Thread: Condoleeza Rice tells Canada to screw itself

Thumbs down Condoleeza Rice tells Canada to screw itself

OTTAWA — U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice hadn’t even left town this afternoon before the righteous indignation of the Liberal government started anew.

Rice wrapped up a 22-hour visit to Canada — the first in her role as America’s top diplomat — with cordial words but nary a sign of any give on some of Canada’s key bilateral complaints.

She assured Canadians that the word of the United States is “as good as gold” but straight-armed demands for the immediate return of $3.5 billion in contested softwood lumber duties.

“It’s extremely important not to speak in apocalyptic language about this issue,” Rice told a news conference, warning that the rhetoric — if not the softwood dispute itself — could harm wider Canada-U.S. relations to the detriment of both countries.

She reiterated the U.S. position that Canada must return to the negotiating table on softwood.

Rice also politely reminded Prime Minister Paul Martin that her country is already deeply involved in combating the illegal trade in firearms across the border. Behind closed doors, she flatly rejected Martin’s new assertion that the Americans are to blame for rising Canadian gun crimes.

Rice’s unmistakable diplomatic message: Washington is staying the course, so chill out, Canada.

Canada’s unmistakable rejoinder: The U.S. can’t flout the North American Free Trade Agreement on softwood lumber and expect Canada to let it pass.

“We’re going to have disputes,” Rice told a news conference, flanked by Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew.

But softwood lumber, she said, “is not the only issue in the U.S.-Canada relationship and it certainly should not be an issue that somehow is allowed to undermine our very good working relationship on a whole host of issues.”

A working dinner last night at 24 Sussex Drive constituted the heart of the diplomatic mission.

Sources said it was a bare-knuckle exchange, with Martin aggressively pressing Canada’s softwood case and Rice pushing right back.

The subtext of Rice’s warning against “apocalyptic” rhetoric was that Americans have let bygones be bygones on Canada’s rejection of the continental missile defence program, for example, and it may be best to let sleeping dogs lie.

There is no evidence Rice’s message found a receptive audience.

She was still wrapping up her visit at the U.S. embassy when Martin rose in the Commons, a short city block away, to respond to Conservative questions on the softwood file.

“We will not negotiate a win,” Martin thundered, “and we will not negotiate unless we have signs that, in fact, NAFTA will be respected.”

Outside the House, International Trade Minister Jim Peterson responded with sarcasm to Rice’s “good as gold” pledge on respecting international agreements.

“We’ve been off the gold standard for an awfully long time in this country,” said Peterson.

Asked if he detected any softening of Washington’s intransigence in the softwood impasse, Peterson was blunt.

“No, she did not indicate they were going to be moving off that position.”

And he also didn’t shy away from linking the softwood impasse to other trade sectors, although he refused to mention oil and gas by name.

Peterson said that at last night’s dinner, “it was made very clear that we need the NAFTA to be respected and that this is an issue that is greater than softwood, that involves the entirety of our trade that is covered by NAFTA.”

The top adjudication panel of the North American Free Trade Agreement has ruled that $3.5 billion in tariffs and duties collected on Canadian lumber entering the U.S. were not justified. Another $1.5 billion collected by Washington is also expected to be found off-side.

Rather than return the money, the Bush administration has responded that Canada must sit down and negotiate an end to the impasse.

Softwood wasn’t the only issue of substance, but it dominated.

Pettigrew and Rice, between them, listed no fewer than nine separate international issues they discussed today during a meeting that lasted little more than an hour.
    Good as gold my ass, you pack of lying thieves. What's to negotiate? You fucking lost, according to 2 ruling panels.. stick to the trade agreement or don't join them.

We should cut off your lumber, your oil, your water and your electricity.. you can sit there with your 4 billion dollars while California dries up into a desert, you can't build anymore houses due to skyrocketing lumber prices and your eastern seaboard is plunged into darkness while the rest of your population shivers through the winter.

This is one of the reasons people are pissed at America... complete and utter selfish behavior.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That just makes me so angry. The US Administration is like one big spoiled brat that refuses to do anything until it gets its way and I say yay for us on standing up for ourselves in this matter!

I know, I was just listening to the radio about this. Why should we "tone down the rhetoric?" We've been waiting YEARS already for the U.S. to do what they've been court ordered to do. The ball is in their court and the gloves are off, at least on this one issue.

They play hardball when it comes to business all the time; we're just following their example except we happen to have the law on our side and they don't.

Geez Grimmlok..lol..exactly how much water does California get from Canadian sources? And I hardly think we have absolutely no lumber capabilities of our own-Bush will simply log the national forests and even the national parks more so than now. And Quebec provides that electricity..and that is a whol e other can of worms now isn't it?(Quebec I mean) And exactly how much does the US depend on Canadian sources of oil and natural gas? think we would freeze to death without it? Probably not-just pay a heck of alot more for other sources. LOL. Of course I agree with the general sentiment which I take to mean that Bush and his cronies are lying cheating assholes..No disagreement there. Now if only we can get rid of them before the next presidential election...hmmmmmm....any plots..er..I mean thoughts?

Editorial: Bush's 'golden' word

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice bristled yesterday when she was asked why Canada and other countries should trust Washington when it reneges on trade pacts such as the one on softwood lumber.

America's word is "as good as gold," she snapped.

Ah, if only it were so.

The sad truth is, U.S. President George Bush's credibility is in tatters. And not just on softwood. Washington's charming chief diplomat surely knows it.

Americans are coming to believe Bush led them down the garden path into a war in Iraq that has taken 2,000 U.S. lives, cost $200 billion and fanned 9/11 fanaticism.

And Canadians, most of whom never considered Bush credible on Iraq, scoff at the idea that Washington has a believable case on lumber. The North American Free Trade Agreement dispute resolution panels have ruled the U.S. is cheating us of $5 billion by imposing unfair duties.

So Prime Minister Paul Martin did the sensible thing, as a Liberal leader who faces re-election early next year, and made a fuss about softwood and other irritants during Rice's brief visit to Ottawa. That visit came on the heels of trips to 40 more missile-defence friendly, or more urgent, destinations.

With an eye to the American media, Martin singled out softwood, U.S. plans to require passports or other documents at the borders, and the problem of smuggled guns turning up on Toronto streets.

While this must seem like small potatoes to Bush, preoccupied as he is with his own political woes, the build-up of irritants is angering Canadians, raising the pre-election temperature here and corroding a relationship that Rice generously characterized yesterday as "deep and broad and good."

It is a matter of amazement in this country that Bush cannot see all this and clear the disputes from the table.

Canada and the U.S. do $680 billion worth of trade a year, and Canada is a key energy supplier. Rice asked Canadians to cool the "apocalyptic language," given that softwood is but a fraction of our trade. But by that logic, why has Bush allowed this tiff to cast a pall on the bigger relationship?

Moreover, Rice arrived in Ottawa with a shopping list that highlighted the scope and value of the Canada-U.S. partnership in other ways.

Bush wants Canada to do more in Iraq, beyond our $300 million in reconstruction aid. He wants our diplomatic support for his drive at the United Nations to punish Syria for meddling in Lebanon. He wants Canada to take on a bigger role in continental defence. And he is urging Ottawa to help dampen tension in the Middle East, Haiti and Sudan.

Rice also thanked Ottawa — a "generous, tested" ally — for sending troops to Afghanistan, for helping U.S. residents when Hurricane Katrina hit, and for co-operating on security issues. That is high praise for an ally who cannot seem to get the time of day for a trade complaint.

To be fair, Americans carry a heavy burden. The world looks to them for leadership, muscle and cash on everything from fighting genocide and terror, to pressing peace in the Middle East, funding AIDS programs, helping earthquake victims and reining in pariah states. They are distracted by one crisis after another.

And Bush has problems on Capitol Hill to keep him awake nights.

But Canadians have reason to feel slighted by this administration. If Rice carries that simple message home, and lobbies for a remedy, her belated trip will be judged a success.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

We have electricity and water in the US.

Now oil we need. And if Canada has the trees we want !!!

War between Canada and the USA ?

War? More like the yanks walk in, look around, and say "hey thanks" while us canucks mutter under our breaths and shake our fists at 3 decades of military funding cutbacks

Angry

This whole US administration is so fucked up for trying so hard to alienate all of our allies. What the hell are Condimelda and Mann Coulter thinking? Piss off the Canadians?..Right. Our greatest ally and trading partner. The country we have to rely on to keep terrorists from crossing over a 4,000 mile plus border. The country that has in the western oil tar areas enough recoverable oil to sustain the US at its current level of consumption for over 100 years. HELLO you stupid bitches!..back off of Canada...dumb things probably have only one brain cell between the two of them..and neither one appears to have been using it recently.

Oh, but according to Mann you guys just LET us exist for the fun of it.

I've always wondered if the US every invaded Canada, if other countries would come to Canada's aid. I mean, it's pretty much a given everyone likes us better, but would they defend us militarily?

Also, Grimm, I think that even without the military cutbacks, there's no way we could ever defend ourselves solely against the US. I mean, they have 10x the population, and we cannot have anywhere close to their military with our numbers that much lower!

Thread Information