Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: In New Memoir, Hillary Clinton Asks Why People Hate Her So Much

Default In New Memoir, Hillary Clinton Asks Why People Hate Her So Much

When Hillary Clinton announced her new memoir, What Happened, she promised she’d be “letting my guard down” in it, detailing her unfiltered thoughts and feelings around the 2016 election. And if the quotes CNN has excerpted are any guide, it looks like she actually delivers. The network reportedly picked up a copy of the memoir, which is out next week from Simon & Schuster, at a bookstore in Jacksonville, Florida. In it, a cowed Clinton combs over her campaign and (somewhat) takes responsibility for her loss.

“I go back over my own shortcomings and the mistakes we made,” she writes. “I take responsibility for all of them. You can blame the data, blame the message, blame anything you want — but I was the candidate. It was my campaign. Those were my decisions.”
    As advertised, Clinton also grapples with why people across the country find her so easy to hate. “What makes me such a lightning rod for fury? I’m really asking. I’m at a loss,” she writes before adding, “I think it’s partly because I’m a woman.”

And in certain sections she talks about her own marriage, reportedly “bemoaning the fascination with her relationship” and attempting to mitigate it:

I heard it again on the 2016 campaign … it’s just a marriage on paper now,” she writes, adding “(he is reading this over my shoulder in our kitchen with our dogs underfoot and in a minute he will reorganize our bookshelves for the millionth time … but I don’t mind because he really loves to organize those bookshelves).
    There were times that I was deeply unsure about whether our marriage could or should survive,” she wrote. “But on those days, I asked myself the questions that mattered to me: Do I still love him? And can I still be in this marriage without becoming unrecognizable to myself — twisted by anger, resentment, or remoteness? The answers were always yes.

On the whole, CNN writes that What Happens “reads like the term paper of a student studying the most unpredictable loss in modern American politics.” And if you’re lucky, it’s coming soon to a city near you.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/09/hilla...-disliked.html

It's a good question. And yes, a good chunk of it is definitely sexism but there is more to it as well, and I don't get it. Sure she's nerdy and super competent to the point of being annoying and kind of awkward and uncharismatic but even that doesn't explain the sheer amount of hatred she inspires in some people. But then I often like unpopular people and am baffled by a lot of other people's popularity so...

But i think an even better question is why the democrats insisted in pushing her as candidate from the very beginning when they knew she was always a tough sell and it's well known how polarising she is even among liberals. And no, I'm not saying Bernie should have been the candidate, I think he also would have lost in a general election.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I too am confused my the incredible Hillary Hate. I don't know if it's because she was just another "dynasty" candidate, like we already had a Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama and then ANOTHER Clinton. I feel like there was a lot of sexism at play. I mean, people honestly asked what would happen to the world if she got her period - because we all know every woman out there will automatically push the nuclear codes if/when she's on her period. (not to mention that she's well past menopause age)

She wasn't a great candidate, she didn't inspire people. She doesn't have the charisma that makes people believe in you. She was, however, probably the most qualified person to run for the office of president in decades. It makes me sad that someone so qualified, who had so much experience, understood the office and what it means to be president lost to Trump. The most unqualified person to ever be president. It makes me sad that my kids see a woman running for office who is so overly qualified and STILL loses to an man-child.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    It's a good question. And yes, a good chunk of it is definitely sexism but there is more to it as well, and I don't get it. Sure she's nerdy and super competent to the point of being annoying and kind of awkward and uncharismatic but even that doesn't explain the sheer amount of hatred she inspires in some people. But then I often like unpopular people and am baffled by a lot of other people's popularity so...

But i think an even better question is why the democrats insisted in pushing her as candidate from the very beginning when they knew she was always a tough sell and it's well known how polarising she is even among liberals. And no, I'm not saying Bernie should have been the candidate, I think he also would have lost in a general election.
    This, all day long. I mean, as far as qualifications go, she's hands down the best person for the job in the whole country. But that's not how politics work.

I don't understand what she's trying to accomplish here, though. If it was me, I'd be all Scrooge McDuck in my giant pile of money and would tell everyone else to go fuck themselves.
    sputnik and panic like this.

I don't get it either. She didn't inspire me as a candidate, she dragged out the old, tired dem plans and taglines when I think what we need (probably always need) is someone with a new vision. But she definitely was qualified and got my vote as I thought she had the best shot at beating Trump.

I hate to play the woman card but I think that is a large part of it. That she is tough and not warm would be ok if she were a man, but not as a woman, that bitch. She is seen as ruthlessly ambitious, taking the heat for her husband's shortcomings. Total sexism right there. Bill was an affable cheat, can't blame a guy, but she stayed with him? Helped cover some shit up? Oh, that bitch is just after power. The idea that she is mindlessly power hungry just took root and that's that. Mind, men in politics are also aggressively power hungry but she has a vagina, so.

See also: emails (ffs)
    Trixie, sputnik, Kittylady and 4 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I can't believe the morons who are still so damned obsessed with Hillary's emails don't seem the least bit concerned that it's probably only dumb luck that drumpf hasn't tweeted out the nuclear codes yet. There is NO WAY his twitter account is a secure method of communication.

I believe it is sexism plain and simple and it still pisses me off. She inspired me and my kid but you know who cares if you know how to be a President? This whole thing is working out for us now right?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I don't understand what she's trying to accomplish here, though. If it was me, I'd be all Scrooge McDuck in my giant pile of money and would tell everyone else to go fuck themselves.
    she's incapable of relaxing though. she didn't get the presidency, can't very well go back to the senate and trump's not gonna give her a cabinet position so she has to do something.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm adding to her pile of money. I'm going to see her in November doing a lecture about her book, etc.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

czb

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I hate to play the woman card but I think that is a large part of it. That she is tough and not warm would be ok if she were a man, but not as a woman, that bitch. She is seen as ruthlessly ambitious, taking the heat for her husband's shortcomings. Total sexism right there. Bill was an affable cheat, can't blame a guy, but she stayed with him? Helped cover some shit up? Oh, that bitch is just after power. The idea that she is mindlessly power hungry just took root and that's that. Mind, men in politics are also aggressively power hungry but she has a vagina, so.

i think sexism is a large part of it. whenever i ask hillary haters (who btw, did vote for her) why they hate her, they say that she isn't nice. nice? i don't care if my president is nice. i care if they can point to countries on a map, if they understand the complications in that area, if they realize that we need to get along with other countries, and if they can listen to their cabinet and advisors. and hillary can do all those things. were teddy roosevelt, abe lincoln, etc nice? NO. would anyone consider judging them by that benchmark? no!

another issue is her awkwardness/inappropriateness in interviews. a lot of the ire towards her goes back to the loretta lynn comment in the 60 minutes interview. and also, the mire that was healthcare reform which she spearheaded during bill's administration a zillion years ago.

as for the college pedigree, yeah, people like the bushes have similar pedigrees. but they have enough 'aw, shucks' going on so voters grab on to that.

i still think a lot of voters vote by a politician's personality, not political savvy or experience.

and i don't know why people are surprised by that. we all have work colleagues who aren't great, but someone in management likes them. maybe it's their attitude, or college pedigree. but people want to be surrounded by people they like. and those people are not necessarily the best at their job.

I don't have to personally like someone to support them for a political position. I try to vote for people based on rational decisions and their platforms.

I think that some people who viscerally dislike her associate her with intellectual elites. Or don't like how she had a career her entire life, even during her child-rearing years. Or that she isn't exactly warm or tries to pander to an audience rather than just explain her political positions.

I've supported her in pretty much every primary or general election she has run in. I actually ended up getting my photo in a major newspaper for the first and only time because I was pictured voting for her in a polling place.
    panic and sparkles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    She inspired me and my kid
    me too.
    kasippu and gas_chick like this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Well she did win the popular vote, so she's still liked more than that orange thing.
    CornFlakegrl, *Kat*, czb and 4 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Or that she isn't exactly warm or tries to pander to an audience rather than just explain her political positions.
    This is a great point. Even I cringe when she tries to be warm or pander by smiling and throwing out some tagline. It comes off as false. Trump had is taglines too but he also said what the fuck he wanted whenever he felt like it. I know, I know, he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about half the time and he changes his mind like a newborn goes through diapers, but people responded to what they perceived as straight talk.

You can sense Hilary's discomfort when she has to toe the line and smile while doing it. That reads as fake. Then again, had she come out and said listen you moron, you just shut your orange mouth, I'm the boss here, well hell, i'd have voted for her twice, but those uneducated, poor, persecuted white men probably would have lynched her.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I think she said it best during one of her debates with Donny Moscow, "Through all these years of public service, the 'service' part has always come easier to me than the 'public' part." Sure, she isn't as charismatic as her husband or Obama, but charisma rarely matters for most male politicians. She was held to a different standard from the beginning.

But I do think the real reason people, even some liberals, hate her so much is because they've unconsciously internalized the decades-long smear campaign orchestrated by the right against her. They've painted her as inherently untrustworthy, corrupt and dishonest for so long that people just started to believe it. And of course, sexism played a big part in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information