Thread: Jon Stewart: Enemy of American democracy?

Question Jon Stewart: Enemy of American democracy?

This is not funny: Jon Stewart and his hit Comedy Central cable show may be poisoning democracy.

Two political scientists found that young people who watch Stewart's faux news program, "The Daily Show," develop cynical views about politics and politicians that could lead them to just say no to voting.

That's particularly dismaying news because the show is hugely popular among college students, many of whom already don't bother to cast ballots.

Jody Baumgartner and Jonathan S. Morris of East Carolina University said previous research found that nearly half -- 48 percent -- of this age group watched "The Daily Show" and only 23 percent of show viewers followed "hard news" programs closely.

To test for a "Daily Effect," Baumgartner and Morris showed video clips of coverage of the 2004 presidential candidates to one group of college students and campaign coverage from "The CBS Evening News" to another group. Then they measured the students' attitudes toward politics, President Bush and the Democratic presidential nominee, Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.).

The results showed that the participants rated both candidates more negatively after watching Stewart's program. Participants also expressed less trust in the electoral system and more cynical views of the news media, according to the researchers' article, in the latest issue of American Politics Research.

"Ultimately, negative perceptions of candidates could have participation implications by keeping more youth from the polls," they wrote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062201474.html
    That's fucking hilarious.. "Oh no, Jon Stewart is calling all the fake, plasticized politicians on their shit and.. AMAZINGLY... this engenders the perception that politicians.. LIE!"

No fucking wonder people don't vote, it's because they've clued in that 'democracy' has degenerated into a complete scam run by corporations and industry, the people in office are lying assbags and the whole process is useless.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Default Re: Jon Stewart: Enemy of American democracy?

Especially when you're forced to vote for parties instead of the politician who might actually DO something.

SVZ

Pathetic. Jon Stewart calls out a lot of the "WHAT THE F ARE YOU THINKING?" moments.

Those "poltical sceintists" are bullshit. It's better to have a program out there that disects what a politican says or does instead of having hte same damn crap with biased viewpoints and propaganda. It's better to have critical views of the government and ask questions instead of being hyped into bullshit.

Those "study" just wants college kids to stay dumb and uninformed.

OH NO! His program encourages THINKING. When will trhe CONscum (like pond scum, only slimier) start asking that it be redacted? I doubt the vacuous little fratboy prep could understand a word...............
    "I had OTHER PRIORITIES than MILITARY SERVICE"-Dick Cheney

"I decided to better MYSELF"-Baby Bush

SVZ

He's the closest thing to a good looking politician we have

shit he is sexy..I'll vote for you and your hottness alone haha
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

If anyone allows themselves to be influenced in one way or the other by Jon Stewart they probably aren't smart enough to be voting in the first place.

If anyone voted for bush they are obviously stupid chimps.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Chimps, I say!

North Carolina is a "red state," by the by. I'm curious what the criteria were for this study, the control group, predisposed political bents, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah...

haha...I's is stupid to eevvva even find him attractive...

Thread Information