Thread: Bush to veto stem-cell research bill

Thumbs down Bush to veto stem-cell research bill

Ignorant retard.

Mon Jul 10 2006 16:31:17 ET

President Bush likely will cast the first veto of his presidency if the Senate, as expected, passes legislation to expand federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research, White House aide Karl Rove said Monday.

"The president is emphatic about this," Rove said in a meeting with the editorial board of The DENVER POST, newsroom sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

The U.S. House of Representatives has already passed the legislation, co-sponsored by Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., and Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del. If the Senate approves the bill this month it would go to the president's desk.

"It is something we would, frankly, like to avoid," Rove said

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7r.htm
    Then pass the fucking thing. Congress wants it, the American people obviously want it.. you're holding back an entire generation of possible cures for degenerative diseases because YOU think it's killing babies, which is patently false!

*kicks Bush square in da n00tz*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Re: Bush to veto stem-cell research bill

well Bush, like Schrwarzenggar, is an idiot for not going along w/ what the ppl want and I think his retarded azz would benefit greatly from stem-cell findings! bastard.

I don't think stem-cells would b help enough with Bush's alcohol damaged brain.heh

Still, there are many beneifts to stem-cells and it's research. Like Grimm said there could be possible cures for many diseases like Cancer within this research. Of course Bush is all about halting progress that'll put the US forward.

We can;t let science get in the way of Bush's theocratic agenda.

and here's a link on the research if anyone wants to know more about it:
    http://www.aaas.org/spp/sfrl/projects/stem/findings.htm

don't you mean his brain damage from being inbred? On a serious note..do you think he even knows what STEM-CELL research is?
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Words cannot express how much this upsets me. Soooooo much good could come from Stem Cell research, so many diseases and afflictions could be helped and/or cured (from what I have read). And yet, we sit here...idle. THAT PIECE OF SHIT!!! HELP YOUR PEOPLE!! HELP THE PLANET AND FELLOW HUMANS!

Did anyone read the article in Time magazine? It stated that a new breakthru regarding cancer stem cells has been found, owing in part, to the lack of stem cell research. Researchers moved into a different direction and found cancer stem cells, this according to the article could potentially lead to a cancer cure in 15 years.

By that logic, people should have had more abortions so Hitler wouldn't have been born.

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?

The flipside of that is that if stem cell research hadn't been restricted, who knows what cures they would have found for other diseases?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

That's cool, but I think cancer is just going to be a reality of life. If you stop some sort of natural cycle that induces ages your body becomes extremely susceptible to developing cancer. It's pretty weird, it's either natural death or cancer.

Did anyone read the article in Time magazine? It stated that a new breakthru regarding cancer stem cells has been found, owing in part, to the lack of stem cell research.

Well..that doesn't make sense..I am sure they would have been found regardless..
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

This is my neighbor. I hope the best for her.

July 1, 2006
    Resident Has a Double Scenario: Stem-Cell Therapy
    in India for MS, And to Film It and Show the World
    by Gianna Pontecorboli

"The worst I risk is that nothing happens," says Toni Spottswood. But if, as she strongly believes, she will come back walking again, "people will be able to see that there is an option there."

Sixty-two years old and a resident since 1977 when she moved to New York from Boston with her husband and two children, Toni is about to embark on a challenging double mission. The first is to get rid of her wheelchair – to be able to walk again. The second is to show in a movie, moment by moment, that stem-cell therapy can work for her and for thousands of other people. "My hope is to put a little pressure on George Bush, the Congress and the Religious Right," she says.
    When she was 32, a bad flu left her with fingers tingling all the time. At first, doctors dismissed it but, a year later, the diagnosis was Chronic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, a disease with no cure and gradually worsening symptoms.

"I was young and I had two young kids," she remembers, "and I decided that I could not procrastinate any more. I wanted to become an interior designer, so I went back to school. For three years, my life was all cooking, doing laundry, attending lessons, and doing homework. But at the end I could have my own design firm. Peter Jennings was one of my clients."

Unfortunately, slowly but surely, the disease progressed. Toni was falling, and then not even the crutches were enough. For the last seven years, she has been forced to use a wheelchair. "Everybody was telling me to accept it, but I can’t. I am not miserable, but I am always looking for possibilities. I tried diets, physiotherapy – everything but the so-called ABC drugs (Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxone), because they cost more than $10,000 a year and all they do is delay the progression."

Finally, it was a documentary about Christopher Reeve that gave her the hope she needed. In many countries, stem-cell therapy is already a reality, and Toni found a doctor in India who already has four MS patients and can do the therapy for a fraction of the cost charged by clinics in Europe. So, in December, she will leave for New Delhi with her mother, a friend, and a health aide. The treatment will last three months, and she will have a stem-cell injection every day. "A doctor in Mexico now does it with a single injection of 1,500,000 stem cells, but my doctor cannot do that,’’ she explains.

For herself, Toni needs very little. Her kids, her former husband, and the many friends she has on Roosevelt Island are all very supportive; her mother is helping with expenses. But all this is not enough. And that is the reason why she will also be taking along Randeep Kumar, a young movie director whose documentary, The Light of Khiwa, was selected at the South Asian international Film Festival. With his camera, Randeep will shoot the treatment and her progress step by step.

"The movie will cost a lot – about $162,000, but Randeep has agreed to be paid when we collect the money," Toni explains. Right now, this is her job. On July 13, there will be a fundraiser at Gallery RIVAA featuring Krithika Rajagopalan, a classical Indian dancer, and the Urdu poet Roshan Pukhraj. "I sent out hundreds of invitations and I am already receiving the first contributions. I have wonderful friends on the Island who are helping me to put the invitations in the envelopes," she says.

In the future, there will be another step. "I want to create a website and collect money to help other people with MS. I want them to know that they have an option."

I wish her well, too. She sounds like a strong person who won't give up without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters
    Did anyone read the article in Time magazine? It stated that a new breakthru regarding cancer stem cells has been found, owing in part, to the lack of stem cell research.

Well..that doesn't make sense..I am sure they would have been found regardless..
    the article stated that because embryonic stem cell research was halted, the researches instead started looking at stem cells already present in adults, one thing led to another apparently and they discovered a "cancer stem cell". Which is what drives tumor growth and spread in the body. The researchers who are working in this area are very excited and stated that perhaps in 5 years new treatments will be ready to be tested, thru targeting proteins on the stem cells which would stop cancer in its tracks.

Thread Information