Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing US soldiers found dead

Exclamation Missing US soldiers found dead

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A high-ranking official with the Iraqi Defense Ministry told CNN on Tuesday that the bodies of two missing U.S. soldiers were found Saturday south of Baghdad.

No more details were immediately available.

"Two bodies have been found," Maj. William Wilhoite, spokesman for Multi-National Forces-Iraq, told CNN.

"We haven't made any confirmation if they're the two U.S. soldiers we're looking for."

He said he did not know whether the bodies showed signs of torture. "I haven't heard anything through our official channels," he said.

"Obviously, before we made any announcement, if it was our soldiers, we'd have to make notification to the families," Wilhoite said. (Watch why the U.S. isn't talking -- 2:05)

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, 23, of Houston, Texas, and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker, 25, of Madras, Oregon, went missing Friday after an attack on a traffic checkpoint near the town of Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

Iraqi officials said the bodies were found in the town of Jurf al-Sakhar, 50 miles (80 km) south of Baghdad.

The U.S. military said Spc. David J. Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Massachusetts, was killed in the same attack Friday.

A force of more than 8,000 Iraqi and U.S. troops has been searching for the two soldiers.

In Houston, a member of Menchaca's family said Tuesday they had not been notified.

Group claims kidnapping
    On Sunday night, the Army identified the two soldiers as Tucker and Menchaca.

An al Qaeda-affiliated group on Monday claimed it kidnapped two U.S. soldiers south of Baghdad.

The group -- Mujahedeen Shura Council -- made the unverified claim in a statement posted on a Web site. It did not post images or video of the soldiers as it has in the past.

The statement said, "the strongest army in the world is turned around, ashamed of their failure [to find the soldiers] and we will give you more information on the incident in the following days." (Watch for the witnesses' description of the suspected abduction -- 2:54)

'We're all very concerned'
    In Tucker's hometown, residents were on edge Monday waiting for word.

Jo Guiney, whose son graduated from Madras High School with Tucker, said he's an energetic and smiling young man.

"We're all very concerned," Guiney said. "We, as a community I'm sure, are going to pull together for the Tucker family. We'll have them in our thoughts and prayers and just hope that the best comes out of this incident." (Watch how the Tucker family first learned the disturbing news -- 1:22)

A former mayor of Madras, Rick Allen, told The Associated Press that he knew the soldier as strong, street smart and mechanically inclined.

"He's a tough kid. Hopefully he's got the inner strength to make it through this ordeal," said Allen, whom Tucker worked for at a gas station while in high school, according to the AP.

Menchaca's relatives said they were hoping for his safe return after learning that he was missing, the AP reported. "I'm a little bit nervous, and I cannot sleep. I worry about him, " Menchaca's mother, Maria Vasquez, told AP.

Massive sweep
    U.S. and Iraqi forces had been sweeping the area near Yusufiya where the two soldiers disappeared, about 30 miles southwest of Baghdad.

The U.S. military was using "all available assets," including some 8,000 American and Iraqi troops, an Army spokesman said Monday.

"We will never stop looking for our service members until their status is definitively determined," said Maj. Gen. William Caldwell.

Caldwell said troops were using unmanned aerial vehicles, helicopters, boats and dive teams in the search. (Watch how search uses land, air, water resources -- 2:59)

"We are using all available assets --coalition and Iraqi -- to find our soldiers, and [we] will not stop looking until we find them," Caldwell said.

Seven U.S. soldiers have been wounded during the search operations, he said, and three insurgents have been killed. Another 34 suspected insurgents have been detained, he added.

The three soldiers involved in Friday's attack were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the military said.

The New York Times reported Sunday that witnesses saw the two soldiers led to two cars by masked insurgents.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ing/index.html
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Missing US soldiers found dead

1) There is no doubt in my mind that there exists an active ring of enemy propagandists within the NY Times and other prominent newspapers.

2) These poor, unfortunate American soldiers deserve a respectful memorial service and their families should be proud of their sons -whether you agree or disagree with this war- they served with the finest military in the world.

1) Why do you say that? It's CNN

2) They'll get it, unless Fred Phelps and his evil clan make a mockery of it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    1) Why do you say that? It's CNN

2) They'll get it, unless Fred Phelps and his evil clan make a mockery of it
    The NY Times was spoken of in this article. I hate them on so many levels just like the feminazi's we spoke of yesterday on the abortion thread.

I don't see how their mention and what they said indicates they were propagandists in this instance :|

I don't like that they have "witnesses" to everything that happens AGAINST americans. Do you need to re-read the article?

.. well, some people might have seen it.. do you want them not to ask?

I don't get why this upsets you. Reporters have contacts, and they'll ask those who were on the scene anyway.

Whether the info is correct or not is another matter.

Update!

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The bodies of two U.S. soldiers found in Iraq Monday night were mutilated and booby-trapped, military sources said Tuesday.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker went missing after a Friday attack on a traffic control checkpoint in Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

The sources said the two men had suffered severe trauma.

The bodies also had been desecrated, and a visual identification was impossible -- part of the reason DNA testing was being conducted to verify their identities, the sources said.

A tip from Iraqi civilians led officials to the bodies, military sources told CNN. The discovery was made about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Not only were the bodies booby-trapped, but homemade bombs also lined the road leading to the victims, an apparent effort to complicate recovery efforts and target recovery teams, the sources said.

It took troops 12 hours to clear the area of roadside bombs. One of the bombs exploded, but there were no injuries.(Watch sad end to desperate search for soldiers -- 1:31)

The bodies were found in the Yusufiya area, Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said, adding he believes the soldiers were mortally wounded, then moved.

It was unclear whether he meant the wounds were suffered in the initial attack on a checkpoint or afterward. "Where we found them was not based on their own movements," he said.

The soldiers' families have been notified of the developments, he said.

The bodies were transferred to a coalition base and were to be taken to the United States for DNA testing.

Caldwell said he had not heard whether a note was placed on the bodies.

A high-ranking official with the Iraqi defense ministry had earlier offered a conflicting account, telling CNN Tuesday that the soldiers' bodies were found on Saturday in Jurf al-Sakhar town about 80 km (50 miles) south of Baghdad.

Group claims killings
    Meanwhile, a claim posted on a Web site Tuesday said the soldiers were "slaughtered" in accordance with God's will.

"We announce the good news to our Islamic nation that we executed God's will and slaughtered the two crusader animals we had in captivity," says the claim, reportedly from the Mujahedeen Shura Council, a group linked to al Qaeda. "And God has given our Emir, Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, the good fortune of carrying out the legitimate court's command in person."

CNN cannot independently verify the claim, but it was posted on a Web site which frequently has carried such messages from insurgent groups.

Asked whether he gives credibility to a Monday claim by the same group that it had abducted the soldiers, Caldwell responded, "Absolutely not."

Earlier, military spokesman Maj. William Wilhoite told CNN he did not know whether the bodies showed signs of torture. "I haven't heard anything through our official channels," he said.

The U.S. military said Spc. David J. Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Massachusetts, was killed in the Friday attack, after which Menchaca and Tucker went missing.

Asked to provide more information about the attack, Caldwell said the military would provide details -- possibly as soon as Tuesday night -- after making sure the soldiers' families were fully apprised about the incident. (Watch for the witnesses' description of the suspected abduction -- 2:54)

Menchaca's aunt told CNN the family had been notified of his death.

Menchaca's uncle, Mario Vasquez, said family members were distraught, and were waiting to receive the body before making any arrangements. Earlier, some family members heard of the possible discovery through the media, before being notified by the military, Vasquez said.

"I wish they'd punish the people that do these kinds of things right away, instead of taking forever and spending millions of dollars," Vasquez said. "I think, you capture them, make them pay for what they did. Don't think that it's just two more soldiers. Don't negotiate anything. They [the killers] didn't. They didn't negotiate it with my nephew. They didn't negotiate it with Tucker."

Another of Menchaca's uncles, Ken MacKenzie, lashed out at the government Tuesday on NBC's "Today Show," saying it didn't do enough to bring the men home safe, The Associated Press reported. (Full story)

A force of more than 8,000 Iraqi and U.S. troops has been searching for the two soldiers. Searchers initially found a body that was thought to be one of the service members', Caldwell said, but turned out not to be.

Caldwell said troops used unmanned aerial vehicles, helicopters, boats and dive teams in the search. (Watch how search uses land, air, water resources -- 2:59)

One coalition soldier was killed and 8 were wounded during the search operations, he said. Two "anti-Iraqi elements" were killed and another 78 suspected insurgents have been detained, he added.

The three soldiers involved in Friday's attack were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the military said.

CNN.com

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

so does anyone believe that these kidnappings/killings are done by US govt. secretly or by some muslim "terrorists" w/ stone-age means?

I question why 2 soldiers were left ALONE at a 2 lane checkpoint in a hot zone. Their commanding officer should be strung up.

^agreed. I demand new leadership in that command structure. We need to hold individual commanders accountable.

Well none of the officers in charge of Abu Graihb and upwards were ever found guilty of anything.

I refuse to believe some "bad apple" grunts committed those crimes without instruction from the CIA and upper military command echelons, considering there's documented evidence that Rumsfeld signed off on a whole list of fucked up things to be done to prisoners.

The military is not a resort- they need information and sometimes the wrong people get put in those positions. Maybe if more able Americans would join the coalition of the willing this type of thing wouldn't happen.

..... don't blame the population for the failures of the military heirarchy. It's their problem, their failure at training, and their failure for the whole endeavor.

I can't say that I support the war, but I can say that I have nothing but respect for the men and women who are there, and those that have died.
    My thoughts and prayers are with the families of not only these 2 soldiers, but all who have died.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

1) There is no doubt in my mind that there exists an active ring of enemy propagandists within the NY Times and other prominent newspapers.

You just can not be serious. It was back in Nixon's days that the whole 'liberal elite' myth -- which referred to Jews, by the way -- began. CAn it really be that people are still buying into that crap? Next thing you know, they'll all be considered commies/pinkos. Give me a break.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information