Thread: Bringing back the chaingang...bout time!

Default Bringing back the chaingang...bout time!

GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked
    WASHINGTON, Jun. 23, 2006(AP) A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater, who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people. This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall _ now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add 700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8IE74QG0.shtml

Hey why not? They would still be being treated better than American citizens in Mexican custody. Let them earn their ticked back to Mexico, and their meals and health care they receive while incarcerated.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Re: Bringing back the chaingang...bout time!

I pray you fall into the unforgiving hands of Sheriff Joe Arpaio at some point. He should be serving hard time for the things that he's allowed in his prisons. Deaths, brutality, lack of medical care, lack of basic human needs and hygeine. Treating someone like a subhuman is what nations like the former USSR did and it didn't work then, what makes you think it's going to work now?

A few links dealing with this type of antiquated type thinking and action of punishment showing the damage someone like Arpaio has wrought -
    http://www.arpaio.com/
    http://www.mothersagainstarpaio.com/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1299259,00.html

Whatever happened to the notice of taking criminals and educating them, treating their mental disorders, doing whatever was necessary to return them to society as better, rehabitulated, fully functional individuals? Our society would be better off doing than than putting them in tent cities and abusing them.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    I pray you fall into the unforgiving hands of Sheriff Joe Arpaio at some point. He should be serving hard time for the things that he's allowed in his prisons. Deaths, brutality, lack of medical care, lack of basic human needs and hygeine. Treating someone like a subhuman is what nations like the former USSR did and it didn't work then, what makes you think it's going to work now?

A few links dealing with this type of antiquated type thinking and action of punishment showing the damage someone like Arpaio has wrought -
    http://www.arpaio.com/
    http://www.mothersagainstarpaio.com/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1299259,00.html

Whatever happened to the notice of taking criminals and educating them, treating their mental disorders, doing whatever was necessary to return them to society as better, rehabitulated, fully functional individuals? Our society would be better off doing than than putting them in tent cities and abusing them.
    I personally like Sheriff Arpaio's approach. Maybe if all jails were run like his people would think two or three times prior to commiting crimes. There are NO victimless crimes, and for every person in that jail complaining about their treatment, there is an innocent person who was stolen from, raped, murdered, beaten, defrauded etc. If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime. And the idea we can rehabilitate criminals appears to have failed as the attrition rate is terrible. Pedophiles, rapists etc. should get life, no parole period.

You can't rehabilitate a pedophile! lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I do believe prison should be about punishment more than just rehabilitiation. Yes, I agree with having components of substance abuse treatment and therapy while people are incarcerated. But the victims who have been harmed deserve to know that their assailants are being punished, not just 'helpled'. Sorry, but it just sounds insulting to tell a rape/murder victim's family," Well, look on the bright side. At least Johnny will be getting the help he needs". Treatment is wasted on sex offenders, anyways. For them, treatment is just something prisons do to feel like they are doing something, but they may as well flush that money down the toilet. As far as I'm concerned, drugs should not be an offense punishable by prison, anyway. If they changed that we would have plenty of space to keep violent offenders locked up for life, and more money available for substance abuse treatment programs.

Thread Information