Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

Talking 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

It became nearly impossible for the Canton, Ohio, school board to ignore the unintended byproducts of its abstinence-only program when 13 percent of Timken High School's female student population became pregnant last year. Thanks to Feministing for pointing us in the direction of this ridiculous-but-true story about a school board that has, to its credit, finally seen the light of sex education.

Of course it took 65 of the 490 female students becoming pregnant within a year to adequately deliver that message, but as Jessica of Feministing queried, "I guess better late than never?"

Sure, we can throw them that bone. The board decided Monday to include safe-sex education in the curriculum, while continuing to promote abstinence. It also plans to replace a few well-worn health textbooks that are "older than some students," according to WYFF 4 of South Carolina. Patty Rafailedes, a physical education teacher in the district, told the station, "If we had math books from 1988, reading books from 1988, as a parent, I would be furious."

Susan Ross, coordinator of health services for the Canton schools, admits the district was well behind the times. "Our sex education curriculum was really outdated," Ross told the Associated Press. "It was about 18 years since it was revised. With kids, having good and updated knowledge is critical." Sounds to me like the adults were the ones lacking "good and updated knowledge." Let's hope their recent enlightenment spreads to the rest of Ohio.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

The stupid school board I had when I was in elementary/highschool is full of christian nutjobs, so we were only allowed abstinence-based sex ed, but it wasn't even required as far as I know. Besides learning about pregnancy and fertilization in Grade 12 Biology, I had absolutely no sex-ed in highschool, and in elementary school all it was was a quick video on how sex works, but it was really vague and completely uninformative. I fucking abhor my school board. They spent millions of dollars in court having 3 childrens' books about same-sex couples banned from school libraries. HATE THEM. Thank god I'm at my beautifully liberal university now!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: 65 students get pregnant after 'abstinence-only' sex ed program dumped

"If we had math books from 1988, reading books from 1988, as a parent, I would be furious."

I'm missing something here. Did math and reading somehow change in the last twenty or so years?

As far as sex education, I had in fifth grade and while there was a certain ewww factor talking about periods, sex, masturbation, etc at that age, I'm glad I was clued in. This girl didn't get preggers until she was ready. And when I was ready for sex, the first thing I did was book a time at the local Planned Parenthood.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

those *evil* thuggish butchers?!

You feminazi!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I'm missing something here. Did math and reading somehow change in the last twenty or so years?

As far as sex education, I had in fifth grade and while there was a certain ewww factor talking about periods, sex, masturbation, etc at that age, I'm glad I was clued in. This girl didn't get preggers until she was ready. And when I was ready for sex, the first thing I did was book a time at the local Planned Parenthood.
    Well I think that sex ed would be something that would need to be updated more frequently as things like sexually transmitted diseases, treatments, new information, etc need updating for more current info more frequently-especially with sexually transmitted disease info. I would think that math and reading would be more of a constant however, so I do think that the person's quote is not so great. Not that much has changed in the last 18 years in math and reading maybe-but a hell of alot of new info pertaining to sex ed-especially concerning sexually transmitted diseases-has come out-and this info can be life or death to students so it really does need to be updated.

*Of course this whole story just shows that Ohio is still in the running for most crazy(or fucked-up) state, and is not quite ready to give up the fight for the crown to Florida or California. Canton is a hole btw and is exceeded in decline only by Youngstown in the state of Ohio.*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm surprised I had decent sex-ed classes. I had it the first time in 5th grade and that was mostly the how babies are made thing. We watched a video where some chick used pancake batter on a frying pan to create a uterus and fallopian tubes. Really weird stuff.

The second time was in 12th grade and it was more the nitty gritty. We watched a birthing video and I thought I'd pass out.

I must have gone to a progressive school...I watched the birthing video in 8th grade! They started the sex-ed in 6th grade and continued all thru school till graduation. I knew everything I needed to know including what STD's have what symptoms (due to education...not personal knowledge for all you dirty minds!).
    Smartest move the school ever made.
    I child-proofed my house but they keep getting back in!

I started sex-ed in fifth grade, and it continued every year until high school, with more info all the time. In high school it was taught in PE in ninth grade, and then every year that you took PE thereafter (was optional after ninth). Also in Family Studies and Parenting classes - we had both of those as electives at my school.

It was extremely thorough - we had lessons, handouts, videos, q & a, guest speakers, quizzes, visual aids, and in elementary school the teachers always had anonymous question boxes that you could place your more embarassing questions in and they would answer the next day. I just can't imagine not being taught this stuff.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

ha ha
    morons. at least they realised their mistake, even if it was 65 pregnancies too late.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I wonder who'll be learning about abortion next

Unfortunately, this same abstinence program is what passes for sex ed in African countries with even more disastrous results -- disease and unwanted babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    *Of course this whole story just shows that Ohio is still in the running for most crazy(or fucked-up) state, and is not quite ready to give up the fight for the crown to Florida or California. Canton is a hole btw and is exceeded in decline only by Youngstown in the state of Ohio.*
    Crap, we were trying to keep that info on the "down low"....

^Awh, that's my town! North Canton to be more precise, a little better... it's also the home of Brian Warner (aka Marilyn Manson), and the Football Hall of Fame, "woo-hoo"!

Not news we're proud of, that's a rough school, but I've got a few employees that have graduated from there, and they've turned out well (no babies yet, going to college, etc.)

Well, crap! Talk about learning things the hard way! I agree that it's fortunate they at least gave in with a better late than never attitude. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Unfortunately, this same abstinence program is what passes for sex ed in African countries with even more disastrous results -- disease and unwanted babies.
    Not to mention that there still is not enough education on AIDS in those countries. It just shows that if people are'nt informed with all aspects of sex, then nothing will get better, only worse.

I remember getting sex-ed in the 6th grade, we were in seperate boys and girls classes for it. I remeber watching a video on how the sperm enters the egg and all that. One of the smart ass kids in the class yelled "Where's the doing it parts" then in 9th class it got more detailed with the birthing video and a video on hookers and STDS. It opened alot of eyes and my school only had about 3 students pregnant by the time I was a senior in a school of 3000.

I'm in Ohio, and I had sex ed twice. Once in sixth grade and again in eigth. I am thankful that I had the information made available to me. I've seen what lack of education will do (the catholic school I went to breifly) and it's a bit scary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information