Thread: Supreme Court Blocks Bush War Crimes Trials

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Supreme Court Blocks Bush War Crimes Trials

Very interesting. Rats fleeing a sinking ship of responsibility perhaps?

Supreme Court blocks Bush war crimes trials for Guantanamo detainees

GLANCE INSIDE GUANTANAMO BAY
    Facts about the U.S. detention center:

- A total of 759 detainees from 49 countries have been held at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in eastern Cuba, most of them from Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen, since January 2002, when the United States began using the base to hold people suspected of links to al-Qaeda or the Taliban.

- The Bush administration has argued that because the base is not U.S. territory, detainees held there are beyond the reach of U.S. civilian courts.

- About 300 detainees have been released or transferred from Guantanamo. The United States now holds about 450 detainees.

- The Pentagon says 136 of the detainees have been approved for release or transfer, but it cannot release them because they are either too dangerous, unwanted by their homelands or are at risk of being tortured if returned home.

- The United States has filed charges against 10 detainees and was preparing to try them in military tribunals until the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the process was unconstitutional.

- A new wing of the prison, being built for $30 million by a subsidiary of Halliburton Corp., is to open in August, replacing the wire cages some detainees have been held in with a modern complex of concrete and steel.
    By Joan Biskupic, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON The Supreme Court struck down President Bush's plan to hold military tribunals for foreign terror suspects at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, naval base, saying Bush exceeded his authority by setting up the trial system without authorization from Congress.

In a 5-3 vote Thursday that brought a dramatic end to the court's annual term, the justices said Bush's plan which would not allow a defendant to see all of the evidence against him or attend all court hearings lacks enough protections for detainees. The court said the plan violated the U.S. Military Code of Justice and the Geneva Conventions dealing with prisoners of war.

The ruling came in a case involving Salim Hamdan, a Yemeni accused of serving as a bodyguard for Osama bin Laden and delivering weapons to al-Qaeda. It forces the administration to come up with another way to try foreign terror suspects and possibly to seek permission from Congress for a new plan.

Bush and Pentagon officials said Thursday that they were still digesting the ruling, and it was unclear what would become of the 14 detainees who have been designated for trial by tribunals or more than 400 other prisoners at the camp that has been the focus of international controversy.

Bush said he hoped to work with Congress "to determine whether or not the military tribunals will be an avenue" for bringing foreign terror suspects to justice. Absent congressional action, the administration could court-martial detainees under military law.

"This is a blockbuster decision," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a supporter of the president. "But (the court) opened the door to a legislative remedy."

Critics of the administration's moves to detain foreigners in Cuba indefinitely and keep them out of federal and international courts suggested the ruling could lead to the closure of the Guantanamo prison. It was set up in 2001 "to evade the jurisdiction of the federal courts," said Gene Fidell of the National Institute of Military Justice in Washington. "The whole purpose of Guantanamo has been undercut."

The opinion by Justice John Paul Stevens, a Navy veteran from World War II who won the Bronze star, emphasized that Bush cannot go it alone in the war on terrorism. After Stevens read portions of the majority opinion, Justice Antonin Scalia read an acerbic dissent.

Justice Clarence Thomas then read a separate dissent, noting that never before in his 15 years on the court had he been provoked by a majority opinion to announce his dissent from the bench. Thomas said the president was within his authority as commander in chief to create a justice system to deal with the unique threat posed by al-Qaeda.

Scalia and Thomas were joined by Justice Samuel Alito. Chief Justice John Roberts did not participate; he had been on a lower court that upheld Bush's plan.

Stevens, joined by Justices Anthony Kennedy, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer, rejected the administration's claims that Congress' approval of military force after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and other legal grounds gave the president the power to impose the tribunal system.

The case is Hamdan v. Rumsfeld, 05-184.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...decision_x.htm

Default Re: Supreme Court Blocks Bush War Crimes Trials

This whole thing is an obvious violation of international law. We are committing crimes by holding people there without trial or representation or anything. We have opened up a Pandora's box with this shit and any other country can now hold our citizens under the same pretenses that we are holding those at Gitmo. Bush and his rotten failure of a war on terrorism and his abuses of the American way suck!!!!! We are going to be paying for the ramifications of this for decades!

The Supreme Court wants all trials done UNDER THE LAW?

Imagine that! The nerve of them!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

International law aside, there is over two hundred years of US law that prohibits Bush from being "the decider" on this. The silly boy has said he will follow the laws of the country he scarcely leads. One would suppose his boot lickers expect him to lauded for accepting what he CHOSE not to LEARN at the appropriate time. (Before taking office after a lawsuit) I decline, but it is reassuring to know his idiocy hasn't taken over the entire USSC.
    "I had OTHER PRIORITIES than MILITARY SERVICE"-Dick Cheney

"I decided to better MYSELF"-Baby Bush

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Baby Bush said today these detainees were "taken off the battlefield". That means they are POW's. Wonder if his handlers will EXPLAIN it to him?
    "I had OTHER PRIORITIES than MILITARY SERVICE"-Dick Cheney

"I decided to better MYSELF"-Baby Bush

Thread Information