View Poll Results: Is President Trump

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) the greatest president in the history of the US, folks!

2 6.45%
  • b) definitely in the top 45

29 93.55%
Page 1 of 209 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree5928Likes

Thread: Cult 45 The politics catch-all thread

Default Cult 45 The politics catch-all thread

Brookie and Kittylady like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Source: The Daily Dot

Russian trolls on Twitter pose as ex-Democrats for #WalkAway movement

David Gilmour
    July 9 at 5:57PM

The Unsilent Minority/YouTube

Data suggests Kremlin-affiliated Twitter accounts are boosting the hashtag.

Kremlin-affiliated trolls have subversively co-opted #WalkAway as an influence campaign, data appears to show. The hashtag is boosting visibility for a right-wing-hyped non-movement of disenchanted liberals who are supposedly abandoning the Democratic Party in a bid to breed division.

Data available through Hamilton 68, an analysis project focused on monitoring agitprop and backed by the Alliance for Securing Democracy, shows that swarms of Russian troll accounts made #WalkAway one of the highest ranking hashtags on Twitter in the past 48 hours.

One writer for Arc Digital noticed similar trends and came to the same conclusion.

“The primary functional goal of an astroturfed campaign like this one is to manipulate public opinion by gaming online algorithms to amplify certain content and push it onto people’s social media feeds and to the top of search engine results,” wrote behavioral scientist Caroline Orr.

The #WalkAway hashtag itself can be sourced back to a YouTube video posted in May by New York-based hairdresser Brandon Straka. In the video, Straka explains how he had grown disillusioned by liberalism and the Democratic Party which, he argued, merely used people of color and LGBTQ people but did little to advance their agenda. He then calls on others who feel the same to #WalkAway from the Democratic Party—thus launching the campaign.

Little had come of it until last week, when right-wing media outlets and leading conservatives discovered the video and began circulating it online.

Coverage by websites like the Gateway Pundit and Breitbart hailed the news as a watershed moment, claiming that liberals were abandoning their party “in droves.”

The Daily Dot reported on how, even at that early stage and among the dozens of real ex-Democrats telling their stories, bot Twitter accounts were already beginning to exploit the rising conversation. One collected 16,000 retweets before being banned.

Sarah Lertzman‏ @sllertzman

Replying to @sofialimited
    This is a fake/bot account trying to make #WalkAway happen. 16k RTs for "Sofia Vargoros," a bot with a profile pic stolen from -- I am not kidding -- a book about getting rich from penny stocks.

1:32 PM - 1 Jul 2018

The U.S. intelligence community has, of course, made clear its assessment that Russia had sought to “undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process” during the 2016 presidential election. In February, special counsel Robert Mueller in a series of indictments laid out at least part of the framework by which the Kremlin had sought to do that.

Mueller brought charges against Russian nationals and troll farm the Internet Research Agency, which employed hundreds of individuals in a complex operation that involved the creation of thousands of fake personas to “conduct information warfare against the United States.”

These are the same kind of bot networks that Hamilton 68 has repeatedly found to be commandeering or simply amplifying highly partisan social media campaigns, like #ReleaseTheMemo or #WalkAway, in a bid to disrupt and suppress any Democratic momentum.

As the nation prepares for the 2018 midterms elections, and Democrats tout a surge of support coined the “blue wave,” these influence operations are likely to become more and more common.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

Love the new thread title!

What is this, our third or fourth thread? Ugh. Can't wait until we no longer have to speak his name. Ever.

When they introduced him the other night for the SCOTUS announcement, it made me sick. I will never get used to hearing President Donald Trump. I still feel like someone is pranking us.

It's like we are literally in an episode of The Twilight Zone. And it feels like it's never going to end.

Source: Newsweek

Russia Will Try to Interfere in 2018 Midterms, U.S. Intelligence Agencies Say

By John Haltiwanger On 2/13/18 at 2:24 PM
    The Director Of National Intelligence Says The United States Is Under Cyber Attack

Russia plans to interfere in the 2018 midterms as part of its larger effort to ramp up cyber operations against the U.S. and its allies, U.S. intelligence agencies said Tuesday.

“In the next year, Russian intelligence and security services will continue to probe U.S. and allied critical infrastructures, as well as target the United States, NATO and allies for insights into U.S. policy. The 2018 U.S. midterm elections are a potential target for Russian influence operations,” 2018’s global threat assessment stated, AP reported.

National Intelligence Director Dan Coats told AP that Russia “stepped up their game with cyber” in 2016, seemingly referring to the Kremlin’s interference in the presidential election. Recent statements from the CIA, FBI and State Department show there’s broad agreement that Russia will continue to target U.S. elections.

“We think it’s very likely because we don’t see a letup in efforts to do this. Cyber has been a game changer in many, many ways,” Coats said. "“The United States is under attack — now.”

In addition to Russia, the report pointed to China, Iran and North Korea as top cyber threats.
    U.S. Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats prepares to deliver remarks, arguing for the renewal of Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act at the Heritage Foundation, in Washington, D.C., on October 13, 2017. Russia plans to interfere in the 2018 midterms as part of its larger effort to ramp up cyber operations against the U.S. and its allies, U.S. intelligence agencies said Tuesday. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    On Tuesday, while speaking before the Senate intelligence committee during a hearing on global threats, Coats said the risk of interstate conflict has reached historic heights. “The risk of interstate conflict, including among great powers, is higher than at any time since the end of the Cold War,” Coats warned.

“The most immediate threats of regional interstate conflict in the next year come from North Korea and from Saudi-Iranian use of proxies in their rivalry,” Coats added. “At the same time, the threat of state and nonstate use of weapons of mass destruction will continue to grow.”

This comes not long after the Pentagon cited competing with China and Russia’s expanding militaries as its top priority moving forward––even over thwarting terrorism.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Golly Newsweek, way to go out on a limb with that stellar reporting! It doesn't seem to help much that their prime agent is living in our White House.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Love the new thread title!
    Thanks! I have fun with the poll questions even if the subject matter is a bit grim.
    witchcurlgirl, tulip and Nevan like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't he just hurry up and have a stroke?
    MsDark likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Thanks! I have fun with the poll questions even if the subject matter is a bit grim.
    We have to take our fun where we can get it these days!

From Kaitlan Collins on Twitter...

And we're off. Within minutes of his first event of the day, President Trump is going off about defense spending, singling out Germany and claiming they are totally controlled by Russia. John Kelly looks around the room and takes a long drink of water.

Trump is arguing that Germany is controlled by Russia because of the gas pipeline.

"“Germany is totally controlled by Russia … They will be getting between 60 and 70 percent of their energy from Russia and a new pipeline, and you tell me if that is appropriate because I think it's not,” Trump said, before criticizing Berlin's failure to significantly increase defense spending.

Trump was speaking at a press conference Wednesday morning in front of NATO representatives ahead of a two-day summit.

“I think it is a very bad thing for NATO and I don’t think it should have happened and I think we have to talk to Germany about it. On top of that, Germany is just paying a little bit over 1 percent (on defense) … And I think that is inappropriate also,” he added."

Full article can be found here:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/11/...mpression=true
    Last edited by ShimmeringGlow; July 11th, 2018 at 05:22 AM.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ Yeah and this is the same man who has just slagged off Britain and said Putin is the only one he can see himself being able to work with... I nearly choked when I saw the clip on the news last night.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Poor Angela, having to deal with that. There's not enough facepalms in the world.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Poor Angela, having to deal with that. There's not enough facepalms in the world.
    Apparently, when Trump was doing his rant, his staff looked embarrassed and Kelly was caught rollings his eyes.

US ambassador to NATO @kaybaileyhutch looks stricken sitting next to Trump as he says "Germany is totally controlled by Russia." https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/trump-says-germanyis-captive-to-russia-in-fiery-opening-salvo-against-nato/2018/07/11/56aa7174-7f0a-11e8-a63f-7b5d2aba7ac5_story.html?utm_term=.4a5b0833efea …

How Trump opened his time at NATO this AM: "Good morning, everybody. Good morning to the media -- the legitimate media and the fake-news media. Good morning to them. A lot of good people here. Surprising."

Merkel slaps at Trump's assertion Germany is "captive" to Russia, reminding him that she grew up in a country that WAS under the sway of the Kremlin, East Germany. “I am very happy today that we are united in freedom as the Federal Republic of Germany."
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Page 1 of 209 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information