Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The draft is coming, pack your bags

Thumbs down The draft is coming, pack your bags

Time was, Donald Rumsfeld didn't think much of the idea of forcing people to serve in the U.S. military. When Charlie Rangel proposed re-instituting the draft back in 2003, Rumsfeld dismissed the suggestion as unnecessary and unwise. "The disadvantages of using compulsion to bring into the armed forces the men and women needed are notable," he said.

But that was then, back when Americans were going to be "greeted as liberators" and the war in Iraq was going to last weeks rather than months. Now that the administration's "day at the beach" has stretched into what the president has vowed will be at least six years of war, the secretary of defense is apparently having a change of heart. At the Pentagon Tuesday, the Marine Corps announced that it will begin ordering as many as 2,500 Marine reservists back into active duty because it doesn't have enough volunteers to serve in Afghanistan and Iraq. "We have been tracking our volunteer numbers for the last two years," explains Marine Col. Gay A. Stratton. "If you tracked it on a timeline or a chart, you would see it going down."

The Marines pressed back into duty won't be the first service members shipped off to serve in the president's war. Through "stop-loss" orders and involuntary call-ups, the Army has required thousands upon thousands of soldiers to stay in Iraq long after their active-duty commitments have ended. As the Los Angeles Times reports today, it hasn't always worked so well: "When its involuntary call-ups began in 2004," the Times says, "the Army encountered problems when some mobilized ready reserve members failed to appear and others were disqualified from service for medical reasons."

Those are exactly the sort of problems Rumsfeld anticipated back in 2003. Will the Marine Corps have a similar experience when it starts sending out call-up letters in the coming weeks? It's too soon to tell, but the Marine Corps' decision bears watching anyway. Jon Soltz, an Iraq War veteran who runs VoteVets.org, says the call-up is "one of the last steps before resorting to a draft."

While he apparently won't go quite that far, Nevada Sen. Jack Reed tells the Times that the call-up is a sign that the military is stretched too thin in Iraq and Afghanistan. "The right way to address the issue," Reed says, "is to increase the size of the military so you do not have to rely on the call-up of the individual ready reserve." That's the supply-side solution, of course. There's another way to get at the problem, but it's the one the president and his party continue to reject: Reduce the need for the troops in the first place.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: The draft is coming, pack your bags

Well, my kids are too young to be drafted but if they were old enough, I'd be packing their bags right now while I smuggled them on to the first Greyhound headed north.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

My dad is former military (he was not drafted, he enlisted himself) and he told me that the second the draft becomes a reality he would pay for my sister and I to head North.

*starts preparing beds, canadian bacon, poutine, and winter clothes for the dirty commie pinko feminazi traitors*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

How old is too old? I know that there were other disqualifiers also, anyone know what they were?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

hey Grimm, if they get really desperate and start a little youth group, a la Hitler Youth, can the rug rats stay with you? The kids are gay-friendly and not too mental...whadaya say?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Well, the dog cage isn't back from the cleaners yet..

Well at long last I can say 'Thank God' that I am over 40!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

What are you talking about, there will be advance units of the elderly on the front lines, and the rest of the units will hide behind them in what is known as operation "Get Behind the Geezers".

^^Well then I can always play the "Gay Card'..they don't like us to be in the military here ya know!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Maybe for draft purposes they'll do all-gay units. That way, they can serve, but won't upset the heteros in the shower room. They can have special uniforms, and everything. Just think of it...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I had heard this too and I would be in it! LMAO. Yeah. Right. They need to wait maybe 10 more years THEN draft me. I figured by them I will be just starting menopause and will be a right bitch. Ripe enough to take out a whole army! LOL Wait.....oh shit, run....HOT FLASH!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Maybe for draft purposes they'll do all-gay units. That way, they can serve, but won't upset the heteros in the shower room. They can have special uniforms, and everything. Just think of it...
    MAIM, KILL, DESTROY..... then redecorate

Sure as hell out*SNAPs* dreary old 'Semper Fi'

Oh, well, I am too old, so they will not want me. But I might migrate to Canada to provide moral support to the young draft dodgers.

Wonder if my son's weed possession will keep him out of the armed services? Maybe that charge wasn't so bad after all, shit, why am I getting my hopes up. It's only a bad thing when it comes to driving or getting a job. I'm sure they'd overlook that indiscretion when his number comes up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information