Thread: Bush caves, gives GITMO detainees Geneva Convention protection

Thumbs up Bush caves, gives GITMO detainees Geneva Convention protection

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Bush administration said Tuesday that all detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and in all other U.S. military custody around the world are entitled to protections under the Geneva Convention.

White House spokesman Tony Snow said the policy, outlined in a new U.S. Defence Department memo, reflects the recent 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision blocking military tribunals set up by President George W. Bush.

The policy, described in a memo by Deputy Defence Secretary Gordan England, appears to reverse the administration’s earlier insistence that the detainees are not prisoners of war and thus subject to the Geneva protections.

Snow insisted that all U.S. detainees have been treated humanely. Still, he said, “we want to get it right.”

“It’s not really a reversal of policy,” Snow asserted, calling the Supreme Court decision “complex.” (No, it IS a reversal of policy, and it is NOT complex. Either they get protection under the law as POW's or they don't. It's not fucking rocket science.)

He said efforts to spell out more clearly the rights of detainees does not change the president’s determination to work with Congress to enable the administration to proceed with the military tribunals, or commissions. The goal is “to find a way to properly do this in a way consistent with national security,” Snow said.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...path=News/News
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Bush caves, gives GITMO detainees Geneva Convention protection

Well at least it is a move in the right direction and they are not fighting the court about it. At least they will have some legal rights and protections now. This will hopefully ease our national disgrace about this issue a little anyway.

eh... you want to bet they're nodding their heads on the surface, but the detainees they really want to keep will be shipped off to CIA black sites with the rest of the uber-important ones.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

too little, too late. how many years have they been there? and the damage the US' image suffered over this will not be as easily reversed.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's more insutlting that the Geneva protection was'nt given when GITMO started getting detainees. And the governement has the nerve to point fingers at other country's human rights violations. I agree, too little to late.

Thread Information