Ann fucking Coulter.

He's playing a part in a shallow drama.

Period.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I used to respect McCain, then I lost respect with his support of the war, then I supported him again with this latest issue, but if he's hanging with the neo-cons, I've lost respect yet again.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Just read what i posted. That's what's happening.

it's a dog and pony show. he's trying to make himself look good for a presidential run.

a month ago he was chillin with Falwell, sucking up to the religious Reich.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information