Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey signals it may invade Iraq, crush Kurds

Thumbs down Turkey signals it may invade Iraq, crush Kurds

by John in DC - 7/19/2006 12:06:00 PM

This is one of the nightmare scenarios that Bush was warned about, and that he ignored, when he decided to trick the American people into supporting the Iraq war.

Turkey invades from the northwest to quell the Kurds, and Turkey just so happens to stay and annex northern Iraq so that Turkey never has to worry about the Kurds declaring an independent homeland. Then just watch what the Shias do in the south, or even possibly the Sunnis in the middle, once they see northern Iraq basically secede. And oh yeah, I can't wait to see what Iran does with regards to southern Iraq and the Shias - will Iran help foment a move for independent there too?

We are now moving beyond civil war, and into total disintegration of the country. And Bush knew all of this was coming - hell, I'd studied this "Iraq disintegrates into 3 states" scenario in grad school twenty years ago, it wasn't a big secret - and Bush simply didn't care. He invaded anyway, he screwed up the entire war, and now we're in danger of splintering the Middle East and getting a key NATO ally into a major war.

And by the way, remember that little tiff Bush had with Turkey leading up to the Iraq war? Bush finally decided we didn't need Turkey's help invading northern Iraq at the time. Well, three years later Turkey may be teaching Bush a much-deserved lesson in what happens when you screw your friends and tell them you don't need them. They screw you back at a time and place of their choosing.

And finally, if Turkey forces us to revise our entire Iraq strategy and redeploy forces to the north to quell whatever Kurdish uprising is taking place, that will de facto hurt whatever efforts we are currently making in the rest of Iraq to quell the situation there. It's not like we have men to spare in the rest of the country. So, we either need EVEN MORE troops in Iraq now, or Bush's screw-up with Turkey is going to put our forces, and security, at risk everywhere else in Iraq.

How many different ways can we pay a price for George Bush's incompetence? And the Republicans want the fall congressional elections to be a referendum on the Iraq war? Make my day.

http://americablog.blogspot.com/
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Turkey signals it may invade Iraq, crush Kurds

Great. Another long suffering people(the Kurds) will be crushed. Like they have not gone through enough. Maybe a separate state for them in Northern Iraq would have been the best thing anyway. But then I suppose that neighboring heavily kurdish parts of Turkey would be clammering to secede and be part of the new 'motherland'. Another area of the Middle East that is just plainly fucked.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Yup, exactly. The Kurds, having been fucked over time and again by the US are about to be fucked over yet again.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

What is going on with this world? How many wars are there going on now? I mean there was US vs Iraq, US vs Iran, US vs Afghanistan and now smaller countries are joining in?

Turkey would never agree to a Kurdish homeland. That's one of the reasons bush sr. didn't finish off Saddam during the Gulf War -- the Turks were afraid the Kurds would get power so the U.S. allowed Saddam to wage chemical warfare on them. Turkey is another spoiled child of American politics because of its US air bases.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    What is going on with this world? How many wars are there going on now? I mean there was US vs Iraq, US vs Iran, US vs Afghanistan and now smaller countries are joining in?

Was wondering the same exact thing. Too many wars.....though ONE is too many.

Anyone else think its very interesting that some of these little military situations have been timed out....almost staggered out? For example: First those bastard Koreans start shooting off missiles and get all hot and bothered when the WORLD steps up and tells them to knock it the hell off....that starts to pipe down and just then, cue Lebanon! And all that crazy shit...and now Turkey starts up.....

My point: It's almost calculated in a way, by these countries, to keep us confused and spread WAY TOO THIN (which we already know is true w/this ridiculous Iraq thing going on). You know what I mean?????

I think they're all in bed together....

Nah, they're not that organized. Plus, most of them hate one another as much as they hate the U.S. At any given time there are probably a hundred or more wars waging in the world, a lot of them civil but they are still wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Yup, exactly. The Kurds, having been fucked over time and again by the US are about to be fucked over yet again.
    Um..they have been fucked over by the entire international community..let us not just single out the US on this. Nobody had done anything for the kurds.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Turkey would never agree to a Kurdish homeland. That's one of the reasons bush sr. didn't finish off Saddam during the Gulf War -- the Turks were afraid the Kurds would get power so the U.S. allowed Saddam to wage chemical warfare on them. Turkey is another spoiled child of American politics because of its US air bases.
    The main gassing of the Kurds (halabjah(sp?)) happened in the late eighties before the first Gulf War happened. Remember? that was when Bush Sr. was supporting Saddam as a bulwark against Iran and turned his head as Saddam comitted his crimes. After the Gulf War Saddam went on his ethnic cleansing phase against the kurds and drove many into Iranian and Turkish territory. just as devastating to the kurds as the gas attacks in my opinion.

What is everybody's problem with the Kurds, anyway? I never have gotten a clear picture on that.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The Turks have been after the Kurds for forever. I knew at one point a couple of Turkish Kurdish refugees and they told me some horror stories. I'm not sure what the issue is in particular, but I'm guessing that it's one of those general centuries old hate things, kind of like the Balkans or similar.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I've known some Kurdish people and the funny thing is, they're a very secular culture and not particularly religious. That might be one reason they are hated.

Halabja was 1988, true, but Kurds were also gassed shortly after the Gulf War. Bush Sr. urged them to stand up to Saddam, they did, and the U.S. abandoned them to Saddam and chemical warfare. It was one of the greatest betrayals of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    I've known some Kurdish people and the funny thing is, they're a very secular culture and not particularly religious. That might be one reason they are hated.

Halabja was 1988, true, but Kurds were also gassed shortly after the Gulf War. Bush Sr. urged them to stand up to Saddam, they did, and the U.S. abandoned them to Saddam and chemical warfare. It was one of the greatest betrayals of the 20th century.
    I wonder if Dubya will betray them in an even worse way then his daddy. I would not put it past him at all. He seems to be even less human than Bush senior. Both are jackals and fuckwads.

^^ That was also the Shia situation but France made the UN vote a resolutionn that allowed the invasion of a country on humanitarian grounds when such massacres ever happen and the Kurd territory became a no-fly zone....and the Kurds immediately splitted in different factions to murder each other...

Now Turkey's interests are too tied to the US and the EU to allow them to take such an initiative, but a point can be made that after the murder of its soldiers last week they could invade the North of Iraq with the same justifications for it as the Israeli ones in Gaza and Libanon

Which would result in a further more complicated clusterfuck.

Can we not just nuke the entire middle east please? Get it over with?

I was trying to say that Turkey won't move, but I guess they' ll try to get compensations for their restraint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information